Exercise with extra skin

Options
lkrenz0307
lkrenz0307 Posts: 13 Member
Hello all - I'm about 18 months out from surgery and have lot of extra skin. I wasn't super active throughout the process but have been going to the gym 6 days a week for a while now and feel great and probably the healthiest I've been in my entire life.

My issue is I'm getting held back and sort of self conscious regarding my extra skin. I work out with a trainer once a week (to help keep me accountable) and he asked me to do burpees. I could do them but it was VERY difficult due to all the excess skin hanging down. It's a nuisance in a number of other ways as well but that's the best example of it being a problem so far.

Does anyone have tips, tricks or advice how to work out with the extra skin?

Replies

• AngieViolet
    AngieViolet Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I second that problem. I'm down 130lbs so far, and my thighs are a wreck! It does cause some problems when I'm trying to walk faster. I've already started the foundational garmet thing to help with my thighs and smooth out some lumps and bumps. My arms are a hot mess, but I'm usually ok with that. However, sometimes the extra skin "claps" when I move my arms up and down too quickly...I know, pretty sexy hahaha. My coping mechanism is foundational clothing and humor!
  • Tawnykakers1
    Tawnykakers1 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Haha! I just finished wiping my kitchen counters as my arm fat slapped against my under arm I just had to laugh. Humor helps with this process. When I exercise I use spandex or compression wear. Target has some really cute capris for around 20 bucks. Most stores carry a section of workout clothes. I have even found them at the thrift stores.
  • ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    Spanx is your friend.

My surgeon suggested wearing Spanx or another compression garment all the time. He says that reducing gravity's pull on the skin can help a tiny bit with tightening. It's definitely helping keep my belly fold from getting a rash.
  • MrsDreamer1974
    MrsDreamer1974 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Where can you get compression garment stuff?
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    I have lost about 200 lbs and the skin is not pretty. When I am on the elliptical at the gym, if I wear short sleeves, I feel like the skin on my arms is a blur, and I get the arm clapping too! I bought some long sleeve workout tops, but I only wear them when it's cold, and regular workout pants work for me to hold everything in. I tried compression sleeves but they made me have muffin top on my arms and that was worse than the loose skin. As long as I am not uncomfortable, I just let it all do what it wants, because I can only fight it or cover it so much.
  • blairmundy
    blairmundy Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I wear high-waisted compression underwear I got at Target. It's pretty $$$ for underwear but works good. The higher the waist the better - like the ones that come right up under my bra are best. Then I wear a good, thick legging over that. I prefer the cotton ones unless they are a decently thick spandex. I also get these at Target and prefer the champion brand. I have a spandex pair I got at Old Navy that are also nice and thick. I have a couple of mens workout shirts that might be rashguards now that I think of it. I got them at Academy and the sleeves are just a tad snug and come fully down to the elbow. These are my fav for the gym.
  • janet0513
    janet0513 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I wear compression running pants. They come up nice and high too. As far as arms, I just always wear sleeves