Recipes

Options
2»

Replies

• Carla_wfpb
    Carla_wfpb Posts: 1,336 Member
    Options
    This one is from my friend, Atari. I really like the way it turned out! After making it once, we doubled it.
    My variations are in brackets.

Atari's Chili
    Serves approx. 5 to 6

Ingredients:

3/4 C dry kidney beans
    3/4 C dry pinto beans
    3/4 C dry garbanzo beans
    3/4 C dry black beans
    You can substitute 2 cans of each kind of beans if you don't want to start dry. Drain and rinse.

1 Large Onion, diced
    2 Green peppers, diced
    1 Tbsp oil (recipe call for 4, I used refined coconut oil)
    1 large can of crushed tomatoes (did it with 2 regular cans diced tomatoes in green chilies and liked it better)

2 Tbsp chili powder (Penzy's has a nice one, any good quality one you like should work)
    1 Tbsp ground cumin
    1 Tsp powdered garlic
    salt to taste
    1 chipotle chili with adobo sauce (opt., my addition for a bit of zip)

If starting with dry beans, soak in water overnight and drain. If starting with canned, rinse and drain the beans well. (If using a pressure cooker, soak dry beans overnight and cook according to your pressure cooker guidelines, then only added the beans for the last 30 minutes, see last paragraph) Place beans in a large pot with a lid and bring to a simmer. We want the beans to soften a little before we add the salt and tomatoes, otherwise they will never get soft.

In another pot, fry the onions in the oil at medium heat until they're starting to turn brown ( <- important to brown) Do not burn them! Add the diced green peppers and cook until they're soft. Reduce the heat a little and then add the spices. This is why it's important to use oil. You want to dry the chili and cumin so that they start to turn fragrant. This takes about 30-60 seconds or so. The cumin should start to smell like toasted nuts. Add just a little water, enough to halt the frying and simmer the mixture. Let simmer for about a minute, then add the tomato sauce or diced tomatoes. Reduce the heat to a low simmer and allow to cook for about 2 hours.

Keep an eye on the tomato mix, stirring occasionally. If starting with dry beans, they will need to cook for about 2 hours on a medium simmer. Canned beans only need about an hour. The tomato mix needs to cook for about 2 hours to cook off the "green" taste of the peppers and allow the onion to impart a sweet taste. After 2 hours, combine the beans and sauce and let simmer for another 30 minutes. Taste and add salt if necessary, then let simmer for another 30 minutes. (after about 2 to 2.5 hours, I added the beans then let simmer for 30 minutes since my beans were pressure cooked.)
  • Carla_wfpb
    Options
    Roasted Garlic Shortcut - Pressure cooker then quick broil

These directions worked for my Instant Pot. Other cookers may vary a little in how much water and how long. I did 4 heads of garlic at once.

Ingredients
    heads of garlic
    small amount of oil

Place one cup of water in pressure cooker and put steamer basket inside. Cut off the tips of the cloves, still attached to the head of garlic (maybe the top 1/4 or less) Save tips for recipes where you want fresh garlic. Place heads of garlic in steamer basket and cook on high pressure for 6 to 8 minutes. (8 was right for mine). After 8 minutes I used the fast release method.

Turn oven to broil. Remove garlic heads from cooker carefully and transfer to a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Brush exposed garlic tops with oil. I used a pastry brush and didn't need much at all. Broil for 5 minutes, keeping an eye on them just in case.

Store in the fridge and use throughout week when a recipe calls for garlic. Nice mild flavor in dressings. Garlic squishes out of casing easily.

Possibly everyone already knows how to do this, but I didn't so I thought I'd post it!

Here's how mine turned out:
    dc478b75itj2.jpg
  • tdh1991
    tdh1991 Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    Crispy Mushroom Fries
    www.drfuhrman.com

Serves: 2

Ingredients:
    1/2 cup raw almonds, toasted
    1 tablespoon corn meal
    1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
    2 teaspoons chia seeds
    1/4 teaspoon onion powder
    1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
    1/8 teaspoon black pepper
    2 large portobello mushrooms, gills removed and sliced 1/4 inch thick
    1/2 cup chickpea flour
    1 cup no-salt-added or low sodium vegetable broth
    Instructions:
    Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.

Place almonds in a food processor and pulse until chopped to the consistency of coarse bread crumbs. Remove from food processor and in a shallow bowl, combine with corn meal, nutritional yeast, chia seeds, onion powder, garlic powder and pepper.

Dredge portobello slices in chickpea flour, dip them in the vegetable broth and then into the almond mixture.

Place on a lightly greased baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes, turn and bake an additional 5-10 minutes, until golden brown.

Note: If desired, serve with no-salt-added or low sodium marinara sauce for dipping.

Per Serving:
    CALORIES 287; PROTEIN 15g; CARBOHYDRATES 27g; TOTAL FAT 14.6g; SATURATED FAT 1.2g; SODIUM 28mg; FIBER 8.7g; BETA-CAROTENE 10ug; CALCIUM 104mg; IRON 2.8mg; FOLATE 137ug; MAGNESIUM 122mg; ZINC 2.8mg; SELENIUM 20.7ug
  • tdh1991
    Options
    Mediterranean Burgers

Ingredients:

1 large sweet potato, baked whole (approximately 1 cup once cooked)
    1/2 cup chickpeas, cooked and coarsely mashed
    1/4 cup kalamata olives, sliced
    1/4 cup roasted red bell peppers, diced
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    3 tbsp red onion, finely minced
    3 tbsp fresh parsley, finely chopped
    1/4 cup dry rolled oats, ground into meal
    1 tbsp onion powder
    1/2 tsp cumin powder
    1/8 tsp cayenne, or to taste
    1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
    3/4 tsp salt (optional)
    Suggested toppings: pickles, hummus, pickled onions, and/or sweet chili sauce.

Directions:

First, gather and prepare all your ingredients and lay them out neatly.
    Once your sweet potatoes are baked whole and cooled, peel the skin off and set aside.
    (Note: Be sure you do not steam or boil the sweet potatoes since they will retain too much water, making the burger batter quite wet.)
    To prepare the burger mixture: In a mixing bowl, toss together all ingredients except the oats, pressing the potato until the mixture begins to bind. If the mixture is a bit too moist, add some of the rolled oats — they will help to absorb a bit of the excess moisture. You will likely need all of the oats, but not necessarily, so just add them a bit at a time until the burger holds together slightly when gently squeezed in your hand.
    To bake the burgers, place them into a pre-heated 400°F (205°C) oven.
    Form the mixture into burger size patties or into small sliders, and place on a nonstick baking sheet.
    Bake for 20 minutes, flip, and continue baking for an additional 5 to 8 minutes, or until both sides are golden.
    Serve on whole-wheat buns (or slider buns), in pitas or wraps, or bun-less.

Prep time: 20 minutes

Cook time: 30 minutes

Total time: 50 minutes

Servings: 4 burgers or 8 sliders

Nutrition per serving:
    Calories120
    Fat1.5g
    Saturated Fat0g
    Cholesterol0mg
    Sodium720mg
    Carbohydrates21g
    Fiber3g
    Sugars2g
    Protein 4g

Yields and nutritional information are estimated and will vary depending on produce size and equipment used.
  • tdh1991
    Options

Average Rating: ★★★★4.36 stars☆
    Rated By: 14 members
    Rate It: ☆☆☆☆☆
    (click a star to rate this recipe)
    Chocolaty Brownies
    Victoria Johnston

Serves: 9

Ingredients:
    For the Brownies:
    1/2 cup natural cocoa powder
    1/2 cup almond or chestnut flour
    1 3/4 cups mashed cooked sweet potato
    1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
    1 teaspoon alcohol-free vanilla flavor
    1/2 teaspoon baking soda
    1/2 teaspoon baking powder
    2/3 cup roughly chopped walnuts
    1 tablespoon ground flax, hemp or chia seeds
    3 tablespoons soy, hemp or almond milk
    For the Frosting:
    6 regular or 3 Medjool dates, pitted
    2 tablespoons tahini
    2 tablespoons natural cocoa powder
    4-5 tablespoons water to thin icing
    Instructions:
    For the Brownie:
    Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Mix the cocoa powder and flour together and then mix into the mashed sweet potato. Stir in cinnamon, vanilla, baking soda, baking powder, walnuts, seeds and non-dairy milk. Press dough into a lightly-oiled
    9" x 9" baking dish and bake for 30 minutes. The brownies will firm up after they have cooled.

For the Frosting:
    Using a food processor, process dates until they form a paste, then add remaining ingredients. Spread on brownies after they have cooled.
    Cut into squares.

Makes 9 brownies.

Per Serving:
    CALORIES 199; PROTEIN 6g; CARBOHYDRATES 25g; TOTAL FAT 11.2g; SATURATED FAT 1.5g; SODIUM 95mg; FIBER 6g; BETA-CAROTENE 6032ug; VITAMIN C 8mg; CALCIUM 84mg; IRON 2mg; FOLATE 23ug; MAGNESIUM 81mg; ZINC 1.2mg; SELENIUM 2ug
  • OneTwentyThree
    OneTwentyThree Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Mihana previously recommended oh she glows- red lentil soup, really good. Thanks for introducing me to OSG, I ended up buying her book and she has this other soup which is soo good. It doesn't look pretty but the taste is yummy.
    I found it on a different website http://thehappyfoodie.co.uk/recipes/indian-lentil-cauliflower-soup
  • Carla_wfpb
    Options
    Ginger Miso Stir Fry
    Serves 2
    http://kblog.lunchboxbunch.com/2015/12/ginger-miso-stir-fry-vegan-fast-food.html

Comes together fast and tastes good! I made the brown rice ahead of time.

Ingredients
    1-2 cups broccoli florets
    8 oz firm tofu (I used a whole package instead)
    1 tangerine, peeled and sliced (pits out)
    1 cup brown rice, cooked
    1 tsp oil or water
    1 Tbsp tamari, low sodium optional
    1 Tbsp miso paste
    1/2 tsp grated ginger
    1 Tbsp maple syrup

Heat skillet, add water or oil, then add broccoli. Saute 2 or so minutes. Add all other ingredients except for the rice. Mix together. Let tofu brown. Add rice and combine. Once rice is hot, you're done.

The only change I might make in the future if I think of it, is to marinate the tofu in a bit of tamari, ginger and miso first. Then brown the tofu in a separate pan and add it at the end. No big deal either way but my tofu didn't brown as much as I wanted when mixed with everything.
  • Carla_wfpb
    Options
    Tahini Caramelized Onions

I use 3 lbs of caramelized onions, then double the sauce. 1/3 of a cup heated on a salad is yum! Good with simple lentils and rice too. Almost anything.

For caramelized onions, I slice the onions thinly in half rings (use food processor if you have one!), then split the onions into 2 large pans and use 1 tsp of coconut oil per pan to caramelize. A bit labor intensive as you turn the heat up quite high and stir frequently for 30 to 45 minutes until they are nicely caramelized but not burnt.

I don't love having to stand at the stove for that long, so I looked up a recipe for slow cooker onions. It uses 3 Tbsp of oil but I would try with less. Haven't tried it yet, so if you do, let me know how it turns out! :)
    http://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-caramelize-onions-in-the-slow-cooker-cooking-lessons-from-the-kitchn-193413

Tahini Caramelized Onion Sauce
    3 lbs onions with double recipe of sauce makes about 4 cups of onions

Ingredients for Single Recipe
    2 tbsp tahini
    2 tbsp lemon juice
    1 tbsp water
    2 tsp olive oil I omitted this from sauce and turned out great
    2 cups caramelized onions

Instructions
    In a small bowl, whisk together tahini, lemon juice and water until mixture thickens.
    Whisk in additional water a tablespoon at a time until mixture reaches desired consistency.
    Stir in caramelized onions to taste.

original post http://hellyeahitsvegan.com/tahini-caramelized-onion-sauce/
  • Carla_wfpb
    Options
    Baked Falafel
    http://pinchofyum.com/simple-6-ingredient-baked-falafel

serves: 9-12 falafel patties

INGREDIENTS
    2 cups cooked lentils
    1 huge handful (a cup or so) fresh cilantro leaves and stems
    1 huge handful (a cup or so) fresh parsley leaves and stems
    half a jalapeño (if you like spicy - leave ribs and seeds!)
    1½ tablespoons olive oil - i omitted, no problems
    1-2 cloves garlic
    a squeeze of lemon juice
    1 teaspoon salt
    1-2 tablespoons all purpose flour (I used garbanzo bean/chick pea flour)

INSTRUCTIONS
    Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Pulse all ingredients except flour in a food processor until combined. The mixture should form semi-dry crumbles that stick together when you press them.
    Stir in the flour - just one tablespoon at a time, until it's just dry enough to handle. Form into 9 patties and bake for 18 minutes. Remove from oven and use in salads, sandwiches, bowls, etc. Refrigerate for a few days or freeze.

I served mine in Winter Bliss Bowls
    http://pinchofyum.com/the-ultimate-winter-bliss-bowls

serves: 4 bliss bowls

INGREDIENTS

For the Roasted Veggies
    5-7 carrots
    1 head cauliflower
    2 tablespoons olive oil
    4 teaspoons cumin
    salt and pepper to taste

For the Bliss Bowls
    8-10 pieces of Simple 5 Ingredient Baked Falafel
    2-3 cups spinach
    1-2 cups chopped red cabbage
    1 jalapeño, cut into slices
    ¼ cup crushed pistachios
    tahini, lemon juice and honey for drizzling (instead of honey can use rice syrup, maple syrup or omit entirely)
    (I whisked together 2 Tbsp Tahini, 2 Tbsp of lemon juice, and 1 Tbsp maple syrup for drizzle)

INSTRUCTIONS
    Falafel: Make falafel above. Takes about 30 minutes. can make ahead.

Roasted Veggies: Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Peel the carrots and cut into thin strips and place on a roasting pan. Chop the cauliflower into small florets and place on a separate roasting pan. Drizzle each pan with oil and sprinkle each pan with cumin, salt, and pepper. Toss around on the pan to combine. Bake for 20-30 minutes - stir occasionally, but not too often otherwise you'll disrupt the browning process. To get more browning, bake for an additional 10-15 minutes. When the veggies are done, remove from oven and set aside to cool.

Bliss Bowl Assembly: Assemble spinach, red cabbage, falafel, carrots, and roasted cauliflower in the bowls. Top with jalapeño and pistachios. Drizzle with tahini, lemon juice, honey, olive oil, and salt and pepper as needed.
  • Carla_wfpb
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I'm putting together this seasoning for a bean taco salad tonight and realized I probably haven't talked about it before. A nice way to skip the prepackaged taco mixes with junk in them and control your own salt.

I add it to the beans (or tofu, whatever I'm heating up). Start with half the yield per can/ 1.5 cups of beans and add more to taste.

Bill Echols Taco Seasoning (AllRecipes.com)

Ingredients

1 tablespoon chili powder
    1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
    1/4 teaspoon onion powder
    1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
    1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
    1/2 teaspoon paprika (I used smoked)
    1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
    1 teaspoon sea salt
    1 teaspoon black pepper

I also add in 1/8 to 1/4 tsp chipotle chili powder
  • Carla_wfpb
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Yum! I serve this over a bed of salad greens & whatever veggies I feel like.
    A half recipe makes for a very filling lunch for 2 people.

Easy Peasy Tu-No Salad
    straightupfood.com
    original recipe post: http://www.straightupfood.com/blog/2011/04/15/tu-no-salad-wraps/

Servings: Serves: 4 to 6 (makes 1 cup dressing and 5 cups salad)

Ingredients
    For the salad:
    2 cans cooked garbanzo beans (15 ounces each; about 3 cups total), drained and rinsed
    3 ribs celery, sliced or chopped (about 1 cup)
    ¼ cup finely chopped red onion
    ¼ cup finely chopped fresh basil
    1 medium, ripe avocado, chopped (optional)

Cashew-Mustard Dressing:
    ½ cup water
    2 ounces raw, unsalted cashews (about ½ cup)
    3 tablespoons lemon juice
    2 tablespoons mustard (I like Dijon or stone ground)
    2 teaspoons vinegar (I like apple cider)
    1 medium clove garlic, sliced
    2 to 3 teaspoons kelp granules (optional; see Notes)
    1/2 tsp salt & 10 cranks freshly ground pepper (Carla's 2 additions to recipe)

Steps
    Place all of the dressing ingredients (water, cashews, lemon juice, mustard, vinegar, garlic, and kelp, if using) into a blender, and set aside for at least 15 minutes (so the cashews can soften).
    Place the garbanzo beans into a food processor and pulse until the beans are broken but still flaky (do not overblend). (I just mashed mine in a bowl) Transfer the beans to a large bowl and add the celery, red onion, basil, and avocado (if using).
    Blend the dressing ingredients until smooth. Stir the dressing into the salad. Serve as is or see the serving suggestions [on website].

Notes
    Adding kelp granules lends a seafood flavor to this salad (although it’s great without it, too). You can find kelp granules in the spice aisle or Asian cooking section of the grocery store.
    For a lower-fat dressing, substitute a little over ½ cup cooked white beans (any type; drained and rinsed) for the cashews. (or half of each!)
  • Carla_wfpb
    Options
    Tasty! Plus there's a zucchini hidden in there.
    These could also very easily be converted to something with an Indian flair. I think I'll be able to get them similar in taste to TJ's Masala patties which use white potatoes and oil.

Lemon Tahini Chickpea Veggie Burgers
    runningonrealfood.com

Servings: Yield: 9
    Ingredients
    2 cups (350 g) cooked chickpeas
    1/2 (150 g) red onion, finely diced
    1 (200 g) zucchini, grated
    3 tbsp fresh lemon juice
    1 tsp lemon zest, optional for extra lemon flavour
    3 tbsp (45 g) tahini // I used 2 Tbsp and it gave it nice flavor
    1 cup (100 g) quick oats // I subbed regular oats, used less, and added 2Tbsp garbanzo flour
    2 tsp olive oil
    1 tbsp dijon mustard
    1 tbsp Frank’s Red Hot Sauce (optional)
    1/2 tsp sea salt or to tast
    2 tsp garlic powder
    1 tsp onion powder

Steps
    Place the chickpeas in a bowl and mash with a fork. It’s okay if some whole chickpeas are left but it should be mostly mashed up. It can be chunky though.
    Add the rest of the ingredients and mix well.
    Use your hands to form the mixture into 9 patties.
    Lightly spray a good non-stick skillet with cooking oil and heat pan over medium heat. Cook the burgers for approximately 10 minutes per side until crisped and firm.
    Notes
    If you stick to the weighed measurements as above, the mixture should be perfect for forming patties. If you find it’s a bit too wet though, simply add more quick oats, 1 tbsp at at time until you can form patties. You can also make them bigger if you want!
  • LizLovesVeggies
    LizLovesVeggies Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Just made this & was so impressed that wanted to share here for pb lovers trying to eat their zoodles...

15 Minute Garlic Lime Cashew Zoodles from Lavendar & Lime

These 15 minute garlic lime cashew zoodles are a super easy and healthy vegan meal option.

Prep Time 8 minutes
    Cook Time 7 minutes
    Total Time 15 minutes
    Servings 2

Ingredients
    2 medium zucchini
    2 large carrots peeled
    3/4 cup cashews
    1 tablespoon fresh cilantro chopped
    Sauce:
    2 heaping tablespoons peanut butter
    1/2 tablespoon hoisin sauce
    1/2 tablespoon sriracha sauce (or more if you like it spicy!)
    1 teaspoon soy sauce
    Juice of 1/2 lime
    2 cloves garlic minced

Instructions
    Spiralize the carrots on the thinnest setting, and spiralize the zucchini on the medium setting. Set aside.
    Add the peanut butter, hoisin sauce, sriracha sauce, soy sauce, lime juice, and garlic to a skillet on medium-high heat. Stirring constantly, cook it for about 2 minutes or until the garlic has just started to cook.
    Add the cashews, zucchini, and carrots. Using tongs or two large spoons, gently toss/lift up the pan contents every 10-20 seconds or so for about 4-5 minutes until everything is lightly cooked and heated through. The zucchini will release some liquid, which will help to make a nice sauce. When it's almost ready, add the cilantro in and toss. Serve immediately.
    Recipe Notes
    The zucchini I bought from the grocery store were fairly skinny and around 6-8 inches long. Keep in mind that home-grown zucchini is typically a lot larger. Be careful not to overcook this dish, or it'll end up a watery mess.

https://www.saltandlavender.com/15-minute-garlic-lime-cashew-zoodles/
  • Marilynsretired
    Marilynsretired Posts: 5,422 Member
    Options
    QUICK OATMEAL (from Dr. McDougall's 12 day plan)

Follow the directions below, not those on the package. Use no salt. You may want to add some dried fruit during the cooking

Servings: 1
    Preparation time: 1 minute
    Cooking time: 5 minutes

1/2 cup quick cooking oatmeal 1 cup water

Place water in saucepan.
    Add quick oats, bring to a boil and stir
    Boil for one minute stirring occasionally
    Cover, remove from heat
    Let rest for a few minutes
    Stir again and serve at once
    Sprinkle on nutmeg, mace, or cinnamon, any any combination

• Marilynsretired
    Options
    FAST PIZZA (from Dr. McDougall's 12 day plan)

Servings; 1
    Preparation time: 10 minutes
    Cooking time: 10 minutes

1 pita bread
    1/4 cup low sodium tomato sauce
    1/8 teaspoon dried basil
    1/8 teaspoon dried oregano

Toppings(Choose as many or as few as you wish)
    1/8 cup chopped yellow onions
    1/8 cup chopped scallions
    1/8 cup chopped green peppers
    4 sliced fresh mushrooms
    1/8 cup alfalfa sprouts

Cut the pita bread in half by separating it into two circles.
    Spread each half with tomato sauce.
    Sprinkle on the basil and oregano and add the toppings of your choice
    Bake at 300 degrees for 10 minutes or heat in a toaster oven for 5 minutes at 250 degrees
  • Marilynsretired
    Options
    SPICY CHILI BEANS (Dr McDougall 12 day plan)

Canned beans cannot be used in this recipe; the cooking liquid from the dry beans makes a rich, flavorful broth that forms the base for the chili. If you soak the beans overnight you can cut the cooking time in half. Freeze any leftover chili for a fast meal later. Serve over brown rice (make 3/4 cup per serving extra rice for a breakfast called Breakfast rice with fruit with rice)

Servings: 4 - 6
    Cooking time; 4 hours

2 cups dry red kidney beans
    5 cups wter
    2 yellow onions, chopped
    1 green pepper, chopped
    2 stalks celery, chopped
    2 clove garlic, crushed
    1 cup low sodium tomato sauce
    1 15 - 16 ounce can low sodium stewed tomatoes
    4 tablespoons chili powder
    2 teaspoons ground cumin
    1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
    1/8 teaspoon cayenne

Place the beans and water in a large pot.
    Bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 2 hours.
    Add the remaining ingredients and cook an additional 2 hours

• Marilynsretired
    Options
    STRAWBERRY FROZEN FRUIT DESSERT (from Dr. McDougalls 12 day plan)

Servings 8
    (Plus 15 - 30 minutes freezing time)
    Cooking time: none

1 1/2 cups canned crushed pineapple with juice
    3 frozen bananas
    3 cups frozen strawberries (1 16 ounce bag)

Place the crushed pineapple and juice in the blender.
    Add the frozen fruit a little at a time, blending between each addition.
    Scoop 1/2 cup servings into dessert dishes and freeze 15 - 30 minutes
    (If frozen for longer period of time, remove from freezer a few minutes before serving to soften)

**To freeze bananas, peel, wrap securely in plastic wrap, and place in freezer for at least 12 hours