Macros: Is the percentage what I should be looking at or the actual number of grams?

Options
FatPixiee
FatPixiee Posts: 59 Member
I am pretty new to LCHF diet, about 3 weeks so far and I slipped up during the Superbowl so I had to start over. I am confused on something and that is, MFP will tell me and the books will tell me that I should be at a certain number of carbs and fat and protein per day. I used the keto calculators too and get similar results. I also read that to stay in ketosis and lose the fat one must stay at a certain percentage. So does that mean that if I eat lower of one thing I have to adjust the other macros to fit? Or else, if I eat more protein for example, am I supposed to try and also eat more fat, and even more carbs? Also if I work out and lift weights, is more protein ok then? I know with calories it's so simple. If I work out hard then I have a few more. But I have no idea what to do with macros.

Replies

• annalisbeth74
    annalisbeth74 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I generally watch the grams more than anything. I make sure my protein is above the minimum that the keto calculator gave me. When I do strength training (usually a few weeks on and a few weeks off) I'll make sure I'm on the higher side of that range. I've only been watching that hard core for the last few months, though. In the beginning I only worried about the carbs. I try to keep the carbs under 20 but sometimes creep closer to 30, and the fat I generally don't worry about at all. My percentages may vary slightly from day to day, but as long as the carbs stay lower I lose pretty consistently.

Now, I have lost 50 lbs and according to my body fat scale (as much as those can be trusted) about 7 lbs of that has been lean body mass. I might have done better my getting more protein in the early days, but i never was that big of a meat eater before so that. And you know? This diet is enough of an adjustment as it is to start worrying about everything at once. Maybe start with watching your carb grams and go from there once you get used to that.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,958 Member
    Options
    Grams.
    • Stay under carb grams.
    • Hit your protein range.
    • Fill the rest of your intake with fat.
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    baconslave wrote: »
    Grams.
    • Stay under carb grams.

This.

Plus you don't have to hit the fat number it gives you, only eat till satiety, you don't have to force yourself to eat more if you aren't hungry.

For keto/lc go by the grams for carbs not the percentage, the system will give you more if you exercise more but by percent it can end up being a lot of carbs so stick to grams on that.
  • nicintime
    nicintime Posts: 381 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    baconslave wrote: »
    Grams.
    • Stay under carb grams.

This.

Percentages only don't give you a clear picture of your intake. And they thus can lie.
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    I do what @baconslave says, too, for the most part.
    Sometimes when I'm eating exercise calories I'll end up with a few more carbs but I still try to stick to 30-35 net at the most.
  • FatPixiee
    FatPixiee Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Ok. I will watch the carb grams and the protein and let the fat be what it will.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    You want to get enough protein. Then stay under or close to your carb grams. The rest is fat. But you don't have to hit that number.