50extra - My weight loss journey with all the embarrassing details

Options

Replies

• 50extra
    50extra Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    It literally had like 200 lunges per leg plus 100 squats, plus 400 high knees, plus everything else to turn someone who's out of shape like me into a crippled mess.
  • PrimalJillian
    PrimalJillian Posts: 1,129 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I giggled a little bit about your descriptions of the program. It reminded me of a Seattle man who was selling a once used yoga mat. He went into great (hilarious) detail about how awful that one use was. Here's part of it, in case you haven't read it. I'll post the link for the full write up after it. This is just too good not to share....

12:02p
    Since I do have experience with Hot Yoga (4 sessions just 5 short years ago) I fully consider that I may be so outstanding and skilled that my instructor may call me out and ask me to guide the class. My wife will look on with a sparkle in her eye. We will make love after class.

12:10p
    It is now up to 95 degrees in the room. We have been practicing deep breathing exercises for the last 8 minutes. This would not be a problem if we were all breathing actual, you know, oxygen. Instead, we are breathing each other's body odor, expelled carbon dioxide and other unmentionables. (Don't worry, I'll mention them later.)

12:26p
    It is now 100 degrees and I take notice of the humidity, which is hovering at about 90%. I feel the familiar adorning stare of my bride and decide to look back at her. She appears to be nauseated. I then realize that I forgot to brush my teeth prior to attending this class. We bond.

12:33p
    It is now 110 degrees and 95% humidity. I am now balancing on one leg with the other leg crossed over the other. My arms are intertwined and I am squatting. The last time I was in this position was 44 years ago in the womb, but I'm in this for the long haul. My wife looks slightly weathered dripping sweat and her eyeliner is streaming down her face. Well, "for better or worse" is what we committed to so we press on.

https://www.craigslist.org/about/best/sea/2597736393.html
  • 50extra
    Options
    Haha yeah I e read that before it's hilarious. The first two days of T25 were enough that I had to take the third day off. I'm a little disappointed that I couldn't even stick to the modified program yet but I feel way better today and the scale gave me a little reward this Mir I got which is awesome. I will continue he along with the program tonight.
  • 50extra
    Options
    Well I am feeling a little sheepish today because I sabbataged my weight loss journey again and did so knowingly. Last night I had beers while the Mrs. And I hashed out the details of our personal finances and our monthly budgets. After we came to a spot that we could work it hand that was fair too both of us, as well as smart for our retirement plans, I celebrated with a couple more beers. By that point any thoughts of eating responsibly was out the window. So yesterday I didn't work out plus I ate like crap. Oh yeah, the slice of ice cream cake didn't help either.

So now for today... I am a huge advocate of not passing up events just in efforts of eating healthy. Tonight we are going out for dinner to celebrate my wife's birthday. The food at the restaurant is fantastic and very very high calorie. I'm eating everything we order because it's too good to pass up and going to this place is like a once in a year type deal.

Unfortunately I already know my Monday weigh in wont be good. I would like to hope that I will see a loss of some kind but for right now I am just hoping to break even after a week of overages a minimal working out.

Please don't think that I'm making excuses for not losing weight. These are the reasons that I'm not going to lose much this week. I did this to myself, I knew what needed to be done and didn't do it. Moving forward I will try to have less days where I go over, and more days of a deficit.
  • LottieStanley
    LottieStanley Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    It's ok at least you're going to get back on track. As this is a life change we will have times that we let loose. It's not a diet it's a life change.
  • smiphette
    smiphette Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Wow, nice.
  • 50extra
    Options
    Ok as mentioned my weigh in was this morning. I actually had gained weight but I went to the washroom and ended up exactly where I was a week ago at 226.2lbs. It's disappointing because Thursday I was 224.4 and then wrecked it Friday and Saturday.

But that being said, mommas at work, baby's taking a nap so I'm hitting the treadmill for an hour. Today is the first day of week 4 of C25K and by the look of the program for today, it's the point where it gets real. No more short bursts of running, instead it's 5 minute runs I believe with shorter breaks. I'm hoping to be able to do this day at 2 incline and 5.6mph on my treadmill but will modify if need be.

Off to the treadmill! Gotta start now in order to have losses for next week.
  • 50extra
    Options
    Well I was able to complete it as instructed at both a 2 incline and 5.6 run. I added an extra minute to the third running interval and then barely made it through the last five minute set. It's really frustrating to think it wasn't that long ago that I could pound out 45 minutes on the treadmill at speeds up to 8mph.

All in all I'm happy with my workout today.

I guess I should say something about Focus T25. The program's brutal. Even doing good form on the modified exercises is hard on the system. Because it's so hard on the muscles and joints I am only doing a workout here and there. My plan is to start alpha again when I get back to Russia after I have given my body a taste of what it's like to do each of the programs. I am seriously talking about 4 day recovery because the muscles and joints get so sore. I know I'm super out of shape but that programs crazy.
  • PrimalJillian
    PrimalJillian Posts: 1,129 Member
    Options
    It sounds crazy! Is the 4 day recovery time plan just for in between doing that program, or 4 days of rest completely?

I can empathize with the frustration around not being able to do what you could do not so very long ago. Not a fun mental or physical space to be in. :confounded:
  • 50extra
    Options
    No I mean the 4 days is how long it is until I can use the muscles again. I was a hockey player my whole childhood and the first few years of adult hood and never felt like that. It's so hard to he ankles, thighs, quads ands butt muscles. Without sounding cocky, I'm fat but I can still compete athletically with people much smaller than me even though I b*tch and complain about being out of shape and T25 is brutal. My wife who is fairly fit is even complaining, she already hurt her Achilles' tendon doing the program. There should be a disclaimer that you must be reasonably in shape to start it. An honest guess, if I follow the modified workout with proper form and technique I can probably do 60% of the "total body circuit" ( I fail on the push-ups, there are about 100 in it) and about 80% of the cardio one, the hundreds of lunges is too much for my knees and legs and the "speed 1.0" I probably did 40% modified and 40% regular resting 20% of the time. I thought I broke my foot last time doing it because it snapped and hurt for three days.

I would highly recommend doing the program to anyone but unless your a fitness champ be prepared to fail at it over and over for a while. The Regular exercises are brutal, there are a crazy amount of jumps that just annihilate your knees and ankles. By the time someone can do the unmodified version for 25 minutes straight they will be in top athletic shape. It's scary to think that this programs a good precursor for Insanity.

That being said, I head back to Russia day after tomorrow and I am going to take an honest shot at it each day. I just hope I don't hurt myself in the process.
  • 50extra
    Options
    I just had a very nice hour and a half workout. Crushed week three day three of C25K at a 2 incline and running at 5.6. Even added a couple minutes overall running. Then did a 30 minute inclined walk at 3.8mph and finished off with Focus T25 with the wife. I am going to be a hurting unit tomorrow.
  • Kell2912
    Kell2912 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    Wow that T25 program sounds massive. Good on you for giving it a red hot go. You inspire me to do more and push my own boundaries. Take care of your body on your rest days and maybe get the ice happening on those knee joints in particular to hose down any inflammation. You are going to be a machine before long
  • 50extra
    Options
    Thanks Khatmott, this process is taking much longer than I originally hoped for but as long as I take it day by day I will get there.
  • Kell2912
    Options
    THis is a marathon mate not a sprint. Slower you go the more sustainable it will be
  • 50extra
    Options
    Ok
  • 50extra
    Options
    Don't know why it posted...

Ok so I am leaving for russia in an hour from now and I have decided to leave my tape measure and my scale at home. I know it bugged me last trip in not having either of those two things, but I'm hoping that it will allow me to focus on eating healthy and working out rather than seeing weight loss. I want to try and focus on how I am feeling rather than what those two measurements say. I do love weighing in each morning but this is an experiment. Worst case I'll find a scale in Russia.

I did step on the scale this morning and seen a new low. This is after I scarfed down a 1300 calorie meal at McDonalds last night. I was actually into the 223s.

In fact I'm going to go weigh in right now so that I have a baseline for this trip.

224.8 lbs, and that's after eating lunch. I will log it as soon as I'm done typing this message.

I'm hoping that this trip is only three weeks but as of now I'm scheduled to fly home on the night of April 6th. My goal is 4.9 pounds lost. 219.9 would feel real good to see when I get back!

I will still be active on here, probably more so as I don't have as many things going on over there.

Thanks to everyone for reading this page and thanks for the motivation.

Oh one more thing, I don't know if I posted it on here or not but I actually have a NSV I am working towards. I have a pair of work pants over in Siberia that I couldn't button up at the start of January. By the end of my shift in February I could squeeze real hard and get the button done up but my goal is to be able to wear them comfortably. They have zero stretch to the waistline. I think it's a long shot for this trip but here's to hoping! If not, next shift for sure.

On another note, I have started pulling old t-shirts out of my closet for workout shirts. They are still too tight to wear every day but each workout I am getting closer to being able to wear the 80% of clothing that I own and can't wear. I gave a ton of my stuff away three or four years ago but did keep a bunch. I'm working towards paying down a bunch of bills so it would be nice not to have to buy anymore fat clothes and get back into my thinner stuff.
  • 50extra
    Options
    Oh yeah and one more thing to add to this novel. I was really looking forward to continuing C25K but it's still -20 where I'm heading and I'm not about to freeze myself. It's disappointing but it's life for one more shift. I will however work on T25 and hopefully be able to get to the pool a few times.
  • Kell2912
    Options
    Good luck in Russia mate. I love that you have set yourself some non scale goals. I think we all need to make a few more of them. look forward to your updates. oh and from a country that is having temps anywhere from 100-110F every day for the last month, -20 sounds lush
  • 50extra
    Options
    In the middle of winter those 40 degree temps sounds real nice. I have friends down there, one in Port Lincoln and another in Adelaide.
  • 50extra
    Options
    Ok so my plans have changed a bit here. I was supposed to be in Moscow only for a couple of days, have some meetings and then head to Siberia for the rest of my shift. Well I'm here for an extra few days now which is hell on the diet. There's no way to meal plan and most lunches are drinking lunches with the bigwigs of my company. I will get through the rest of the week and have to be even more diligent on weight loss for the remainder of my shift. It's a weight loss setback but I'll get through.