Mayo Vs. Miracle Whip

Options

Replies

• inspirationstation
    inspirationstation Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    My favorite combo is mayo mixed with sriacha. I have never been a fan of MW, though.
  • RedSavvy10
    RedSavvy10 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I definitely prefer mayo. Miracle whip does not get along with my tastebuds :s
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    baconslave wrote: »
    One day I WILL make my own mayo. Duke's is still ok with me though. I don't eat that much mayo even though I love it. But I can't eat salad dressings anymore like Ranch. I can taste the frankenfoodiness in it! NASTY! So I'm making my own next time. My kids love the store Ranch. Blurgh. :confounded:

If you have a Whole Foods or similar style around, there are some good brands of ranch that are made with more real foods. There's one that even needs chilled even before it's opened. :) I can't remember the brand off hand, though.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I prefer MW. But switched to Mayo because of the lower carbs. I usually add a little bit of mustard to give it some zing.

Editing to add: You can also put in a little bit of pickle juice to add some zing.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,958 Member
    Options
    Dragonwolf wrote: »
    One day I WILL make my own mayo. Duke's is still ok with me though. I don't eat that much mayo even though I love it. But I can't eat salad dressings anymore like Ranch. I can taste the frankenfoodiness in it! NASTY! So I'm making my own next time. My kids love the store Ranch. Blurgh. :confounded:

If you have a Whole Foods or similar style around, there are some good brands of ranch that are made with more real foods. There's one that even needs chilled even before it's opened. :) I can't remember the brand off hand, though.

We have an Earthfare the next town over. Perhaps I'll check it out next time we are near there.
  • baconslave
    Options
    deksgrl wrote: »
    I prefer MW. But switched to Mayo because of the lower carbs. I usually add a little bit of mustard to give it some zing.

Editing to add: You can also put in a little bit of pickle juice to add some zing.

I do that all the time. Yummy.
  • DietPrada
    DietPrada Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    Mayo, 4 ingredients. Miracle Whip ... no idea, but I'm sure we have something similar here. One tablespoon goes pretty far in egg salad, I'll take the extra calories.
  • coryh00
    coryh00 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I like the taste of both, but the brand of Mayo can make a huge difference in taste. As a side note, mixing either with a little vinegar makes a yummy tangy "sauce" for veggies and my kids like it on mashed potatoes when they get to have them.
  • lowjax75
    lowjax75 Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    I love Mayo and not a fan of Miracle Whip at all. Give me all the yummy fat calories. :smile: The fat calories make me lose weight!!
  • DietPrada
    DietPrada Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    coryh00 wrote: »
    I like the taste of both, but the brand of Mayo can make a huge difference in taste. As a side note, mixing either with a little vinegar makes a yummy tangy "sauce" for veggies and my kids like it on mashed potatoes when they get to have them.

Yeah the brand of Mayo is important, so is reading the labels. There are quite a few brands of mayo out there that aren't great, full of sugar and other crap.
  • Panda_Poptarts
    Panda_Poptarts Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    Miracle Whip is disgusting. Just saying ;-)
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Mayo, 4 ingredients. Miracle Whip ... no idea, but I'm sure we have something similar here. One tablespoon goes pretty far in egg salad, I'll take the extra calories.

@EbonyDahlia Woolies and Coles has miracle whip, it's always way down on the bottom shelf. I've never tried it because I always assumed it was fake mayo and I've never read the label, but am curious after reading this thread...

The best tasting mayo I've found here is Hellmans
  • kimberwolf71
    kimberwolf71 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    deksgrl wrote: »

I'll have to try the pickle juice idea one day. I wish I liked mayo for the real food factor but my taste buds are all over the mw!
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    Miracle Whip is disgusting. Just saying ;-)

Oh no she didn't! ;)
  • fludderbye
    fludderbye Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    LOL this is kind of funny

I was a die hard miracle whip person- still kind of am-
    but then i got DUKES to try-

Oh My- i never knew i could like anything better then MW-

DUKES is Sooooooo gooood

I smear it on everything-
    - HB eggs, pickles & Dukes
    - salad & dukes
    - grilled chicken & Dukes
  • daylitemag
    daylitemag Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Ingredients in MW:

Current primary ingredients are water, soybean oil, vinegar, high fructose corn syrup, sugar, modified corn starch, and dried eggs. The HFCS and corn starch are made from non genetically modified maize.[7] Ingredients making up less than 2% of product include salt, mustard flour, paprika, spice, natural flavor, potassium sorbate, enzyme modified egg yolk, and dried garlic.

Taken from Wikipedia
  • baconslave
    Options
    fludderbye wrote: »
    LOL this is kind of funny

I was a die hard miracle whip person- still kind of am-
    but then i got DUKES to try-

Oh My- i never knew i could like anything better then MW-

DUKES is Sooooooo gooood

I smear it on everything-
    - HB eggs, pickles & Dukes
    - salad & dukes
    - grilled chicken & Dukes

Duke's.......drooooooool.
    My favorite in the world. NOM! DH got me the massive bulk size of Duke's for Christmas. It's long gone of course, but ahhhhhh. I have to keep myself from just eating a spoonful.
  • fludderbye
    fludderbye Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I am glad to know i am not the only one who could eat it by the spoon full

the rest of the family has been converted as well
  • makomike
    makomike Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of mayo everyday since it's an easy source of fat and goes great with bacon. I'm not a calorie counter, but a macro watcher, so the 200 calories doesn't scare me.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options

I use Duke's, and I've used the Hidden Valley packets to make dip with sour cream, but I have NEVER liked ranch dressing for a salad. NEVER. Might eventually try it though.

As far as mayo, it used to make me sicker than a dog. No idea why. I grew up with Miracle Whip my whole life. When I first switched to Mayo, I used to add a teensy bit of sweetener to it to get the same flavor (I think the paprika with the sweetener is the ZING.

I then ran across a recipe for Sriracha mayo. Dabbled in the mix of mayo and mustard....occasionally doing the add of the tiniest bit of ketchup to 4-10X the amount of mayo, and I've loved that on occasion. Pickle juice works too... I think taste buds evolve.

My favorite "make your own" mayo recipe is this one: http://thehealthyfoodie.com/fail-proof-home-made-paleo-mayo-whole30-compliant/

SUPER easy. I don't even have a stick blender (but most of y'all BPC fans likely do...LOL... I just use the whisk attachment on my hand mixer. I had one batch that flopped - and the recipe has instructions to make your own ranch out of it... and one fabulously luxurious batch that worked. Will be making my own again soon!