Replies

• MrAstro
    MrAstro Posts: 24 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Eileen_S wrote: »
    davp70 wrote: »
    heybales wrote: »
    With workaround - they don't need to figure out immediately why it happens to screw things up with it though it seems it shouldn't touch those figures anyway.

As someone who does use the app, I would like to see it fixed asap - not by some unintuitive workaround. It shouldn't be broken, and I should be able to trust the headline figures the app tells me - well at least trust that MFP hasn't randomly applied some spurious adjustment.

Hopefully they'll fix it soon for those of you that rely on the numbers. If not, Fitbit has their own calorie tracking feature that you can use.

The MFP Calorie tracker estimates your final calorie expenditure very accurately (when it works) and it takes your exercise into account as you do it and doesn't assume you'll be doing any more later on in the day. That's great for me because I'll often do 90 minutes of walking in the morning and then remain largely sedentary for the rest of the day.

Fitbit on the other hand is really inaccurate as an estimator for your final calorie burn - it even tries to guess from your previous history - so it's a pretty poor guesstimate. It also thinks if you've done some exercise that there's a good chance you'll continue to do some more exercise (overly optimistic) Fitbit is more interested in people that want to just lose weight and as a motivational tool.

Personally I use MFP's final estimate as a way of maintaining my weight by planning what I eat each day and balancing it to my daily calorie burn. I never know where I am with fitbit until the very end of the day but with MFP I have a very good idea in advance.
  • NancyN795
    NancyN795 Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    MrAstro wrote: »
    Eileen_S wrote: »
    davp70 wrote: »
    heybales wrote: »
    With workaround - they don't need to figure out immediately why it happens to screw things up with it though it seems it shouldn't touch those figures anyway.

As someone who does use the app, I would like to see it fixed asap - not by some unintuitive workaround. It shouldn't be broken, and I should be able to trust the headline figures the app tells me - well at least trust that MFP hasn't randomly applied some spurious adjustment.

Hopefully they'll fix it soon for those of you that rely on the numbers. If not, Fitbit has their own calorie tracking feature that you can use.

The MFP Calorie tracker estimates your final calorie expenditure very accurately (when it works) and it takes your exercise into account as you do it and doesn't assume you'll be doing any more later on in the day. That's great for me because I'll often do 90 minutes of walking in the morning and then remain largely sedentary for the rest of the day.

Fitbit on the other hand is really inaccurate as an estimator for your final calorie burn - it even tries to guess from your previous history - so it's a pretty poor guesstimate. It also thinks if you've done some exercise that there's a good chance you'll continue to do some more exercise (overly optimistic) Fitbit is more interested in people that want to just lose weight and as a motivational tool.

Personally I use MFP's final estimate as a way of maintaining my weight by planning what I eat each day and balancing it to my daily calorie burn. I never know where I am with fitbit until the very end of the day but with MFP I have a very good idea in advance.

That's why most of us prefer to use MFP for our guide as to how much we can eat. Using Fitbit's is more of a workaround for when the MFP<->Fitbit syncing isn't working well. However, it isn't as bad as you portray it.

If you set Fitbit to "Sedentary" rather than "Personalized" (on the Food Log page) it won't assume you will be exercising any more that day and won't base it's calorie estimate on previous history. You'll start the day with not very many calories to eat, but it will increase as you get active, and you'll end up with just as many as MFP would have given you.
  • NancyN795
    Options
    Until today (actually, it probably started sometime yesterday) I had been blissfully unaffected by this bug. Then, today, the numbers I was seeing didn't make sense. I went to Apps->Steps on the web site and sure enough, the selection had spontaneously switched from "Fitbit Tracker" to "Don't track steps". Grrrr. I switched it back and everything is fine again, although I did have to use the trick of adding and deleting a 1 calorie exercise entry to fix yesterday's adjustment.

So, the bug still isn't fixed, but I'm sure glad I had been reading here and knew what to do about it.
  • robingmurphy
    robingmurphy Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    NancyN795 wrote: »
    Until today (actually, it probably started sometime yesterday) I had been blissfully unaffected by this bug. Then, today, the numbers I was seeing didn't make sense. I went to Apps->Steps on the web site and sure enough, the selection had spontaneously switched from "Fitbit Tracker" to "Don't track steps". Grrrr. I switched it back and everything is fine again, although I did have to use the trick of adding and deleting a 1 calorie exercise entry to fix yesterday's adjustment.

So, the bug still isn't fixed, but I'm sure glad I had been reading here and knew what to do about it.

Yay, I'm glad I read this! I made this change and it fixed my problem! I was going crazy not getting an accurate adjustment, and when I emailed support they just said "We're working on it."
  • samgamgee
    samgamgee Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    ^ This just fixed it for me too, after days of it being messed up! Phew!
  • Jonna13
    Jonna13 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    mrschikin wrote: »
    Lourdesong wrote: »
    In the IOS app under the "more" menu, I went to "steps" and saw Fitbit was not selected, instead "don't track steps" was selected. So, I changed it to track steps with Fitbit, and the adjustments have been correct for about 1/2 hour now. MFP burn number has stayed the same at 1770 at every sync.

I did this too! I almost never use the app -- I tend to use the website -- so I never even though to check. But I saw this post and went to the app and made the change, and so far it seems to have fixed the problem for me.

This change also worked for me. If you're still having trouble, please give this a go.

This seems to have solved the problem for me as well :)
  • CoffeeNCardio
    CoffeeNCardio Posts: 1,847 Member
    Options
    Been working great for me too. Totally solved the issue. (the adding steps from fitbit setting fix mentioned above.)
  • Ke11yJoAnne
    Ke11yJoAnne Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Finally! Thank you NancyN795 ... Signing onto the main website and going to the Apps, then Steps in the submenu and resetting it worked for me too. :)
  • MrAstro
    MrAstro Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I'd love to know why it suddenly mucked up in the first place. They must have scrubbed people's settings when they updated the IOS app or something?
  • burns429
    burns429 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    the last 3 days are messed up for me. I went as far as disconnecting and reconnecting the accounts. Now MFP is calculating the wrong base burn and pulling the wrong actual burn from FB...
  • NancyN795
    Options
    MrAstro wrote: »
    I'd love to know why it suddenly mucked up in the first place. They must have scrubbed people's settings when they updated the IOS app or something?

Nope, it has nothing to do with the app. I use Android and I don't think the Android app updated anytime close to when mine suddenly changed the steps setting. I believe I saw that even some people who don't use the phone apps at all have been affected.
  • NancyN795
    Options
    burns429 wrote: »
    the last 3 days are messed up for me. I went as far as disconnecting and reconnecting the accounts. Now MFP is calculating the wrong base burn and pulling the wrong actual burn from FB...

Check your Steps setting. That seems to be key. I have no idea how in the world that can mess up the base burn that MFP calculates, but it does.
  • GSV3MiaC
    GSV3MiaC Posts: 22 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    While it might work for some people, it doesn't work for me. I use PC and android, only, and on android I use the web page not the app. MFP is calculating completely different calorie burn numbers from what it used to (maybe more accurate, who knows) but then it is using a different number to calculate the fitbit adjustment from the number it then adds the fitbit adjustment to .. resulting in wildly wrong total calorie burn estimate, and one that changes every time it synchs.

Basically completely useless .. just have to look at the numbers on the fitbit web page (or app) instead, until they fix it .. except today I see FB adding in 3 different versions of 'breakfast' from MFP, so that is a different problem. 8<.
  • NancyN795
    Options
    GSV3MiaC wrote: »
    While it might work for some people, it doesn't work for me. I use PC and android, only, and on android I use the web page not the app. MFP is calculating completely different calorie burn numbers from what it used to (maybe more accurate, who knows) but then it is using a different number to calculate the fitbit adjustment from the number it then adds the fitbit adjustment to .. resulting in wildly wrong total calorie burn estimate, and one that changes every time it synchs.

Basically completely useless .. just have to look at the numbers on the fitbit web page (or app) instead, until they fix it .. except today I see FB adding in 3 different versions of 'breakfast' from MFP, so that is a different problem. 8<.

I don't think it matters if you use the app. You still have to have the "Steps" source correctly set to "Fitbit Tracker" or it messes up your MFP burn. On the web site, go to the Apps page, then select Steps at the top. Check to see that it is correct. If you confirm that is correct, then, yes, you are experiencing a different bug and you need to open a new issue with customer service.

The "3 different versions of breakfast" thing is, as you said, a different problem. It has happened to me occasionally, but I've always been able to look on MFP, figure out which was the "real" meal summary, and delete the others.
  • dbvirago
    dbvirago Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    On the web, on the exercise tab under settings, the allow negative adjustments had somehow come unchecked. This brought my exercise deficit back to where it should be.
  • thegilly6
    thegilly6 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    NancyN795 wrote: »

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! What a wierd and stupid thing!
  • JordisTSM
    JordisTSM Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    So, had this happen the other day, like others, MFP had do not track steps selected, so changed it to Fitbit, everything working fine.....

until just now, when I tried syncing, and nothing coming through to MFP. The do not track steps was once again selected. Changed it back and we're good to go again.

This is getting a tad ridiculous. Once you select it, it should remain selected. Do not want to have to keep doing this!
  • katyyydidd
    katyyydidd Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Yay thank goodness for this thread! It looks like this affected me yesterday as well, I just hadn't noticed, but I almost reached my step goal today and noticed there was something wrong. Changed that steps thing and we're back in business. Thanks!
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    For those where the web setting is reverting back to No tracking selected - do you use the app also, or have it installed or did register it at some point?
  • wrighty11146
    wrighty11146 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    anyone suddenly having issues where your calorie burn is no longer deducting from MFP ? Ive reinstalled MFP and didnt fix it, gonna try Fitbit too.