gained??

Options
joyfullee
joyfullee Posts: 23 Member
I'm wrapping up week 2 of the induction phase. I lost only 7 lbs...and this morning gained 1 lb. I'm following this diet to the letter, and I'm even tracking my calories. I read if you had more than 50 lbs to lose you could lose up to 15 lbs in the first two weeks. So im discouraged. Can anyone tell me what mistakes they made in the beginning of low carbing? I have a feeling I'm making mistakes I'm not aware of...

Replies

• CoffeeSalty
    CoffeeSalty Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Don't be discouraged!! I'm almost eight weeks in and have only lost six. With mentioning induction, it sounds like you're doing Atkins. It's not unusual for weight to fluctuate after induction is over as it's probably a lot of water loss. I'd never bank on losing 15 lbs. in two weeks no matter what plan is being done. I would love it lol, but not typically feasible. Are you in ketosis?
  • ettaterrell
    ettaterrell Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    Week 2 and 3 are usually when people stall for a week or 2. It is very common just keep eating right stop studying the scale of it discourages you in this time. It will start dropping off again if your eating right trust me.
  • joyfullee
    joyfullee Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    The strip shows I've only been in "trace". A couple days last week it was in "low" but I've been "trace" all week.
  • ambergem1969
    ambergem1969 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    It sounds to me like you are doing everything right! 7 lbs is awesome...stay the course and all will be well. Ketostix are notoriously unreliable but if I remember, ANY signs of ketosis means that its working.

15 lbs would be a lot of weight to lose and probably a maximum loss - for a very overweight man as men lose weight more easily than women do..

As for the weight gain, if you are on plan it won't be fat gain...just water. I've been at this for 7 months and my weight goes up and down all the time, but the general trend is downward.

Check out the launch pad in the stickies at the top of the page - there's lots of good info in there that helps navigate the early phases.

You're doing great!
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Here's a recent thread discussing the same. Lots of great info shared in here.
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10330684/doing-what-i-am-supposed-to-do-getting-frustrated#latest
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,803 Member
    Options
    Don't get discouraged. There are tons of reasons for stalls and even small gains here and there along the way. I typically go down, hold my weight for a few days, then I go up a smidge, then back down to a new low weight. As long as the trend keeps going down I'm happy! Don't give up! Most likely you are doing everything right.
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    What's your caloric deficit?
  • LowCarbInScotland
    LowCarbInScotland Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Congrats on losing 7 lbs your first week! That's very exciting :smile: I have a LOT of weight to lose and have been pretty darn strict with my eating habits and it took me 30 days to lose my first 15 lbs.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Seriously. There's nothing going on that would require any intervention. You said you're wrapping up week two and ONLY lost 7 pounds... What do you mean only? That's amazing!
    I promise you haven't gained a pound of fat overnight. It's just water or hormones or whacky scale. Read that thread I shared. You'll see my daily weigh ins there. They look like a roller coaster ride! And I've only lost 4 pounds since September but... That 4 pounds looks like this!
    syjkep1zynx0.jpeg
    Gaining muscle is not an explanation for this as I have done no exercise during that time.
  • SamandaIndia
    SamandaIndia Posts: 1,577 Member
    Options
    7lbs is awesome. Your only error may be unrealistic expectations. I can loose up to 12lb in a month or as little as 0 -0.5 lb. Wishing you success n patience to ride this roller coaster with us.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I think weight loss reality shows have given people in general an unrealistic expectation of weight loss amounts. I see it so many times where people "only" lose 5, 7, 8 pounds in a week or two and wonder what they've done wrong. You've done nothing wrong! Losing that in a month is fantastic, let alone a week or two!
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,956 Member
    Options
    Dragonwolf wrote: »
    I think weight loss reality shows have given people in general an unrealistic expectation of weight loss amounts. I see it so many times where people "only" lose 5, 7, 8 pounds in a week or two and wonder what they've done wrong. You've done nothing wrong! Losing that in a month is fantastic, let alone a week or two!

Exactly.
    We have to remember that these people have trainers and pretty much do nothing but exercise and eat lowfat/lowcal diets. And a cadre of doctors are waiting in the wings for when (not if) they get sick or injured in the doing. Losing that much weight weekly, unless you have a lot more than 100lb to lose, isn't typical. And sometimes isn't safe.

Normal human beings can safely lose 1-3lb per week consistently in a healthy way. It's more realistically to expect the average to be 1lb/week though. Provided, of course, you are being consistent. If you only have 20lb to lose, expect a half lb loss.

I had 102lb to lose. I lost big in the first few months, but it slowed over time. The average ended up being 2.5lb/week in the first 6 months or so. It slowed down further after that. A lot.

Further, as has been mentioned, your body pauses, making changes in composition and/or retaining water. That's NORMAL to experience.

Unfortunately, weight loss requires time and patience. And it isn't going to be a straight line downward. There WILL be bumps and plateaus. It's the nature of the beast. And yeah, it's hard stuff. But it will happen. It's best to not get too upset about it. The key to that is to realize all that we have said as true and accept it. You'll get there. Time has to pass first though. How much time depends on how much you have to lose, genetics, your health, and your personal metabolism and metabolic history.