50extra - My weight loss journey with all the embarrassing details

Options

Replies

• angie_kins
    angie_kins Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    @50extra congrats on your journey so far! Your posts are funny and motivating, it's good for me to read about the realities of someone else's journey to help me remember that mine
    won't be perfect either. Thanks so much for sharing! I'm on MFP most days, trying to do LCHF and be consistent with exercise, please add me as a friend if you'd like! --Angie
  • 50extra
    50extra Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    Hey Angie thanks for reading this, I'll add you as soon as I get on a pc, I'm too stupid to do it on my iPad.

Well I made it home from Russia and its great. I ate like a slob for the two travel days and drank a few beers while I overnighted in Frankfurt. I didn't log anything for the trip but was over for sure. I did step on the scale and have mediocre results but the weigh in day is Monday so I'll update then. I plan on shedding a couple pounds by then.

I had crazy energy this morning and crushed a great cardio session. As I am writing this my wife's buying me a tape measure so Monday's update will be a good one.

Have a great weekend everyone!
  • LottieStanley
    LottieStanley Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    You are getting there. I'm glad you're going home. It's hard when you have to travel.
  • kettiecat
    kettiecat Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Looking forward to the update!
  • PrimalJillian
    PrimalJillian Posts: 1,129 Member
    Options
    Glad to hear you made it home. I'm looking forward to the Monday update too!
  • Kell2912
    Kell2912 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    Glad you got home ok mate and that you're keeping up the good work now you're there. I'm also doing the tape measure thing tomorrow and will post the shocking numbers when I do them. Keeps us posted with everything
  • totaldetermination
    totaldetermination Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    Glad you made it home - that sounds like quite a journey !

Have fun with the Heart Rate Monitor. I guess that 60" TV is on the way :smile:.
  • LottieStanley
    Options
    Hey 50extra miss your posts!!!
  • 50extra
    Options
    Ok so I guess now is as good of time as any to do my Monday update and there's lots to talk about.

First, my weight. I was able to drop 10 pounds since I weighed myself on January 12th. It's not as much I was hoping for but I will take it. It sure would have been nice to see 229 though. I really started following a plan on about January 18th and have had many overages since then. Valentine's Day weekend was a disaster for eating. Friday night we had friends over and definitely drank our fill and snacked all night. Saturday we had a family birthday party for our daughter and again drank beer and ate burgers. Then Sunday had friends over and had beer and pizza which I just remembered I forgot to log the pizza. All in all I'd say 10 pounds is pretty good considering this weekend.

Next, I got the body composition test done. I am glad I did and I will post a picture of it below. What it told me is that my body fat % is 29.7. I'm still fat but thankfully not as fat as I thought. The guy said that my lean muscle mass is great and is around the levels he typically sees when he tests hockey players. My favourite part was when he told me that he can tell I don't skip leg day in the gym and I told him I can't remember the last time I worked out legs in the gym :smile: the other main thing I wanted was my basal metabolic rate which is the amount of calories my body burns in a day without exercise and it was 1984 calories. This reassures me that when I got over my MFP recommended I'm still in good shape. I mentioned how many calories I have been eating and he says to up it because I am burning off muscle with the fat. He recommended I lose 30 pounds of fat and increase my muscle mass by 10 pounds or so. 30 pounds is my next goal so that's right in line.

My pictures are so so. I feel a bit thinner around my stomach and back and hope to see big losses there in the future. I still haven't received T25 in the mail yet but hopefully I will tomorrow.

And finally the best news of all. I got my mom to download MFP today. She's 60 and has 20 or so extra pounds to lose. She's coming over tomorrow to walk on the treadmill while I ride my bike. It's awesome because I haven't seen my mom exercise ever!

I took measurements too
    Neck - 17.5"
    Chest - 46"
    Left bicep - 15"
    Right bicep - 15.5"
    Stomach - 41"
    Waist - 39"
    Left thigh - 26"
    Right thigh - 26.5"
    Left and right calve - 17"

And that's it for this update!
    vo193ek52vf3.jpeg
    s3j3j8okid4j.jpeg
    k9hz9wixvb71.jpeg
    f13tehlulgwe.jpeg
    9lsrhvfq2t0o.jpeg
  • Shrinking_Erin
    Shrinking_Erin Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Hey... Just had time to read your update. Pretty cool. Valentines weekend wasn't so hot for my husband and I either. He baked a cake.. and we planned our one takeway for this month.. I haven't gained.. but I seem to be stuck at the same weight for over a week now. Sucks.. and I haven't lost weight with any real fitness .. just controlling my food, so Ive ordered a fitbit tracker.. and I'm going to jump on that wagon and see how it helps me along.

Keep up the good work!
  • kettiecat
    kettiecat Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I see a difference! Having a good amount of starting muscle muscle mass will save you so much time when it comes to achieving your ideal "look".
  • totaldetermination
    totaldetermination Posts: 1,184 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I love that you've got your mum on board ! Its great that you're having such a positive influence and that she'll start to see benefits, too.

Thanks for posting the body composition results. Did you have to go in a pool of water for them to measure it ?
    The results are really interesting, and they explain it very clearly. I didn't know that there was an optimum amount of LBM. I thought I just had to keep my fat % down.
    With so much muscle and such a high BMR, its like you've won half the battle before you even start :smile:.
  • 50extra
    Options
    Yeah I was pumped when she showed up today and I got her set up on the treadmill. She had never been on one in her life. She started off saying that 2.2 on 0 grade was fast and by the end of the 30 minutes she was going 3.2 on 0.5 grade. Hopefully she wants to consider.

As for the LBM I do have quite a bit of muscle and always have been strong but it's the 70 pounds of fat that's on top of it that I have to lose.

I'm going to hold off on buying the tv until I know I can stick with the program. Until them I will use a 27" monitor hooked up to my laptop.
  • smiphette
    smiphette Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Nice progress! I love that your mom is in. I am still prodding my dad, but so far no success.
  • LottieStanley
    Options
    Wow read your results looks very thorough. I think it's great you can work out and spend time with your mom. Keep up the good work.
  • PrimalJillian
    PrimalJillian Posts: 1,129 Member
    Options
    50extra wrote: »
    As for the LBM I do have quite a bit of muscle and always have been strong but it's the 70 pounds of fat that's on top of it that I have to lose.

I totally relate to this! It's not that I'm lacking muscle mass or strength, it's the fat covering it.

That's awesome about your mom. Has she ever been a fitness walker? 3.2 on a treadmill is pretty good for a beginner.
  • 50extra
    Options
    No she's not. I'm 32 and I can't remember a single time where she did anything active. I think when I was a baby both mom and dad played softball but that's 25 plus years ago. I'm super proud of her, I hope we can continue it.
  • Kell2912
    Kell2912 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    Way to go mum. Awesome work. Hopefully the start of new habits for her.
    I'm having a body composition done next week. i can't wait. I love numbers and figures the more the better. It will be good to see exactly what is hiding under all of this fat.
  • 50extra
    Options
    I haven't updated on here for a while so noes a good time because I am procrastinating working out. I weighed in yesterday and took some measurements last night but never got a chance for photos. 1.8 pounds lost or something, I weighed in at 230.8 I believe. Now losing any weight is a good thing....

I read what I just typed and realized how stupid I was being. I am now writing this while on my stationary bike. :smile:

Ok, so while losing any weight is a good thing, I am mad at myself for gaining so much over the weekend. On Thursday morning I weighed 228.0 so I put on 3 pounds due too eating like a hog and drinking beer. I don't make excuses for it and I know why it happened but I'm still pissed off with myself. My measurements are very similar .5 here 1 there, but that could be an error in self measuring. I'll post them up next Monday in a little chart.

Hmmm what else....

I started doing C25K yesterday which I'm happy about. I looked ahead and the first few lessons are real easy for me so I change it up a bit. I will only being doing the C25K workout after a good bike workout. The purpose of this is to start training my body for a triathlon, the bike to run transition is killer on me so I will train it. I am only running on a treadmill for it and the treadmill will stay at a 2 degree incline until I can increase it. Right now with the intervals being easy I am increasing my run speed each time and my walk is 3.5mph. I used to be able to run on the treadmill decently and hopefully will again.

My T25 program still has not arrived. Apparently it's delayed two weeks because of the snowstorms down in the states. Sounds like *kitten* to me but there's nothing I can do about it. I was so excited to start it when I got home, it's a real buzz kill to wait and I am losing enthusiasm.

Some other random thoughts, my wife decided to go for a run outside the other day and busted out 5km no big deal after not running for a long time. I was jealous and it's the reason I started the running app. I'm proud of her too. She also came down two nights ago and did a 3 mile treadmill run while I biked. It was nice to have her down here to workout. I'm pretty much exactly 100 pounds heavier than her so I gotta work on that.

My grandmas been in the hospital for a while and my mom has been out of town helping her out. Gma's home and so is mom, I called her tonight to ask her to come for a walk tomorrow and got a solid maybe. She stopped tracking her calories already so I hope to encourage her to start up again.

Well I'm starting to sweat onto my iPad, only have 62 minutes left!

That's all for now
  • LottieStanley
    Options
    Great catching up with you. Glad your Gram is ok. Sounds like you are planning a lot of exercise. A triathlon sounds big to me. I think it's great your getting your family into fitness too. Don't be so hard on yourself with the food, I can say that to you, but I beat myself up too when I don't eat right.