Options
Hi ladies - I'm new here. I'm 52, menopausal for 3 years, and trying to lose weight. I can't count the number of times I've gained and lost the same weight - sometimes as much as 60lbs. This time I'm trying to focus on nutrition as well as counting calories and carbs. Boy - really finding my metabolism has slowed down to a snails' pace since menopause. Anyone have any tips for kick-starting the metabolism?

Replies

• Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    Don't give up no matter how slow the weight comes off. Be patient. Find what works for you and do it. For me it was all about calorie intake. I didn't realize how much I was eating until I started tracking it.
  • thechampion525
    thechampion525 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I agree with Just_Ceci. Try to be active very day (some days more, some less) but focus on your caloric intake. I already exercise a fair amount, so for me adjusting the calories and watching excessive carbs is key. Having said that, it IS slow to come off. Keep going!
  • aamundsoncpa
    aamundsoncpa Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I'm perimenopausal and have struggled with my weight for about 4 years. Tried many things - including Weight Watchers (which worked for me in the past), 3 day cleanses and tracking my food intake on MFP.

What finally worked for me - avoiding excess sugar, alcohol, caffeine and processed foods. I cut cold turkey - and it wasn't easy at first. I've lost about 27 pounds since Labor Day and finally hit my goal weight this past week. I also added more exercise including some strength training. Since the holidays, I've been a little less rigid and need to get back on track. I don't know if it kick started my metabolism, but the weight came off all the same.

Good luck and don't give up - you will find the secret to your own WL!
  • weightaminutenow
    weightaminutenow Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Thank you all ladies - just knowing there are others struggling with the same issues is enormously helpful. I'm starting into my 5th week of MFP and logging ALL food and exercise - it is eye opening that's for sure. I walk the treadmill daily at between 2.7 and 3.0 mph and do 2.5 miles daily (I take Sundays off). Also doing butt and thigh exercises and very light free weights (upper body) but struggling with the starts of frozen shoulder (have had it before). I refuse to weigh myself (too depressing). I have a pretty good idea of what the number is based on previous experience lol. I do feel like I've lost tummy bloat but really struggling with butt and thigh cellulite :(. Pre menopause weight used to come off a lot easier - sigh. The joys of aging! I feel I've been doing really well with food choices but struggle to get to the 1200 a day, especially when I've burned over 300 calories exercising, and following a low carb diet. Most days I manage to feel positive about the changes I've made, just having a "fat" day today - you ladies will know what I mean, I'm sure. I feel like I've had a double whammy - I quit smoking in Sept. of 2014 cold turkey (after smoking for 35 years!), and that was a year after menopause. Between the two things I really gained weight. I'll keep on keeping on lol.
  • weightaminutenow
    Options
    So - broke down and stepped on the scale (I knew I shouldn't have). Had a terrible shock when I was actually 35 lbs! more than I thought I was. After choking up, and asking hubby to step on scale to make sure it was "right", (yes dammit it was) I teared up, but instead of eating I got on the treadmill and did an extra half mile today. Now I figure I have 100 lbs to lose. Really depressed today. Has anyone lost a hundred pounds before? The most I've ever lost is 60 lbs. I feel like I'm being "punished" for quitting smoking, being menopausal, and yes - some very poor eating habits.
  • rachmass1
    rachmass1 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    It is horribly frustrating! Don't eat too little though. Fat2Fit Radio has good information on what you should be eating in terms of calorie count just to function.

I think we just have to keep plugging away. I have been watching what I eat for about five months now (after being off MFP for over a year and gaining everything back) and have managed to lose 13 pounds since starting to watch what I eat. I work out every day, between 30-45 minutes on the elliptical and lift weights, plus I walk 4-6 miles most days. Even with being active, and eating lighter, it is slow going. When I was younger, the way I am eating and exercising now would have resulted in at least 30 pounds, so it does come off in a much more measured pace, but it does come off. Just. Not. Fast. Enough!

Keep at it, and keep posting, I found this did help a lot coming here.
  • weightaminutenow
    Options
    Thank you rachmass1 - you are so right - one day at a time. I'm trying to use the mind set that the time is going to pass anyway and I don't want to be sitting here a year from now thinking I wished I would have started a year ago. That seems to help a bit. Good for you for doing all that exercise! That shows a lot of commitment!
  • weightaminutenow
    Options
    Just discovered www.modelmydiet.com Pretty eye opening! You type in your height, weight, body shape, and can even choose hair style/colour, skin tone, clothing etc. Then you type in your goal weight and it shows you what you will look like. Going to play to with different weights to see what I might look like at different points along the way!
  • shirinian1
    shirinian1 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Last year I lost 10 pounds... yes only 10! I exercise most days for an hour, document everything I eat. I am perimenopausal at 51 years young. 185 pounds at 5'8. I need to lose another 15 to be near a healthy range. I am eating around 1200 to 1400 calories a day. I hope this year I can lose another 10 at least... SO SLOW!!! Any advice would be helpful!!!
  • bonnie_nickell
    bonnie_nickell Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Almost 56 here and not sure if I am post menopause yet or not.( I had a partial hysterectomy several years ago) I still have hot flashes although they have decreased. My first 3 weeks I lost 9.8 pounds. Only 49 pounds to go! lol