Starting OMAD? Introduce Yourself Here!

Replies

• Tosin1982
    Tosin1982 Posts: 1 Member
    My name is Tosin
    ...160lbs current weight
    ...5'9
    ...Binge eating and overeating, eating my children's leftovers because I don't want to waste food
    ...140 - 145 goal weight
    ...4PM - 7PM
    ...February 10, 2016

Based on my height and my weight some might say I don't need to lose weight but prior to having my first child I was 138lbs. My body just doesn't feel right with all the weight I have gained. I am hoping to lose the fat mostly in my belly and arms area.
  • vrojapu
    vrojapu Posts: 268 Member
    Welcome Tosin, and good luck on your journey!
  • arguablysamson
    arguablysamson Posts: 1,706 Member
    Hi, Tosin.

Sounds like you have a pragmatic side to your thinking. That's great. OMAD will save you money and food. Plus, you'll find a lot of other areas of your life more manageable.

Ultimately, we all feel better when we feel that we look better, so your goal is reasonable. And it shouldn't take you long at all.

Welcome!
  • blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    Welcome!
  • Nevadaden
    Nevadaden Posts: 971 Member
    Welcome, Tosin.
  • mittenswillet
    mittenswillet Posts: 697 Member
    Welcome Tosin!
  • vrojapu
    Welcome Tosin!!
  • psychRN83
    psychRN83 Posts: 71 Member
    your name : Lisa
    your start weight : 300
    your height : 5' 7"
    struggles: I am diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and have been followed by a weight loss physician for three years with yo yo weights. I am prescribed Vyvanse to help control my binges.
    short term goal: 199
    long term goal: 165 (my weight a decade ago when I was in the Army)
    time of your OMAD: 5p-9p
    official OMAD start date: 2/15/16

I gained the majority of my weight going to college full time and working full time for the last 7 years. I worked nightshift as a nursing supervisor and eat all the time during the day and night. Even on nights i was off i would stay up until 0400 and eat while watching TV or studying. Now I am starting a new job as a psychiatric nurse practitioner and I want to be a good role model for my daughter and the patients I talk to. My eating is more controlled but I sit at a desk all day. The psychiatrist who was training me is healthy looking and slender despite spending more than a decade sitting all day while all of the other ladies and gents in the office seem to carry extra weight. I asked him his secret and noticed he rarely eats during the day and used his lunch hour to do other things he enjoyed rather than eat and sit more. His wife makes him a large meal when he gets home and that is when he eats the majority of his calories for the day. What a great idea!!! I use my lunch hour to walk at the park nearby, do light exercise at the gym three minutes away or to sit in the hottub at the gym!!

I was also diagnosed with a rare disease called Idiopathic Intracranial Hypertension in 2009 that could have been caused by weight gain and previous hormonal birth control. They are unsure but larger women on birth control seem to be diagnosed more often than others. Simply put, I produce too much cerebrospinal fluid and that fluid has nowhere to go. The fluid interrupts blood flow in the tiny cranial blood vessels as it fights for space. The fluid also causes severe pressure headaches and vision loss due to pressure on the optic nerves. I have also lost my sense of smell. It can also cause stroke, memory loss, and a slew of other problems. My intracranial pressure is three to four times the pressure of a normal persons and I have gotten mutiple lumbar punctures to remove fluid. I also take a horrid medication called Diamox to decrease my cerebrospinal fluid production. My options are to lose weight quickly, get gastric bypass, or have a brain operation to place a shunt to remove fluid. Losing weight rapidly has been found to take pressure off the abdomen and major blood vessels which can help decrease the pressure in the brain. Many people with my disease are disabled but I have refused to go down like that since being diagnosed. I want to live my life to the fullest. I want to work, play, and travel :-) Sorry so long.
  • d_boo
    d_boo Posts: 15 Member
    nmidwood13 wrote: »
    Thanks for the welcome everyone. So should I find out how many calories I'm suppose to have in order to lose weight? I'm afraid I will put too many calories on my plate.

Scooby's Workshop has a good calculator. Just ignore the part that tries to breakdown the recommended macros for each meal! Obviously!!!

http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/

Your TDEE is what you need to maintain your weight...if you cut by 20-25% you will lose weight...this is all assuming that you want to count calories. I do believe that not all calories are created equal; however, making sure you're hitting AROUND the target number can help you stay on track and ensure you're not grossly under or over eating your TDEE.

(FYI, as you'll read if you scroll all the way down, "the Mifflin-St Jeor appears to be about 5% more accurate than the Harris-Benedict equations.")
  • mittenswillet
    Welcome Lisa!!
  • d_boo
    d_boo Posts: 15 Member

Height: 5' 5"

Current weight: 140 pounds

Goal weight: 125-ish

Started OMAD: Late January for about a week and a half...then fell off wagon...trying to get back on

Time for OMAD: Typically dinner; I do have work lunches that if I really can't avoid eating due to social unacceptable situation, I will shift meal to lunch

Challenges: Emotional or hormonal triggered eating...difficulty stopping once starting (binge-like behavior) usually tied to an "all or nothing" mentality...I often feel like once I've "screwed up" for the day/week/etc. that I might as well let it all go and stuff my face (which makes no rational sense, but in the moment I can't stop myself from doing it)

Overall goal: To find peace with food and eating so that it's just a small and enjoyable part of my life, not an overwhelming influence on my happiness and mental state of being.

I've done some form of IF for about a year now...I did a Whole30 last spring that really got me into more Paleo and clean eating choices...but I still struggle with volume (I like to feel full and eat a fairly large quantity of food) and with my Type-A/perfectionist tendencies (where I want to be perfectly paleo...but then if I "mess up" I blow it all out with a binge and then start a cycle of guilt, shame, feeling bad about my weight, etc.). I really like IF and I really don't miss eating in the morning. I have known about OMAD for a while and tried a few times in past years, but could only make it to 3pm or so. Last month something clicked, and I started holding out until dinner...and once you start doing it, you realize it isn't that bad...you realize how mental everything is. How much of my eating is triggered or influenced by things other than hunger.

Another challenging thing for me to deal with is that I "only" have 10-15 pounds to lose. But it's the same pounds always. It's hard when you look pretty fit relative to a majority of the population...but you don't feel good and can feel and see the difference of those 10 pounds from when you didn't have them. Then you have to deal with people telling you that you don't need to lose weight, etc. etc.

The best part about OMAD is the reduction in obsession over food and food choices. I actually feel like I'm still a bit obsessive now...but once I get back into the OMAD rhythm, I'm hoping my mental balance will be better. I just want to be in control - not have food be in control of me!!! (Paleo is great but because you have to cook most of your own food, if you have to prepare more than one meal, it means constantly thinking about what you can eat...how you're going to prepare it...etc.)

Wow, longest post ever - sorry!

- Deb
  • arguablysamson
    Welcome, Lisa and Deb. Glad you could join us.

It's time to take control! :-)
  • blambo61
    I take a protein sup with my meal and I think it helps me to not be so hungry during the fast the next day. Might all be in my mind but I do think it helps. Also large quantities of water help a lot during the fast.
  • mittenswillet
    welcome Deb!
  • vrojapu
    Welcome, guys!!
  • arguablysamson
    newmeadow wrote: »
    Hi all. I've been lurking around this group and there seems to be some wonderful things happening here. I'm starting tonight. I work late nights so my meal of the day will take place between 11 pm and 1 am. I plan to meticulously weigh and measure the food and track it daily in my diary, just so I know how much I'm actually eating. The thought of not having to eat anything else until late tonight is such a relief already!

I've made a deal with myself. Once I get halfway to goal using this method, I'll open my diary for public viewing if it can help others. I have a feeling this might be the way to go for me.

I'm a 49 year old who eats huge quantities around the clock and has been significantly overweight for 21 years. I'm 5 foot 5 and currently wearing a size 20. I've been on MFP for 2 years, losing and gaining back the same 30 lbs. many times and still not being anywhere near goal. I've used many methods at MFP - calorie counting with three meals a day plus snacking, paleo, primal, and low carb. I've used other methods before joining MFP such as: The Zone diet, Weight Watchers, juicing, vegetarian, vegan, food combining, Overeaters Anonymous and all sorts of gym memberships and "working out" for weight loss. Blah, blah.

Aside from being in the prison of a fat body, the worst is the mental obsession with food. I'm so tired of thinking about food all the time. Then there's the shopping for it, spending big bucks on it, cooking it, pre-planning it, lugging meals around with me when I'm not at home - I can't stand it anymore. If one meal a day is the key to unlock these prison bars, I'll take it.

Welcome!

Wonderful things, indeed! But it's always the individuals who make the decision to invite wonderful things into their lives that allow that "wonderful" to have place. It's all about self-mastery. Follow the one-plate rule and no playing "the dieting game" and you'll find contentment and weight issues won't surface in your life again.
  • Nevadaden
    Nevadaden Posts: 971 Member
    Welcome, newmeadow!
  • arguablysamson
    newmeadow wrote: »
    Thanks for the welcome. Right now I'm experiencing a sudden feeling of exhaustion - 1st day. My binge ended at 9 a.m. this morning so it's only been 13 1/2 hours without food. I don't know if I should just go to bed now and continue to go without food until tomorrow at 11 p.m. and make tomorrow my first day. That would be 38 hours without any food though. I feel much too tired to cook a meal right now. I also wanted to take a pic of my meal with my phone and then move it to the computer and then upload it to this thread but I have no idea how to do that and I'm bummed out by it. I envy everyone else's skill with technology but I'm a dunce with it.

Nevermind. I've decided. I'm not going into food obsession. That's why I want to do this, to make that torture stop. I'm going to the Wendy's drive thru RIGHT NOW and get a burger, fries and a soda. 24 hours from now I'll have a home cooked and carefully planned meal...Wow - this tiredness! It's intense.

Good. You made a decisive, smart decision. You'll eat and now have to again till tomorrow. Sounds like a plan.
  • blambo61
    edited February 2016
    I would NOTdo a 38 hr fast! Slow and easy wins the race. This isn't a sprint. It is a lifestyle change. Lifestyle changes have to be sustainable or we won't stick with them and we won't change!

I tank up when I eat so I can fast the next day. If you are too agressive, it can make it not sustainable. I'm glad your going to get something to eat. Dont sweat it, you did good by going as long as you did without food. Just keep working at it and it will get better and easier. An occasional mess-up doesn't matter as long as we mostly are doing what we are supposed to do and are improving!

At a minimum, go as long as you can working towards omad and increase the time tell you get there if you are not able to do it immediately. That in itself will start to change you. Your stomach will start shrinking,you will clear a bunch of junk out of you that will make you feel better, you won't be on a sugar-high / sugar-low roller coaster while your fasting, your digestive system, and hence your heart also, will get some needed rest while your fasting. It will become easier as you continue. Don't go overboard and knock yourself out of this before you have even started! Little steps will get you there IMO. Good luck and drink lots of water while you fast!
  • mittenswillet
    Welcome newmeadow! Im glad everyone's success has made you jump into this and just start! About your phone.... there is usually some kind of app you can download on yr pc that transfers photos to your pc when you plug in your phone. I have a Samsung phone, so I use an app for Samsung called Samsung Kies.

If you google the question with your phone name, you will get an answer.