What is wrong with my approach?

Options
7aneena
7aneena Posts: 146 Member
Hello everyone,
I wrote a post a week ago I think about my plan and I don't if it is working and maybe I need to make some changes, I'm not sure what changes to make.
To make a long story short, I've been eating around 50g net carbs, the plan I was following did have cookies made with almond flour and sweetened with coconut palm sugar - I'm thinking maybe that was keeping from losing weight?
It has been over 10 days since I had LC dessert though.

Anyway since I started eating LC I've losing and gaining the same 2-3 lbs and I have about 25-30 lbs of fat to lose, I am assuming I am going to lose LBM in the process, hopefully no more than 5 lbs (currently I weigh 170 lbs at 5 feet tall, 115 LBS, 40 LBM non essential fat)
I am confused with the information I've been reading, some "expert" say women should eat between 50-75 of carbs, while others say to lose weight you should aim for around 20 carbs.

I'm also confused with the whole protein consumption thing, I just can't see how I can be full while eating less than a 100g of protein when a 6oz chicken breast is 53g of protein.

I am looking for help, advise, things that worked for you and also anyone who has an open diary and has been successful losing weight

Also, for someone who wants to lose 30lbs of fat, what is a reasonable rate?

Replies

• sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    If you are just starting out then I would try it without the low carb substitutes and desserts. Keep things simple at first and perhaps try using the calculator in the launch pad to figure out what is right for your body?
  • 7aneena
    Options
    I did stop the desserts but my weight still won't budge. My issue with the calculator is at 10% C, 25% P, 65% F which is 32g, 80g, 95g respectively is not enough food for me to be full. With these macros I always go above the recommended protein
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    You might be especially carb sensitive. Are you diabetic or insulin resistant? Do you know your fasting glucose or maybe even your HDL and trigs from a blood test?

It might be that 50 net carbs is too high for you. Would you consider going lower? And, of course, cut out the fake sweeteners and replacement foods (focus on real foods, not replacing carb foods with low-carb replicas) until you have a working baseline.
  • 7aneena
    Options
    @FIT_Goat diabetes runs in my family, I am prediabetic. My blood glucose always comes out normal but I do have insulin resistance and I am on metformin for metabolic syndrome. I don't remember my cholesterol and triglycerides levels but I know that TG, total cholesterol and LDL were borderline high while HDL was low.
    I can manage ~30 g net carbs but my issue is that I do not know how to increase fat without also increasing protein.
    Does anyone here have an open diary I can look at for ideas?
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    The IR will make your current carb goal and the low carb "faux foods" particularly troublesome for you.
    Same with high protein.
    If you're hungry, you're likely not getting enough fat or enough of the right fat or enough calories.
    What's your calorie total been like?
  • 7aneena
    Options
    @Sunny_Bunny_ my calories range between 1200-1500 but mostly avg around 1300. My fat intake is ranges from 60-70g. I did stock up on skinless chicken breast before I started all of this so eating lean meat is probably not helping
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    @7aneena Try cooking your chicken breast in butter or coconut oil. It will up the fat without adding more protein or carbs. An easy way to add more fat and help you feel more satisfied.
  • Beachlady228
    Beachlady228 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I have an open diary, feel free to friend me. I have around 1300 calories with macros at 5/20/75. I eat a lot of chicken breasts, (my SO does not eat beef) I just cook with lots of coconut oil, butter and cream. If I get hungry, I just eat more, but keep my Macros in line.
  • DaniTronMcNally
    DaniTronMcNally Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I have an open diary. Saying women need more carbs than men is not really accurate. I've been researching this a lot lately. I've been told that as a woman and as a mum who is breastfeeding I can't dip below 75 carbs. Well I've been having 20-25 a day for 6 weeks now and I feel fantastic. My daughter is happier (less belly aches, better sleep etc) and I think it's making a huge difference to my anxiety and stress. Add me :)
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    Yeah, you have all the characteristics of being extra sensitive to carbs. It might just be that 50 grams net is too high for you.

The extra protein may cause you problems, but I would cross that bridge when you come to it. By my calculations, you're near 120 grams right now? Is that about right? You could probably hit 140-150 grams without major issues, if you need to add more. It takes a fairly large amount over your body's needs for it to cause a problem, and that is only for some people. The lean meat is not helping, but that is what heavy cream, cheese sauces, and bacon are there for.

It would definitely be a good idea to move down to 30 grams and see if that brings about a change. My first instinct, whenever someone is struggling to lose but everything says they shouldn't be, is to try lower carbs. Usually, they don't have any clue that they're that sensitive to them. You already have a lot of clues that carbs are a big issue and you might need to restrict them more than others.

Is it fair that some people can have success at 50 grams and you might be best at half that? No. But, life isn't always fair. How many people out there eat 60% carbs and never seem to gain weight? Everyone needs to find what works for their own body.

Personally, I find trouble if I go much above 20 grams and I am best near 0 grams. I'm not even that sensitive compared to most folks. I lose with anything under 40 grams, although being around there causes more cravings. I just find that I feel best when far away from my limit.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I eat skinless chicken breast a lot myself. I cook it in butter or coconut oil and sometimes make a sauce from heavy cream, butter, cheese and garlic or whatevever flavor you like for it.
    You can make it work.
    If you add fat to your meal with those things you will find that 4 oz or so of chicken will do quite nicely.
    BUT, being new to this, it's a good idea not to bother restricting calories at first. However, you will have to keep carbs low enough to prevent an insulin response or you will not be able to achieve enough hunger control to prevent you from wildly overeating.
    Being IR makes that a bit trickier because you are more sensitive to any and all carbs. So you get a greater insulin response than a non IR person does with the same amount of carbs.
    I would recommend to count total carbs. That "net" business can be a license to allow things that will become an issue. You can and will reverse your IR in time on a LCHF diet and may be able to increase to your current amount when that happens. But, I believe you find the magic spot for hunger control and the least insulin response at 20-ish or less total.
    Do you drink coffee? I think if you could do an intermittent fast from dinner one night until lunch the next day by drinking a couple cups of coffee with coconut oil and butter that you will get there the fastest as far as being able to feel comfortably in control of what you're eating. And having zero carbs in the morning will be a huge benefit for you with IR too. Also helps to boost ketones, and adaptation.
    Just another note, you need sodium. Quite a lot of it. Try to drink broth or eat a few pickles and salt all your foods to taste to help get the 300-5000mg you'll be needing because you will be losing a lot of salt with the water that will going.
    You will also need magnesium. A good supplement is magnesium glycinate but good luck finding it in any store. You can typically find magnesium citrate at Walgreens but you'll get about 2g carbs from their gel tablets.
    It really is best to order online...
    So, work on getting your fat up.
    Consider coconut oil/butter coffee. Will give you 30+ grams of fat right there.
    Get at least 4000 mg salt a day your first week. You can even just take a couple sodium chloride tablet you can get at Walgreens if that's easier.
    And order you some magnesium. Electrolytes are insanely important.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I am prediabetic and appear to be quite carb sensitive. My weight loss stops when total carbs are above 30g, and I feel my best when it is well below 20g. I do tend to eat more when carbs creep up too so that would contribute to the problem too.

I am also protein sensitive. When my protein intake gets above 20% my blood glucose starts to rise. I imagine my insulin is way up again too. I am a believer in the influence of insulin on weight, so I find it unsurprising that I don't lose well when my protein intake is higher.
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    I was formerly prediabetic (reversed it) but I have PCOS and I also appear to be IR/carb sensitive. I was eating 1350 calories/day until just recently (getting closer to maintenance). I lost 20 lbs in a little over 3 months. My macro percentages were the same as yours; 10% carbs, 25% protein, 65% fat though for me that meant staying under 20-30gm net carbs. I agree I'd try 30 net and see how your body responds.

I was on a low carb/low fat/high protein diet previously and personally I've found that once I got the hang of low carb/high fat/adequate protein and what to eat, I've been less hungry and more satisfied with fewer carb cravings than when I was low carb/high protein. It might take some more experimenting with the amount and type of fat you're eating for satiety.
  • DietPrada
    DietPrada Posts: 1,171 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I ate 1600 calories and 20g of carbs for 9 months last year and lost almost nothing. For the last two months I've cut out vegetables, 10 - 13g carbs, no artificial sweeteners, same calories and I've lost 6kg. My whole family on my Dad's side has diabetes. My doctor told me 3 years ago if I didn't make changes I would have diabetes by the time I was 40. I'm 41 now and my bloods are perfect, my health has never been better. I don't have trouble keeping my protein at under 100g - 6oz of chicken is quite a bit. My biggest secret is intermittent fasting of a sort, meaning I will have a big coffee with 15g butter and 20ml of cream for breakfast, then about 200g meat lunch and dinner. Good foods to get fat without too much protein are avocados, and I actually love Pate. The bottom drawer of my fridge is full of salami, cheese stringers, pate pods (50g servings), little tubs of cream cheese (40g philly tubs) olives, dill pickles etc.

Edited to say, being "full" is something you need to let go of. I used to be that person, and felt I needed to be full all the time. That's partly because you can eat carbs until you feel sick but a couple of hours later you're hungry again. Once you're eating Keto you don't need to eat until you're full. Just until you're not hungry. You will stay not hungry for alot longer.
  • 7aneena
    Options
    Thank you all for your responses and suggestions. @dmedoff @DaniTronMcNally I looked at your diary and it seems very doable for me :smile:
    @FIT_Goat it seems I am a poster child for what can go wrong following SAD. I do appreciate your suggestions, I think 30 is very doable especially if I don't worry so much about my 110g of protein unless it turns out to be an issue
    @Sunny_Bunny_ great advise there, thank you
    @nvmomketo @macchiatto your approach seems doable to me, thank you for sharing your experience, hopefully it will work for me as well
    @EbonyDahlia hopefully I won't have to go that low, I'm glad you found what works for you though
  • erinseattle
    erinseattle Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    How did you determine your lean body mass? I've been lifting weights for 10 years and at 5'2" my high was 93 lbs of LBM and that includes 4 lbs of bone. I've been analyzed by two different methods several times over the last 4 years, so I'm confident about my numbers. Visually, I have quite a lot of definition. I say all this just because I'm concerned that at 5'0", 115 lbs of LBM is a LOT, unless you have been bodybuilding. Check out this method of determining your protein needs:

http://docmuscles.com/2015/11/15/take-just-a-moment-and-admire-then-calculate-your-ideal-body-weight/

It's really easy for me to overeat protein, so I do track and use a scale. I'm fascinated by Dr. Nally and you can find a lot of information on his website, particularly about IR and diabetes - he became a doctor because he lost his father to Type 2.

You're welcome to add me - my diary is open. My starting weight was 192 and I'm around 122 now (I've put the scale in time-out until March 1).
  • 7aneena
    Options
    @erinseattle I had it measured 3 times over the past 3 years by a trainer using a caliper method that uses 20 points or areas of the body. I realize it seems like a lot but I think the heavier a person gets the more muscle they put on to compensate for the weight and carry the load. I was 220 lbs at my heaviest and for whatever reason I don't seem to lose that much muscle - lucky me
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    You've received some amazing advice above^^^^^!!

I just wanted to wish you the best, and lat you know that I routing for you too!!
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,958 Member
    Options
    How did you determine your lean body mass? I've been lifting weights for 10 years and at 5'2" my high was 93 lbs of LBM and that includes 4 lbs of bone. I've been analyzed by two different methods several times over the last 4 years, so I'm confident about my numbers. Visually, I have quite a lot of definition. I say all this just because I'm concerned that at 5'0", 115 lbs of LBM is a LOT, unless you have been bodybuilding. Check out this method of determining your protein needs:

http://docmuscles.com/2015/11/15/take-just-a-moment-and-admire-then-calculate-your-ideal-body-weight/

It's really easy for me to overeat protein, so I do track and use a scale. I'm fascinated by Dr. Nally and you can find a lot of information on his website, particularly about IR and diabetes - he became a doctor because he lost his father to Type 2.

You're welcome to add me - my diary is open. My starting weight was 192 and I'm around 122 now (I've put the scale in time-out until March 1).

He and Jimmy Moore have a keto exclusive podcast at ketotalk.com. They answer frequently asked questions about ketogenic diets. Very informative.
  • wesheets
    wesheets Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    This is an interesting discussion. I have PCOS TOO. When I was eating strict 20g carbs I lost nothing-no pounds, no inches. I was at 1300 cals too. I'm not sure if the cals were too strict or the protein was too high, both or neither, I simply did not want to keep trying to work it. The fat intake philosophy is simply bizarre and upping that when protein is low and carbs is low is not eating it's trickery. That's my opinion. In other words I'm not going to eat a stick of butter or drown everything in coconut oil (bleh) just to up fat. Mind you I was eating an avocado a day! I'm not saying it can't work for others but after 7 weeks of nothing I don't think continuing on-for me-was going to produce loss or change. Frustrating. And of course when you share something like that all sorts of judge mental comments come
    Out:were you honest, were you measuring correctly, were you missing something.....which implies that you've not been trying or SURELY you'd have lost something by now. I think if a diet or eating METHOD does not work for you then it doesn't. Case I point: I added back in carbs, ate 1900 calories, and lost 7 lbs overnight.