is my meter and /or my strips bad?

Options
motown13
motown13 Posts: 688 Member
edited February 2016 in Social Groups
I have been taking my readings pretty regularly this year ( not so much in the past )..... My readings haven been around 185 this week, which seems high. I started a really low carb program about a month ago. ( I know it takes time ) But at the end of 2015, I was also around 185.

So here is why I ask: My strips have stopped absorbing the blood. My meter can't always get a reading.... But twice this week it did work.... but my readings were 225ish.

I've dropped about 20 pounds this year, so far. But what really makes me wonder, is that I "know" my levels must be going down. I no longer have an almost insatiable thirst. My night sweats are gone. And I have gone from peeing 15 - 20x a day, down to about 5 or 6x a day. And, I can generally sleep though the night now.

I also have another issue, which is it is very hard for me to draw blood with the lancet even at its deepest setting. I apparently have very thick skin.

Replies

• wdnisbet
    wdnisbet Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Have you had an A1C test? If the results are in line with your fingerstick results then the meter is probably working fine. You have made some positive changes, so hang in there. And remember blood sugars respond to so many factors in addition to diet, like hormones, exercise and sleep quality. If you continue to get surprising readings you might bring it up with your doc.
  • motown13
    Options
    A1c scheduled week 2 of March
  • midge_m
    midge_m Posts: 1,085 Member
    Options
    Have you tried testing your meter and strips with a control solution?
  • KenSmith108
    KenSmith108 Posts: 1,966 Member
    Options
    My strips are only good for 1 month after I open the container.
  • motown13
    Options
    midge_m wrote: »
    Have you tried testing your meter and strips with a control solution?

Dont even knowcwhat that is.
  • midge_m
    midge_m Posts: 1,085 Member
    Options
    You can get it at the drug store. It's a little bottle of solution with the number the read should be, say 120. If your meter/strips read that then it is working fine, if not then you have (probably ) bad strips. Last time i got some it was about $8.
  • motown13
    Options
    Thank you.
  • ConleighS
    ConleighS Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    I am going to get some and test my meter....
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    motown13 wrote: »
    A1c scheduled week 2 of March

How'd your test come out?