"You want MORE fat!"

Options
I went shopping for some ground beef last night. Looking through the selection I noticed there was only 80/20 and higher. So I asked the meat Mgr (who was restocking right next to me) if there was any ground beef with a higher fat content. Kind of shocked he said "You want MORE FAT!?!" kind of loudly. Trying not to be embarrassed I sheepishly said yes.... he helped me look-there wasn't any with more fat. Definitely akward, wouldn't really expect that from a service type person. Yes I'm overweight and I want a fatty hamburger - I'll see you in 6 months hamburger man (hopefully much more svelte). Anyone else have any stories like that? Anyone able to see the face of the person after you met your goal weight? B)

Replies

• SamandaIndia
    SamandaIndia Posts: 1,577 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    "I thought you were on a diet... and you're eating THAT?" I like the idea of running into them in 5 or 10kgs time. Thxs @heyjude6459
  • heyjude2014j
    heyjude2014j Posts: 48 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    @SamandaIndia - Yeah definitely not fun. Then I went to visit my mom (who knows I'm doing low carb) and she insisted on showing me some pretty desserts that she got from the market. I can't win! Everything turned around later that evening when I ate my delicious steak and home made creamed spinach. :wink:
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    What kind of a stupid grocery store is that anyhow??? The meat manager should be able to custom grind for you at no extra charge. They do at all the grocery stores here... Just choose your cuts and ask them to add lard or tallow or even bacon to the grind. Perhaps you need to find a proper butcher shop where they will appreciate your business, lol.
  • LowCarbInScotland
    LowCarbInScotland Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    That's how I feel when I ask for no potatoes and a side of clarified butter with my steak at a restaurant, like everyone is looking at me thinking, "why is the fat girl skipping the 'vegetables' and ordering a side of butter?" I want to scream... "Because I'm on a die, duh!" Lol
  • moe0303
    moe0303 Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    Well, it is a kind of odd request for them. Typically, ground beef isn't sold in anything more fatty than 80/20 and the common mindset is that the leaner the meat the higher the quality.

Still it would be awesome to go in there in a couple of months and ask him the same thing to see if her recognizes you.
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    That's how I feel when I ask for no potatoes and a side of clarified butter with my steak at a restaurant, like everyone is looking at me thinking, "why is the fat girl skipping the 'vegetables' and ordering a side of butter?" I want to scream... "Because I'm on a die, duh!" Lol

Ok but keep at it because the feeling of being the "skinny" girl at the restaurant ordering two scampi smothered in garlic butter and a bowl of butter to drown your broccoli in, is priceless.
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    moe0303 wrote: »
    Well, it is a kind of odd request for them. Typically, ground beef isn't sold in anything more fatty than 80/20 and the common mindset is that the leaner the meat the higher the quality.

Still it would be awesome to go in there in a couple of months and ask him the same thing to see if her recognizes you.

Curious; where do you live? I commonly find ground beef that's 73/27 or sometimes 75/25, along with the leaner versions, where I live (SE US).
  • LowCarbInScotland
    LowCarbInScotland Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Definitely @auntstephie321 :smile: I look forward to that.
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    Definitely @auntstephie321 :smile: I look forward to that.
    People will stare regardless. I secretly listen to others and think 'no dont order the mashed potatoes on the side, you were doing so good'
  • bametels
    bametels Posts: 950 Member
    Options

Ok but keep at it because the feeling of being the "skinny" girl at the restaurant ordering two scampi smothered in garlic butter and a bowl of butter to drown your broccoli in, is priceless. [/quote]

Love this!

• nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,520 Member
    Options

Must depend where. I can get 73/27 at all my local places (Kroger, Publix, Walmart) if I choose.

Personally I stick to 80/20 for burgers and such and 85/15 for tacos/chili etc. I find I get a better balance on my fat to protein that way, but for someone to do that... Awful customer service skills.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I get self conscious too. Last night I was at my mom's for pizza and just ate cheese and pepperoni, including for dessert when they had cookies and banana bread. The look felt like " you lost your weight now so why aren't you eating normally again?" LOL

I suppose I just need to get used to it since it will be like this for.. Well, forever. ;)

I tend not to worry about getting fatty cuts unless it is quality grass fed, hopefully organic and antibiotic free meat. Fats tend to show the quality of my dinner's diet and where the "chemicals" stay. We're not very set financially at the moment so I can not afford the "good" meats with the good fat. I tend to add quality butter of coconut oil instead.
  • dawlfin318
    dawlfin318 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I get the "your brain needs carbs" line. I tell them to look up ketone and brain, it is not true. I also heard that the heart prefers ketones.
  • inspirationstation
    inspirationstation Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I laughed at " I'll see you in 6 months hamburger man'. We can buy 75/25 here, but I usually stick with the 80/20. I live in MI.
  • sault_girl
    sault_girl Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I don't even know what the percentage is... it's not on the package. It comes as "medium", "lean" or "extra lean".
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    The one with the most fat usually comes packaged in a roll. The best I've seen is 80/20. Sadly, many grocers are dropping their butchers. At least they are where I am in south Mississippi, USA.
  • glossbones
    glossbones Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    Yep our grocery stores here don't actually have any unpackaged meat. They can open a package of meat and repack it for you if you want, but they can't get you a cut that isn't already in their cold storage. Shameful!

Luckily there's a butcher in town but it's very small (the walk-in is no bigger than the one we had when I worked at a frozen yogurt store in high school). I'm also worried they're going to have to move soon (the property owner wants to rebuild that particular shopping strip and they're the hold-outs), and that he may just opt to retire instead. He's the only source of pork belly around here!

I really need to get a freezer and get my meat from grasslandbeef.com ($75/7lb minimum order). Maybe with my tax return... They're having a sale on 75% ground beef, by the way, right now.
  • Lillith32
    Lillith32 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I get the 'how can you be a runner without carbs?' question from a lot of friends in the running community. The answer is, easily, I don't bonk.
  • lowjax75
    lowjax75 Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    I often get looks as well. If anyone asks me, I just let them know I have already lost 40 pounds and I'm enjoying eating fat to get thin.
  • moe0303
    moe0303 Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    macchiatto wrote: »

Curious; where do you live? I commonly find ground beef that's 73/27 or sometimes 75/25, along with the leaner versions, where I live (SE US).

Hmm... I live in NE US, but used to live down south, but never saw anything less than 80/20. I guess I just never looked or asked and just assumed. Godd to know. OK, forget what I said.