Insurance issues...

Options
So, it looks like I will be stuck finding new meds yet again, despite the fact that my NDT works wonders - my insurance does not cover Armour starting 1/1/16. I am grateful that my doctor's office called me and let me know this, but this is a big pain in the neck. I called the insurance company and was quoted $113.00 for a three month supply - I was previously paying about $20 and I cannot afford to pay that much.

I have an appointment with an ARNP on the 15th who specializes in endocrine issues and I am hopeful. My luck with endocrinologists has been really shoddy - they all seem to treat me like I don't know anything about my own body or medical conditions. I wish I could have one who is like my neurologist - who treats me like I know me, respects that I do my research beforehand, and treats me like an adult who is trying to have the best health possible, rather than a child who needs to be schooled.

Does anyone have any recommendations for Armour alternatives? I do not know if the removal of coverage is for all NDT or just Armour. I just got free T3/T4 tested and am waiting on results - I suspect I have some conversion issues, so pure T4 isn't quite going to cut it.

Replies

• Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,300 Member
    Options
    I feel for your insurance issues. Nowhere is perfect. It might be the one kind of NDT is being targeted. Someone I am in contact with in your broad neck of the woods had cost issues with her NdT but I can't remember how she got round it. It may have been that some companies are willing to help without intermediaries I will try to find out for you. It could be that she is a similar vintage to myself, heading down the wrong side of the hill.

If you find you have no alternative some endo's will prescribe T3 and T4 in combination, this may not quite hit the spot even if they are in a similar ratio to your NDT. NDT is said to have T1 and T2 in it, what they do is not known, I think, but they could come into a recycling system, our bodies are too cleaver to let useful things go too easily if they can help it. T3 often requires a couple or more doses in a day. I read a book by Paul Robinson saying how he is on T3 only and for him it works. This is a less often pursued line of treatment. At that time t3 was not available in slow release or there was an issue for some of achieving the efficient level of t3 as itwas ingested, in that it did not achieve the activity level that person required. He also said his search for the best level of t3 for him was not without trial and error. Were you blessed with an endocrinologist who sees you as an individual and not someone in that template they might explore the possibility of poor conversion rates or prescribe on evidence a higher level of t3 to t4, just thinking.

I look into the availability and cost of NDT in the UK yesterday. I discovered through the Thyroid UK site the names of accredited suppliers of NDT into the NHS. To my surprise the one site I went into offered an on line consultation with a doctor for UK residents. More than this it gave options for someone, with and without or private prescriptions and an option for those who do not pay our prescription charges. I did not take my investigations any further. I hope this may help someone more sure of what is good for them.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Ugh, for anyone wondering what the primary driver is for increase medical costs, look no further than the insurance industry.

For your issue contact the manufacturer and find out if you qualify for a reduced cost plan:

http://www.frx.com/Company/Contact

I did not see this department on the company website, but explain your issue with customer service and they should relay you to accounting.
  • bluepotatoes66
    bluepotatoes66 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I ended up talking to a doctor and she sought out a prior authorization for me for the NDT. So, for 2016, I have covered access to my Armour. I will have to take up the battle again next year, of course, but it's a little weight off my shoulders for now.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    I ended up talking to a doctor and she sought out a prior authorization for me for the NDT. So, for 2016, I have covered access to my Armour. I will have to take up the battle again next year, of course, but it's a little weight off my shoulders for now.

HooYah!!!