Week #4 - February 22nd - Finish February Strong!

lizadaze
lizadaze Posts: 118 Member
edited February 2016 in Social Groups
Hey lean on me gang!

How was your weekend?

Mine was a bit up and down but overall a success with my goals. Decent eating (not perfect as I succumbed to some cookies).

Went to my very first yoga class EVER on Saturday morning and LOVED it! Heading to the gym soon for an hour on the elliptical.

So what are you goals for this last week of the month?

For me, pretty simple. Being vigilant about my diet plans and getting in at least 100 grams of protein each day. And at least four gym visits. A new goal is to try and manage stress better at work by taking walking breaks during the day.

Replies

• Sillybee727
    Sillybee727 Posts: 131 Member
    My week unraveled when my cold came roaring back. I can't stop coughing and have gotten zero exercise since Wed, so I feel like crap. I hope you all fared better. Once I get over this cough I plan to not let this week derail me and to get back on plan. Thinking about going to 1.5 lbs a week instead of 2 to make it a little easier.

Congrats on your first yoga experience @lizadaze I love yoga and always feel better when I practice regularly.
  • jwilson507
    jwilson507 Posts: 15 Member
    I am going to hit the weights this week for sure. I've been Jazzercising on and off and I just haven't been consistent in going. When I get home from school I just feel like dropping. This week my plan is to get a workout in at the school gym before I come home. Then if I feel decent I'll Jazzercise too. If you check my diary you'll know my eating was a little crazy. I was sick two days and then caught my eating back up on Saturday. My jeans don't hurt as much when I sit down so I know I'm making baby steps! I have also been hit with extra stress lately and have found a book to help me cope somewhat. It's by Sarah young and called Jesus Calling. I hope it helps somebody out there that needs a little comfort. I was having insomnia also. I thought it was just due to getting older but after reading your posts it is most likely stress related. It's great that we have this group to lean on. Good luck this week. I plan on being a big loser!
  • martinezkrauss
    martinezkrauss Posts: 20 Member
    Hi you guys! Sorry to hear about the stress and health issues!! Hopefully things will get better this coming week.

I am so bored of watching tv so I have stacked a bunch of puzzle boxes on top of each other on top of my dinning-room table to rest my book while I do a combo of walking in place and light aerobics. Finishing a 700 pg book right now that I started on Wed. Everyday this week I did at least two hours of walking min. - some days five hrs. In addition three times this week I also did my weight workouts of 19 exercise, 15 reps each with dumbbells. I feel very strong. My back feels sooo good. As I walk I am now constantly doing a movement with my arms of pushing them out and pulling them back in while also tightening my stomach so my belly feels like I have done bunches of sit-ups.

With this new found focus, I adjusted my goal weight down from 170 to 158. I no longer think it is overly ambitious.

Today I'm down 2 lbs = 225. I am eating between 1800 to 2400 calories of real food - no junk at all - lots of black beans - and banking calories daily toward my fat. I am sleepy and have a difficult time relaxing even with the meditation and sleeping less than six hrs a night, but soon my body will adjust. I am feeling proud about my appearance for the first time in a LONG time so very motivated to keep this up. This week - I commitment to 4 hrs. min of walk/aerobics and four workouts with the weights. I am drinking lots of water and much less coffee and commit to continuing that as well. Friends - good luck this week!
  • lizadaze
    @Sillybee727 I can't believe how much one yoga session has done for me already. I know I was awkward and self conscious, but I stayed right in there the whole time and did all the positions. I can't believe how much I sweated and it was a real workout while also being incredibly therapeutic for me: mind, body, and spirit. I am so turned on by it I have to do more!!

@jwilson507 thanks for the book recommendation. I need all the help I can get in the life stress department. I am excited about the changes going on in many parts of my life, but I am involved in a growing, ugly legal battle at work so it is intense some days. I am so grateful for committing to focusing on my own health and for all the support I am getting from family and friends. I am exhausted by the emotional toll this kind of thing takes, but I know, too, that I will be stronger for it in the end if I push myself to do the right thing. Sometimes doing the right thing, is the very hardest path to take.

@martinezkrauss you are doing so great and challenging yourself more and more each week. I see the growth and strength you are making through your posts and results are your reward! Not to mention the increased confidence and general explosion of well being that happens when we eat better and move more. You help me keep going and stepping up my game, too. I'm a girl from the 1980s so I think I'm going to add a Journey song to my workout mix, "Don't Stop Believing"! That can be our mantra for the week!
  • lizadaze
    Bringing our UK friend into our same thread for the week.
    curlymop3 wrote: »
    Hopped on scales first thing over here in UK, fearing not good news after school holidays - didn't go wild, but didn't stick rigidly to logging everything either:

Scales say gained 0.5lb over last fortnight, but tape measure says 2cm off waist, 1cm off hips.

After school holiday last week, goals are
    to get back on track with logging everyday and
    planned exercise.
    write weekly meal plan today (so if everyone else is having pie, I have an alternative in store, etc)
  • lizadaze
    @curlymop3 I think you did pretty darn good even with a school vacation week. Your plans for the new week will help you get back on track. I'm going to check out your diary so log some food this week. It is fun seeing food items from other countries. I have a friend in India and another one in New Zealand and I like seeing the differences in diets in other countries.
  • Mjtckwnow
    Mjtckwnow Posts: 528 Member
    I got in my workouts last week but my eating was all over the place. And the scale reflects it...I gained this past week. Buckling back down and getting my calories in control this week!

Exercise wise I plan to complete week 3 of PiYo this week and get in 4-5 runs (hopefully 3 outside).

Looking ahead to next month: My husband & I made a plan to give up drinking from March 1st-19th ( have a party on the 20th) so that should be a big help cutting out the late night snacking.

Have a great week everyone!
  • curlymop3
    curlymop3 Posts: 28 Member
    Thank you @lizadaze - my mistake, posting in the wrong place. :-)
  • curlymop3
    @lizadaze thank you for the encouragement too.
    Let me know if any food items need translating, LOL.

(I know my recipe books sometimes really confuse me with different names for things over here. zuchinni? You mean a courgette! Graham cracker? I think that is a digestive biscuit. Call that a biscuit? No that is a scone. Etc Etc)

I hadn't thought at looking at others food diaries maybe for inspiration. Good idea.

What do you all tend to eat for breakfast? In the UK we eat a lot of cereal, but so many varieties are packed with sugar which isn't great. Egg is OK for keeping you full longer, (especially with a bit of grilled bacon) but I wouldn't want to eat that more than 2 or 3 times a week, because of the cholesterol.
  • lsabeIIe
    lsabeIIe Posts: 566 Member
    Feb 1: 150
    Feb 8: 148
    Feb 15: 148.2
    Feb 22: 148.4

Looks like I won't reach my goal for this month. Dealing with some medical issues and I pulled a muscle in my back. :( I find it's hard to be "in the dark" with something that concern my health. I have an appointment on friday for tests and I hope I will know more after. Meanwhile, I will try to focus on calorie intake.

Always a pleasure to read you guys! ;) Thanks for checking in !

• kesslemg
    kesslemg Posts: 47 Member
    Last week was a good week for me. I remained active and ate fairly well. As a result I was down 1.8 lbs for a total of 9.8 lbs!! I'm hoping to continue in the right direction this week. My goal this week is going to be staying on track with my journal entries and exercise. This will be a struggle for me since I started my new job today. It's a big change but I'm hoping that maybe working will control my afternoon snacking. However I won't be able to be moving around as much since it's a desk job. I'm going to try and make an effort to get up and move around every hour or so.
    What do you all tend to eat for breakfast? In the UK we eat a lot of cereal, but so many varieties are packed with sugar which isn't great. Egg is OK for keeping you full longer, (especially with a bit of grilled bacon) but I wouldn't want to eat that more than 2 or 3 times a week, because of the cholesterol.

@curlymop3 I eat a banana and protein shake for my "first breakfast" which is right after my early morning workout. then 3 hours later I do tend to eat eggs in some form. My favorite it a poached egg on an english muffin.

• tyboskates
    tyboskates Posts: 23 Member
    My week had it ups and downs but overall pretty good. I finally got 6 workouts in this past week at the gym and it felt GREAT (after not really working out since Oct.)! I do both cardio and weights when I go so I feel like I am on the right path. Now if the eating was on the right path I would be good but that is a work in progress. I have been struggling to lose even a pound since November and feel like this weight just loves me and doesn't want to leave my body! I struggle with weight since being diagnosed with Hypothyroidism (underactive thyroid) back in 2005. It is a struggle every day but I am still trying.

My goal this week is to continue my workouts daily and take "walking" breaks at work since I sit at a desk all day long. Today I was at the gym by 4:45am and took a 15 minute waling break at work.

• tyboskates
    @martinezkrauss, you gave me a good laugh when I was reading your post. I was reading how you were bored with TV and started stacking a bunch of puzzle boxes on your dining room table and in my head I thought you were going to say that you started to do puzzles. I had that image in my head and not an image of you using it for a book holder. That just made me giggle so thank you for that. :)

Great job on the positive changes and feeling good about yourself. Keep up the good work.
  • tyboskates
    @Sillybee727, I hope you feel better soon. That cold went through my house starting the beginning of this month and my daughter still has it. Get healthy first and than you can workout, your body needs rest!
  • tyboskates
    edited February 2016
    @curlymop3, I usually do Greek yogurt with fresh blueberries and some granola or some scrambled eggs with fresh spinach. Here in the US cereal is also a popular breakfast food and is also loaded with sugars and artificial colors. I tend to stay away from cereal as it is like eating a doughnut but in cereal form, LOL
  • martinezkrauss
    martinezkrauss Posts: 20 Member
    Tyboskates - oh, that is funny!! Can you imagine how long it would take to find even one piece to place - that would be so awesome to achieve! I wish I could do puzzle while "walking"!
  • Mjtckwnow

I make a green smoothie everyday for breakfast + a cup of hot tea...quick, delicious and keeps me full until lunch.
  • curlymop3
    @highlandshoppa - had never even heard of a green smoothie - have google it and might give it a go, relieved to see it doesn't have to have yoghurt in it. Thanks for the tip!

@tyboskates I wish I liked yoghurt, it would add so many breakfast and dessert options... Yoghurt (and porridge) are my only intense dislikes. Glad for you that you like it though!
  • curlymop3
    Am having such a good start to week here, motivation sky-high so wanted to encourage you all - I've got enthusiasm in bags full, enough for everyone to have a share! Probably endorphins kicking in as just got finished a long bike ride on the tandem, picnic (brrr!) by the sea with hubby.

I'm sure reading everyone's ups and downs will help us all keep on keeping on, thanks again for @lizadaze for her initiative in starting the group. Found it at just the right moment in time.
  • Mjtckwnow
    edited February 2016
This discussion has been closed.