Keto Coffee - Best place for it?

Options
So, I've been to Starbucks and gotten a Sugar-free vanilla latte with heavy whipping cream in place of the whole milk before. Love it! Well, we have 2 other coffee spots in town and yesterday I went to Human Bean and requested the drink as I do at Starbucks and the "seasoned" barista gave me my drink no questions asked. Well, this morning I went to them again because, well, I needed to break my $20 to have cash for our office Superbowl pool...I lost. Anyhoo....this morning's barista was like, "So you want non-fat milk?" No. "So, like the latte but filled with heavy whip cream?" Ummm...heavy whipping cream." She literally pulls out a can of whip cream and fills the majority of the cup....long story short, she ended up putting half and half in it....so I'm wondering if that's what the other gal did on Saturday. I can tell you that I'm not planning to go back unless I know better what I need in the coffee. But it makes me worried that the only place I can get coffee is at Starbucks....does anyone here go to Dutch Bro's? Perhaps that's more of a northwest brand, but if you have suggestions how to make this type of order clear without the random or wrong substitutions, I'd sure appreciate it.

Replies

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I tend to take a mason jar of cream or coconut cream with me when I am out for the day, then I can add it to coffee as I wish. I suppose it looks a little odd but I am not often with people who would ask questions about it.

I usually get my coffee in a sealed Contigo travel mug too so I can shake it all together.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    if they don't have hwc (heavy whipping cream)half and half can suffice for a cup. I have found the smaller business owner coffee shops more likely to have hwc (that's just my experience where I live). But, the best place I have found to make keto coffee is my kitchen, :wink: Half caf, or decaf (IKR!) With hwc and sometimes some mct (when I need a cleaning out, lol!), and I'm good!
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    In my experience you have to ask for liquid whipping cream. They might look at you like you're crazy. Just say, don't you have it in cartons in the fridge, un whipped?
    Imagine if you asked for butter too to make it a full on Keto coffee?!? Lol
  • BRobertson23
    BRobertson23 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Believe me, I know everything is better from your own kitchen. Especially because you can gauge what it has in it better....just happens that every so often I will pick up a coffee in the morning or most likely have some when out with friends or family. I just was wanting suggestions or pointers for when I'm "going out". It's good to be realistic and prepared for all situations. I appreciate the suggestions.

Also....what is "MCT"? Not familiar with that abbreviation.
  • BalmyD
    BalmyD Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I know you're looking for a different place but Starbucks has been my go-to. I was ordering double tall breve lattes and when I told the guy at the window why, he said "you know we could make that for you with heavy whipping cream for the same price. "

So I go to Starbucks when I want someone else to make it.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Breve (pronounced "bre" like "bread", "vay"), for those who don't know, is the name for making such drinks using half and half. Some places don't know that, but many do.

I usually just do Breve at most places, because I don't feel like finding out if they have heavy cream or going through the "no...*not* whipped cream, cream. You know, the half of "half and half" that isn't milk? And yes, I want it instead of the milk" thing. Breve is sometimes hard enough.
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options

MCT just stands for Medium Chain Trigliceride and is another source of healthy fat. It's a very bland tasting oil. Some LCHF'ers put it in their coffee instead of coconut oil. I believe it's content is different regarding the types of compounds it contains as compared to coconut oil. Some of the other more knowledgeable members may decide to comment with respect to that.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    ladipoet wrote: »

MCT just stands for Medium Chain Trigliceride and is another source of healthy fat. It's a very bland tasting oil. Some LCHF'ers put it in their coffee instead of coconut oil. I believe it's content is different regarding the types of compounds it contains as compared to coconut oil. Some of the other more knowledgeable members may decide to comment with respect to that.

MCT oil is essentially distilled coconut oil. Coconut oil is already something like 90% MCT, but some people want 100% and don't want the other trace fats and whatnot in coconut oil, so they get the MCT oil. If you want MCTs in your diet, but MCT oil is too pricey for you, you can use coconut oil just as easily.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options
    Believe me, I know everything is better from your own kitchen. Especially because you can gauge what it has in it better....just happens that every so often I will pick up a coffee in the morning or most likely have some when out with friends or family. I just was wanting suggestions or pointers for when I'm "going out". It's good to be realistic and prepared for all situations. I appreciate the suggestions.

MCT oil is a liquid oil that comes from coconut oil. MCT stands for medium chain triglyceride. It contains higher concentrations of the smallest of the medium chain triglycerides. The exact fatty acids that it contains and their concentrations varies from one brand to the next.
    A true MCT oil doesn't contain lauric acid which is coconut oils main one. It is a 12 chain triglyceride (C12) and some people don't actually consider it to a be a medium chain at all. But technically it is considered as one. Basically, the longer the chain, the more work the body has to do with it to turn it into ketones. This is not good or bad. Just the way it works. Lauric acid is very good for you. It's why coconut oil is known as a healthy fat.
    There are MCT oils that contain 3, 2 or just one fatty acid.
    Some have lauric acid (C12), caprylic (C8) and capric acid (C10). But the lauric is in lesser concentration than in coconut oil and the others are a higher concentration. Carrington Farms is one like this. So is a brand called Buried Treasure. Concentrations around 4.5g each per tablespoon.
    Some have only caprylic and capric acid. Again, at higher concentrations than coconut oil. Now Foods is an example. Concentrations around 4.5g each per tablespoon.
    And still others have only caprylic acid. Dave Asprey's Brain Octaine oil or a brand called Mickey T is another one. Concentrations of 15g and 13.6g on those two.
    If you're interested in a fast energy source for mental energy or you just need a pick me up and want to boost ketone production, higher caprylic acid can do that with its 8 chain triglyceride, it requires no processing by the liver and is available immediately as fuel. The brain prefers this form of energy and will even use it before using any glucose present in the blood. This means even sugar burners can make ketones using high dose caprylic acid. This is the fatty acid that is being studied as potential treatment for Alzheimer's and all sorts of other brain conditions.
    With that said, lauric acid has lots of great benefits too so if you're going to use an MCT without it, it's a good idea to still include regular coconut oil in your diet too.
    As you can tell, this subject really grabbed my interest, and I did a lot of reading about it.
    Probably more information than you ever wanted! Lol
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    With all the times I've been to Sbux, I never knew what breve meant. Thank you. :)

There is one barista who seems to show up at every Starbucks I go to; there are 3 near me that I frequent and he works at all of them. He is all about the HWC and a few months back he was trying to tell me that HWC actually has *less* fat in it than whole milk. He even pulled out the cartons to show me. I was distracted at the time (and this was before keto; now I know this stuff cold ;) ). I later realized that he had no idea the serving sizes being compared on the two cartons are totally different! And he apparently tells customers his "secret" a lot.

The last time I ran into him and ordered coffee with SF syrup and HWC he said "Ah, everyone's getting the HWC now, I see I started a trend!" I explained about my LCHF diet and I finally, tactfully, let him in on the serving size difference on the cartons. But I told him HWC is still the way to go. ;)
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    I tend to take a mason jar of cream or coconut cream with me when I am out for the day, then I can add it to coffee as I wish. I suppose it looks a little odd but I am not often with people who would ask questions about it.

I usually get my coffee in a sealed Contigo travel mug too so I can shake it all together.

omg you are a genius. I've been trying to figure out how I can bring my mct oil and cream to work for an afternoon coffee and I was going to buy little containers to fill. but this is brilliant and I have mason jars so I could put it in there then just pour the coffee in it when I make it in the afternoon.

@BRobertson23 yeah starbucks is the only place I've found that can do it the way I want it. but not even all those locations have the heavy cream so I settle for half and half, it's fine just the cream is so much richer
  • motown13
    motown13 Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    Now I need a cup of coffee.... but no butter in it! YUCK! Or coconut oil. :)
  • 1thankful_momma
    1thankful_momma Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Per 8 ounces:
    Whole milk - 11.4 grams of carbohydrate
    2 % milk - 11.7
    1 % milk - 11.6
    Fat-free (skim) milk - 11.9
    Buttermilk - 11.7
    Goat's milk - 10.9
    Half and Half - 10.4
    Light Cream - 7.1
    Heavy Cream - 6.6
    I order a breve and ask if they use half and half or cream.
  • SamandaIndia
    SamandaIndia Posts: 1,577 Member
    Options
    On the MCT oil and coconut oil front, this is an interesting read on potential health benefits:

http://expand-your-consciousness.com/coconut-oil-may-rescue-brain-alzheimers-disease/?t=MAM
  • LowCarbInScotland
    LowCarbInScotland Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Double cream 3.9 carbs for 8 oz

That's what they use to make whipped cream in the UK and I've always ordered that in my drip coffee as they don't have half and half here, nor would they put single cream in their coffee, its just milk or black.

I'd be gaining a pound a day though if I had 8 oz in a latte as its 1104 calories. But at 120 grams of fat, that macro would be sorted out lol
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options
    On the MCT oil and coconut oil front, this is an interesting read on potential health benefits:

http://expand-your-consciousness.com/coconut-oil-may-rescue-brain-alzheimers-disease/?t=MAM

Nice article, though I couldn't finish reading it cuz I gotta go cook for all my monkeys!

From the linked article:

"The researchers noted that a clinical trial, which we reported on in our article MCT Fats Found in Coconut Oil Boost Brain Function in Only One Dose, reported significant improvements in Alzheimer’s disease patients after 45 and 90 days of treatment with medium chain triglycerides from coconut oil. They pointed out that this trial led to the marketing of the FDA-approved ‘medical food’ caprylidene (trade name Axona), but that the public has shown greater interest in coconut oil itself as a potential therapy, owing to its far greater affordability and availability."

Recognize a familiar word in that "drug" name?
    Caprylic...
  • KarlaYP
    Options
    @PaleoinScotland, when using a tbsp or two of that double cream it really isn't that many carbs per cup. I use a 24 oz. cup with two tbsp hwc each morning, so that doesn't add up to very much in the way of fat, carbs...
  • LowCarbInScotland
    LowCarbInScotland Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    @Karlottap I go with single cream at home (it's fattier than half & half, but slightly less fatty than HWC in the US), but am happy to take the double cream if that's my only option when I'm out. I order an Americano with double cream as they don't do drip coffee at Costa Coffee, the big chain coffee shop here. I was just sharing the 8 oz calculations for apples to apples measurement on the other cream options that @food_lover16 had shared, which was related to the original topic of HWC in a latte :smile:
  • KarlaYP
    Options
    :smile:
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    Going to Starbucks is not a guarantee that it will be correct. I have ordered a plain coffee with heavy cream and at least twice is has been interpreted as "a plain coffee with LOTS of cream." Like, half a cup of milk with coffee. Both times, the person behind the counter "appeared" to understand what I was asking for until the obviously wrong coffee came up. One time, the person couldn't even make enough sense of what I wanted to fix it (and it was Disney so the crowd was too much for me to get a refund).

Now, I just keep it black when I go out. Or I accept cream (not heavy cream) in small amounts.