Magnesium oxide is the devil

Options
Deena_Bean
Deena_Bean Posts: 906 Member
That's it. I ditched it - both my husband and I had some bad luck with our tummies at only the 250mg dose. I was hoping to not waste them, but they're getting trashed for sure. Maybe another kind...I've been reading, but now I'm totally hesitant to even mess with it. I'm prone to bloating and I have a super sensitive digestive tract...gas pressure is easily triggered - and sorry if that's TMI, but the Mag-Oxide seemed to just screw me up horribly. Boo.

Replies

• ms_smartypants
    ms_smartypants Posts: 8,278 Member
    Options
    I take magnesium citrate 200mg ( I take 2 daily) with no problems
  • sault_girl
    sault_girl Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I know my doctor said to get citrate, glutimate or ?? I forget the other one, but NOT mag oxide. The one I have is a mix of all 3 and I've been ok on it (although once my tummy got upset and coincidentally I *may* have taken 2 tablets that morning because I couldn't remember if I took it or not).

Ms. Smarty where did you get the citrate only tabs?
  • sault_girl
    sault_girl Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Also OP, instead of trashing them, if they are dissolvable I would consider using them in your garden if you grow tomatoes in the summer; rather than tossing them out maybe crush/dissolve in a bucket or watering can. Tomatoes like magnesium. I have no idea how much but I would try it.
  • ms_smartypants
    ms_smartypants Posts: 8,278 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    sault_girl wrote: »
    I know my doctor said to get citrate, glutimate or ?? I forget the other one, but NOT mag oxide. The one I have is a mix of all 3 and I've been ok on it (although once my tummy got upset and coincidentally I *may* have taken 2 tablets that morning because I couldn't remember if I took it or not).

Ms. Smarty where did you get the citrate only tabs?

I got mine at the vitamin shoppe....You can also order them from amazon
  • batlott
    batlott Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    We just threw the mag oxide tablets in the garden and dug them in. They dissolved on their own.
  • SamandaIndia
    SamandaIndia Posts: 1,577 Member
    Options
    Mag citrate is absorbed better, or so I am told. Good luck.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    I do a chelated magnesium citrate, 135 mg, 2 capsules daily. I try always to advice AGAINST oxide. It's what they give you before a colonoscopy. I have a bottle at home, too. 3 days in and I ... well, messed myself in my sleep. Never again.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,958 Member
    Options
    Magnesium citrate, glycinate, or malate.

• Deena_Bean
    Options
    @KnitOrMiss - sorry to hear that, so glad it didn't get that far for me...I could see it happening, though

Love the garden idea! I want to grow a few things this year, so I will do that.

I will try a different kind, thanks for the advice :)
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    From things I've heard on different podcasts, I think glycinate is thought to be the best absorbed and gentlest. But citrate is also recommended as a good choice.
    Something else I've learned about magnesium in general though, is that if it's causing a digestive response, it means there's more than your body can use. So you just need to lower the dose. I think oxide, just naturally comes with this effect though at different doses. But, you may just not be very deficient and don't need very much. Though that's not as common these days.
    There are some really good powdered mixes that you drink that would make controlling your dosage a little easier if you don't actually need much.
    I just finished off this one. It tasted like a sour lemonade type drink.
    9dwji5enl383.jpeg
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    I use glycinate now I had used citrate before. The glycinate has a calming effect and helps me sleep better too.
    http://forum.bulletproofexec.com/index.php?/topic/2078-bulletproof-magnesium-thread/
  • KETOGENICGURL
    KETOGENICGURL Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    SunnyBunny-- I found that brand at the HFS, and yes it is a good way to get Mg..I like the berry flavor one best.

lastly- Mg Oxide is ONLY absorbed by about 4% TOTAL..no matter how cheap it is.....so all it does is act as a laxative, and does not deliver good Mg to the system,
  • Deena_Bean
    Options
    I sort of think I'm probably not super deficient in it, but I like the idea of the drink mix stuff. The plan is to buy something today, I just have to decide what now.

On a side note - the photos always show up in a ginormous fashion - is that the case with everyone? It's kind of annoying.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,958 Member
    Options
    Deena_Bean wrote: »
    I sort of think I'm probably not super deficient in it, but I like the idea of the drink mix stuff. The plan is to buy something today, I just have to decide what now.

On a side note - the photos always show up in a ginormous fashion - is that the case with everyone? It's kind of annoying.

Yes. They "fixed" something and it started doing this a while back. Sigh... :tired_face:
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    I had similar issues with magnesium citrate, and broke them in half to take a smaller amount. I got used to them after about a week and take a whole tablet now.
  • mormas
    mormas Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Just posted this elsewhere, but was just wondering if any of you had any thoughts.

I take a supplement which has 400mg of magnesium oxide and 350mg of potassium in it, to help with my BP. I hear that Magnesium Oxide isn't absorbed as much as other types of Magnesium (who knew there were so many), and that in 400mg of Magnesium oxide, only about 280mg will be absorbed (I believe guidelines vary slightly, but should be about 300mg) so should I supplement this with 100mg of Magnesium citrate. I don't want to overdose it as I believe there can be some unpleasant side effects.

My supplements ingredients are;-
    Potassium chloride, magnesium oxide, bulking agents (cellulose, cross-linked sodium carboxymethyl cellulose), anti-caking agents (mono- and diglycerides of food fatty acids, magnesium salts of food fatty acids, silicon dioxide, talcum), hydrogenated palm oil, coating (hydroxypropylmethyl cellulose, polyethylenglycol), ferrous fumarate, Vitamin B6 (as pyridoxine hydrochloride), zinc oxide, Vitamin B12 (as cyanocobalamin), colour titanium dioxide.

Nutritional Data
    Typical Values One tablet contains (% RDA*)
    Vitamin B6 6mg (429 %)
    Vitamin B12 6µg (240 %)
    Potassium 350mg (18 %)
    Magnesium 400mg (107 %)
    Iron 4mg (29 %)
    Zinc 5mg (50 %)
    Energy 7.6kJ/1.8 kcal
    Proteins -
    Carbohydrates 0.20g
    Fats 0.2g
    *Recommended Daily Allowance
  • dietbepsi
    dietbepsi Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Ugh, it was my second time trying the magnesium and I had to do the oxide because that's what I had. But I'm going to buy the right kind. And sure enough I had wacky ridiculous dreams last night, and terrible stomach pains. So it's definitely that.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
  • Deena_Bean
    Options

I bought this one, going to try it today...although I'm only taking one pill instead of 2...see how that goes over a couple of days.