Magnesium for sleep??

Options
Hi All!
What are your thoughts on Magnesium to help you sleep? I feel like I may be getting plenty of magnesium since I eat a lot of spinach but I am really having a hard time falling asleep at night. I heard somewhere taking magnesium before bed could help you fall asleep. It's to the point that I'm tired and then I close my eyes and 1.5 hours goes by and I still haven't fallen asleep yet and then I'm no longer tired. Any thoughts? The worst problem is my SO snores and if I don't get to sleep before him, I'll be up even longer. Since I started this WOE, it's been getting harder and harder and a couple times a week we have to sleep in separate rooms. So, any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Replies

• jmw6019
    jmw6019 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I take magnesium to help with leg cramps but not sure if it helps me sleep? I do sleep better when I take a melatonin before bed though.
  • marshmallowbuff
    marshmallowbuff Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    It wouldn't hurt to try some mag for sleep. I usually take my magnesium before bed butttttt then I also take a sleeping pill cos I have been struggling with insomnia BAD for the last 2 months

Maybe try some melatonin around bed time with the magnesium and see if that helps you!! Ive used the 5mg fast dissolve tabs in the past (I have no idea it's effect on ketosis, but it's def sweetened with something artificial). They helped me fall asleep but didn't help keep me asleep which is what I need.

I hope you find relief soon! Not being able to sleep is the worst!
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    You're probably not getting as much as you think from that spinach. Soils are so depleted that it doesn't have as much magnesium in it as it should. Even if you go organic, doesn't mean it will have higher amounts. It has to be grown on soil that is strategically farmed to increase the nutrients and even add extra nutrients to the soil as well. It's kind of sad how bad the farming soil is.
    Magnesium glycinate or citrate (or other "ate" form) absorb best.
    If sleep is an issue look into GABA, I've only barely read about it and haven't tried it since I don't have any sleep issues, but I hear it recommended regularly on various podcasts regarding supplements and such I listen to.
    I hear regular warnings about melatonin. Mostly that it can interfere with your natural production of you take too much. I've also heard that the dosage recommendation typically on the bottle of even the lowest dose is too much.
    Maybe do some research on those and see if that might be an answer for you.
  • marshmallowbuff
    marshmallowbuff Posts: 32 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    You're probably not getting as much as you think from that spinach. Soils are so depleted that it doesn't have as much magnesium in it as it should. Even if you go organic, doesn't mean it will have higher amounts. It has to be grown on soil that is strategically farmed to increase the nutrients and even add extra nutrients to the soil as well. It's kind of sad how bad the farming soil is.
    Magnesium glycinate or citrate (or other "ate" form) absorb best.
    If sleep is an issue look into GABA, I've only barely read about it and haven't tried it since I don't have any sleep issues, but I hear it recommended regularly on various podcasts regarding supplements and such I listen to.
    I hear regular warnings about melatonin. Mostly that it can interfere with your natural production of you take too much. I've also heard that the dosage recommendation typically on the bottle of even the lowest dose is too much.
    Maybe do some research on those and see if that might be an answer for you.

I've heard that about melatonin too! So def be careful. I took it because my doctor is making me try it before I take any prescription sleep Meds lol.

Limit tv and brain stimulating activities before bed. Get some black out curtains, turn on a fan or sound machine for white noise, don't use your phone in bed. There's some articles floating around that say the light from your phone can distrupt your bodies ability to produce melatonin on its own since the light is bright enough to inhibit it (or something to that extent).

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3047226/
  • ChelseaPeanut
    ChelseaPeanut Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I take a Magnesium powder in water. It tastes good (lemonade flavored) and I am definitely calmer and more relaxed after I take it. I take to reduce anxiety that I am super prone to, but I'm sure it would help for sleep as well....It's called Natural Calm. I bet it would be very effective if added it to Sleepy Time Tea in the evening.
  • no_day_but_2day
    no_day_but_2day Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I've heard that about melatonin too! So def be careful. I took it because my doctor is making me try it before I take any prescription sleep Meds lol.

Limit tv and brain stimulating activities before bed. Get some black out curtains, turn on a fan or sound machine for white noise, don't use your phone in bed. There's some articles floating around that say the light from your phone can distrupt your bodies ability to produce melatonin on its own since the light is bright enough to inhibit it (or something to that extent).

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3047226/

Ya, I do have issues with checking my phone before bed. We do already have black out curtains and a fan on since we like to drown out noise.
    I'll try to limit phone use in bed and check out some magnesium supplements at the store.

Thanks all!
  • dasher602014
    dasher602014 Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    Magnesium powder before bed here and I am failing asleep regularly before the snorer. And staying asleep until early morning but I can get back to sleep most of the time even if I wake up too soon. Huge difference to me. Used to be awake for at least 2 hours after snorer started 2-3 nights a week. Berry flavour but lemon sounds way better!
  • ettaterrell
    ettaterrell Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    I started taking magnisum with zinc and I realized the bottle said take 3 at night time... It was kicking my but during the day. Now I take magnisum citrat and does not effect me at all but my husband started taking the one with zinc and he can only take 2 (bottle says 3) and it knocks him out. Also my doc told me one time when I was ha I got trouble sleeping that the safest thing to take was benidrill.
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Ya, I do have issues with checking my phone before bed.

There are blue light filter apps that should help. I think this is the one I use:
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.urbandroid.lux

Exercise helps me. It doesn't seem to matter much when I do it. Any high exertion during the day means I'll fall asleep quickly.
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    Regarding your SO snoring: use earplugs - they work! That the ONLY way I can get to sleep when my current partner snores. lol