Introduce yourself.

Options

Replies

• meghanfleming855
    meghanfleming855 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I'm Brynn, 29 year old teacher. I'm only 5'1" and I weigh 152 right now. I started the winter blast challenge at 162 so I've lost 10 punds! My weight fluctuates a lot and my husband and I love to go out to eat, so I tend to over eat and drink on the weekends but stay strong during the week. If I can get down to 145 for my honeymoon in July, I would be so so happy. I love to run, so losing weight is important for my knees.

Hey! We're pretty close in age height and weigt. If your interested add me as a friend for support. My goal weight is 130 and I'm currently at 145.5lbs started at 156 on January 1st
  • Ahollowed
    Ahollowed Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Hi , im alice. I have 4 kids that i homeschool 4-13. I am 39, 5'6, and at about 154 lbs. i'd like to get down under 140 lbs. I've never done a challenge on mfp.
  • jaya11
    jaya11 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Hi all! My name is Jay and I'm from CA. I need to lose 20 lbs that's proving to be a uphill battle. I'm a vegetarian and try to eat healthy. I'm consistent in my exercise routine but have not been successful in my goals yet. I've lost 30 lbs gradually over the years and have kept it off and now I'm plateauing. I need to change something to see some results so thought of joining the challenge to keep me motivated and inspired.
  • MarlinWil
    MarlinWil Posts: 119 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Hi, all. I live in Queensland, Australia, and am returning to MFP after over a year of struggle. I was 1kg away from my goal weight, having lost 8kg, and then suddenly I stopped. Everything. Now I have gained all my 8kg back, plus another 4, leaving me 13kg away from my target. I have become so negative and abusive towards myself in my head, which is not a fun place to be. Gritting my teeth and needing to regain some joy and zest for life.

Some background; my daughter was diagnosed with a life-limiting disease in August, 2011, and not expected to survive another 12 months to her 3rd birthday. She is now almost 6.5years old, and doing remarkably well. A blessing, and a miracle. I can't work, because her health can turn very quickly, and I am required to be on-call 24/7, but now that she is at a very supportive school I find that I have a little more time for me. Although a lot of that time is now taken up with caring for my parents-in-law. Ma has dementia, and Paps has some heart issues, and they are both elderly and determined to stay in their own home as long as possible. I am committed to helping them do this. My husband works away, and we have separated, although are in the unusual position of me renting the house next door in order to provide him with as much assistance as possible with our daughter when he is at home.

I honestly have no clue how to rise above the struggles and relentless worry, and am terrified that I have forgotten how to laugh. Many of my friends have kind of moved on with their lives, and I have lost my ability to relate to people on a casual and "normal" level.

This is pretty heavy stuff, but I need to be real about my challenges, and the fact that I have never needed support or encouragement more. My starting point has to be getting back into a healthier routine, where I can start moving more consistently and making better choices about my nutrition. My girls eat so healthily, and I am a massive advocate for Paleo (I think it is the biggest reason my daughter is doing so amazingly well), but I have fallen into a sugar addiction, and emotional eating. Really hoping that this challenge will assist me to get back on track, and I am looking forward to receiving and giving support as we all take it on together.

Thanks for reading my story.
  • SamandaIndia
    SamandaIndia Posts: 1,577 Member
    Options
    @MarlinWil (and anyone else here) if you are looking for extra low carb support and access to scientific support for low carb high fat diets including paleo then the low carber daily, lchf private group is worth requesting access to. Just let them know you are interested in learning more. Good luck -you have very challenging circumstances so particularly good you are looking after yourself (otherwise v hard to give energy to others).

@meghanfleming855 in answer to how does a challenge group work: up to each of us how much we participate. More I put in the more I get out. Minimum is weigh in each week, same day of week, and enter that into spreadsheet. @mallowbar will give instructions on how to do that. Does not matter if you go up or down, just enter it.

For fun, you can join a team by saying yes to amazing race challenge. @mallowbar will allocate who is on which team. Try the challenges and roadblocks (usually an exercise or dance plus a nutritional one). Record results again in spreadsheet. Encourage team on team discussion chats.

Even if you do not want to do that you can post non scale victories, questions and even grumbles on discussions or support others who are doing likewise. For Example, I find it Nice to know that most people have weight loss plateaus for days, weeks, even over a month, despite being angellic. I learned that through participating in challenges.

I do participate in another challenge where we have discussions n are supportive of each other plus the low carber daily group (again support +science). This group I like because it encourages me to try things like kosack dancing. Great fun to laugh at myself when I ended up on my rear mid dance.

Hope that covers a perspective on how a challenge group works. Needs participation to be active to truly get the most health benefits plus fun n support from it. Looking forward to another great challenge.
  • BJerzy
    BJerzy Posts: 1,843 Member
    Options
    @MarlinWil thank you for sharing your story. We are here to support you and even if you just need someone to talk to, I love to listen.
  • TanyaS007
    TanyaS007 Posts: 177 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Hi, my name is Tanya from Maryland. My weight has been up and down for the past two years due to stress and two minor injuries. Getting to the gym was tough. Just want to get back on track and lose about 15 pounds. The motivation and accountability from a team of like minded people will be phenomenal. Looking forward to shedding the pounds and looking and feeling better in my clothes.
  • Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm Nia and will have my 71st birthday during this challenge. I retired almost 6 years ago with obesity related health issues from a desk-bound job. I only need to take care of myself and my cat so joining a group challenge is a good way for me to stay connected and be motivated. MFP has been my 'friend' since 2012 and during that time I have done pretty much the same thing as I did for the 30 years before then ... lose and regain and gain some more and lose and regain again. In September of last year I gave myself the goal to get out of the obese category by my 72 birthday ... so I have about 15 months left to get to my goal. It's doable if I stay on track of losing at least 1 pound a week ... and I know from experience how hard it is for me, or anyone, to consistenty lose that much weight week in and week out. So ... challenges that help me get/stay active physically and motivated emotionally are what I really need and would like to help give to others as well. Glad to be joining in.
  • SamandaIndia
    Options
    @Nikion901 Great that you are here. Mum went abseiling n climbing for her 70th birthday. Lots of doors open if we can be healthy to take them. Looking forward to hearing from you.
  • alystone
    alystone Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Hi, guys! My name is Aly, I am 26 and I currently live in Georgia. (Moving back to Alabama to my Husband's family farm house very, very soon though!) I am new to this challenge group, but it sounds like a lot of fun. I am excited to get started :) My goal is to lose about 27 more lbs before my 27th birthday (5/25), and I am hoping this challenge group helps keep me on track to meet my goal loss, as well as help me continue to tone up. I have lost 53# total in the last 13 months, and I am so glad to be so close to my healthy weight goal. Here's to the next couple months, yall ;)
  • KKOrand
    KKOrand Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone. I am from Texas. I'm 49, mom of 2 & granny of 6. I am needing to lose 105 pounds. If I stay active in a "challenge I know the time will go by fast and keep me focused.
  • Tlw1031
    Tlw1031 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi I have been doing mfp since feb 1st and I have lost about 8.5 pounds so far. I am 36 years old and for me this isn't a diet my husband and I are doing a life style change. We are eating more fruits and veggies. And exercising regularly. My goal is to lose 60 pounds. And to be a healthier me.
  • Diana6ft
    Diana6ft Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    My name is Diana. I'm 34 years old. I'm about 6ft tall and weigh 185. Google suggests that I weigh 159.5 lbs, but I'm not sure that's possible. For now I'm focusing on logging everyday and exercising at least 5 times a week. I have five kids ages 8, 11, 13, 15, and 16. We recently moved to the Coachella Valley in southern California because my husband got a teaching job here. I'm having a bit of a mid life crisis. I was 17 when we had our first daughter, so my life has really been about my family. Now I'm in my mid 30s, my kids are older, my husband is (finally) settled in his career, and I'm not quite sure what to do with myself.
  • Diana6ft
    Diana6ft Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Also, I have 3 friends on mfp. I would love more.
  • LoveLacy
    LoveLacy Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Hi All, my name is Lacy and I'm 27. I live with my partner who is also overweight, and am hoping that my losing weight will encourage him to be more active also. I work in an office and by the time I get home as I use public transport, time is getting on and I struggle to fit much exercise in. Since joining on 1st Jan I have lost over a stone and increased my exercise but that previous 2 weeks I lost my motivation. Am hoping this challenge will help to motivate and inspire me to get of my lazy behind and get back on track, I have weight to lose ready for my holiday in April. (will my being away mid april to early may affect my being able to join in)
  • bex_2016
    bex_2016 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Hi guys!!!! I'm a married mum of three who works part time for the NHS. I'm good at keeping on track mon-Fri but struggle a little on the weekends when the routine of the week goes to pot!
    Looking forward to getting to know everyone and taking part in the challenge! X
  • mindse
    mindse Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm Mindy, 46 yr old lawyer with two kids in California. I'm trying to get under the magic number of 200 and keep losing motivation. I have lost about 40 pounds the last two years and I need accountability to stay motivated, so this sounds like a great challenge for me.
  • SamandaIndia
    Options
    Diana6ft wrote: »
    My name is Diana. I'm 34 years old. I'm about 6ft tall and weigh 185. Google suggests that I weigh 159.5 lbs, but I'm not sure that's possible. For now I'm focusing on logging everyday and exercising at least 5 times a week. I have five kids ages 8, 11, 13, 15, and 16. We recently moved to the Coachella Valley in southern California because my husband got a teaching job here. I'm having a bit of a mid life crisis. I was 17 when we had our first daughter, so my life has really been about my family. Now I'm in my mid 30s, my kids are older, my husband is (finally) settled in his career, and I'm not quite sure what to do with myself.

There are lots of ways to calculate ideal weight. Using Harwi I get an ideal weight of 165lbs for a woman your height. If you have a big frame that can be up to 183lbs, for a smaller frame down to 144lbs. Matters where you feel happy n healthy.

As for the crisis. What else can you enjoy outside of being a mum? Huge step to find those things and define ourselves beyond our roles in other people's lives. For me learning great nutrition, cooking, exercising, hobies, social events n travel all contribute. Hope you find this challenge part of your inspiration.
  • jaydavis50
    jaydavis50 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, I'm Jay, In 53 and just had my physical. Dr got on me for blood pressure being high. Wants me to get down to 210 lbs from 240 lbs. Off to a good start, lost 5 lbs the last two weeks.
  • akitamother10
    akitamother10 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. My name is Karrie. I'm a breast cancer survivor. During my 2 years of chemo and radiation I was unable to work because it was so toxic on my body but it did NOT do anything for lack of appetite. I craved hamburger and Broccoli like they were the final things on the earth. I spent 2 years living as a couch potato and eating. And now it's just been a constant battle fighting the meds I have to take for the rest of my life. And fighting the urge to cover up the trauma with food. I need to find that happy medium I previously had.
    I'm 5'9 and 200#. I miss that woman who was once 165 and fit. I'd like to find her again.