Lump at the bottom of the sternum

Options
Has anyone else felt a lump at the bottom of your sternum? It feel so odd and feels larger than I think it should. I also had a hernia repair and wonder if thats what it is. Sometimes it feel a little painful especially after I have had a bra on all day. I don't see my surgeon until April and I don't want to make an appointment for this if it is normal.

Replies

• rpyle111
    rpyle111 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Not sure how far post-surgery you are or how much you have lost, but as I started losing more weight, I found parts of my body that I had never felt before. Collarbone definition was the biggest reveal! Laying flat on my back and being able to feel my pulse in my stomach (I assume it is the Aorta!). Get it checked out, but my sternum ends in what I might call a lump.

Rob
  • grim_traveller
    grim_traveller Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    What kind of a lump? If it feels bony, that's called the xiphoid process. It's supposed to be there. It's a very odd little bone that was buried under a mound of fat while we were morbidly obese.
  • Tawnykakers1
    Tawnykakers1 Posts: 207 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Rpyle111- I am almost 3 months out from my sleeve and since I started the process I have lost 70lbs. You are so right I am feeling things that I didn't know existed. Grim_traveller you go it. I talked to my family doc. today. She told me it is the xiphoid process and sometimes we not only feel it after weight loss but excess weight over years may push it out more. I go into see her in a few weeks she will double check it then but said I shouldn't worry about it.
  • grim_traveller
    grim_traveller Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Rpyle111- I am almost 3 months out from my sleeve and since I started the process I have lost 70lbs. You are so right I am feeling things that I didn't know existed. Grim_traveller you go it. I talked to my family doc. today. She told me it is the xiphoid process and sometimes we not only feel it after weight loss but excess weight over years may push it out more. I go into see her in a few weeks she will double check it then but said I shouldn't worry about it.

You'll end up with bones sticking out all over. My butt hurt for months. I still can't sleep without a pillow between my knees.
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    Has anyone else felt a lump at the bottom of your sternum? It feel so odd and feels larger than I think it should. I also had a hernia repair and wonder if thats what it is. Sometimes it feel a little painful especially after I have had a bra on all day. I don't see my surgeon until April and I don't want to make an appointment for this if it is normal.

Yes! It kind of freaked me out at first, until I realized it was supposed to be there, and like Grim said, I definitely discovered bones I didn't even realize I had!
  • Tawnykakers1
    Tawnykakers1 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    You are all so right. I have really noticed my ribs and the tailbone lately. Sometimes I feel the same spot on my husband to see if its normal. He's such a good sport. When I went for a hike the other day I actually thought if I fall I wont have all the cushion to break my fall. What weird thoughts that go through my mind.
  • cabennett99
    cabennett99 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Yes! I have exactly what you describe - a bony protrusion at the base of my sternum...kind of freaked me out at first. I expected the collar bone, tail bone, etc. But this caught me by surprise. I'm pretty sure for me it's structural from when I weighed 350 lbs. and my barrel chest and pot belly pushed out on my skeletal frame for so long. Mine never hurt, my surgeon and his staff weren't too concerned (they chalked it up to the "you'll feel more bones..." school of thought. My primary care doc shrugged it off. I've gotten used to it. At 16 months post op, down 150 lbs, I'm fine with it, whatever it is.
  • bcedl1982
    bcedl1982 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting, everyone, because I was just starting to wonder/worry about the same things!
  • anbrdr
    anbrdr Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    My bed has become much more uncomfortable, now that I am missing my insulation. I can feel the springs pressing on the bony spots. Time for a new matress.