How Many Carbs?

Options

Replies

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Wow, you guys are really low carb.

I think I'm doing good when I'm below 50 carbs a day. I'm only losing a half pound a week so maybe I should look at reducing my carbs more. I don't pay attention to calories because some days I'm really low and some days I'm over what the calorie counters believe I should eat to lose weight.

I'm following the Always Hungry diet and I have never felt better in my life. All the aches and pains I had in my hands and ankles went away. I'm well over 50 and have RA in my hands and ankles. Well, I use to any way. There were times my hands hurt so bad that I could not reach for my drink. I wish I had discovered LCHF dieting long ago. Like before I signed up for weight watchers and quit after 6 months because I was so hungry.

It seems pretty low carbs around here lately.... Maybe more carbs in the summer was the norm? Last summer we even had one member who consistently ate 200+g of carbs per day but he was so active, and eating his carbs around his extremely long bike rides, that he was making ketones. Carb levels that work for one may not work for another. Everyone around here is very accepting of that. :)

I have some autoimmune arthritis that has cleared up too. :). I had a minor flare up when I first went low carb, and I have had a hint of inflammation when I let my carbs creep up, but overall I have found a LCHF diet to be a miracle cure. :). I hope you have continued success!
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    I had aching in my joints over the past year that cleared up when I started keto. I'm not even sure what caused it; I do have MS but was wondering if I was developing arthritis. I was thrilled to see it go though!
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    wabmester wrote: »
    RalfLott wrote: »
    Aha! Interesting tip..... Any idea why carbs > 30g leads to hungry and snacky?

The more insulin resistant you are, the more you'll need to restrict carbs.

Ok, I've got one for you - can you reliably estimate insulin resistance with glucose measurements alone, or do you also need to measure insulin levels?

Thanks again.

• wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Ever had a lipid panel? High triglycerides and low HDL seem to be a pretty good marker for insulin resistance.
  • RalfLott
    Options
    Yes.

But don't triglycerides tend to bounce around quite a bit? (And I take lipid meds....).

I suppose the best method is to test each food carefully with a glucose meter and lay off anything that produces too sharp of a spike....
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    I think if you ever experience the feeling of low blood sugar, the shaky, gotta eat right now or I'm gonna die feeling, it's a pretty safe assumption there's some insulin resistance going on.
    My thinking is that unless your pancreas gave you too much insulin, you wouldn't have the low blood sugar. If your pancreas tends to give you too much insulin, it makes sense that it's related to a need for extra insulin, because of the resistance.
    My sister has fought with low blood sugar for many years. I remember telling her that she probably has high blood sugar in between the lows because I know how she ate and I just kept thinking that it makes absolutely no sense that eats the amount of sugar and bread and frackers that she does and has low blood sugar. I recall her getting defensive about it. Practically barking at me, "I don't have high blood sugar. I have low blood sugar. I need to eat more stuff like this!"
    Fast forward and she's T2D and 100+ pounds heavier and still won't listen to me. :/
  • kimmydear
    kimmydear Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I like my carbs to come in around 28-35 a day. I am a rebel and cannot just stick with an even 30. :)
  • RalfLott
    Options
    I think if you ever experience the feeling of low blood sugar, the shaky, gotta eat right now or I'm gonna die feeling, it's a pretty safe assumption there's some insulin resistance going on.
    My thinking is that unless your pancreas gave you too much insulin, you wouldn't have the low blood sugar. If your pancreas tends to give you too much insulin, it makes sense that it's related to a need for extra insulin, because of the resistance.
    My sister has fought with low blood sugar for many years. I remember telling her that she probably has high blood sugar in between the lows because I know how she ate and I just kept thinking that it makes absolutely no sense that eats the amount of sugar and bread and frackers that she does and has low blood sugar. I recall her getting defensive about it. Practically barking at me, "I don't have high blood sugar. I have low blood sugar. I need to eat more stuff like this!"
    Fast forward and she's T2D and 100+ pounds heavier and still won't listen to me. :/

Oy, vay.

I can't recall ever feeling that I was experiencing a high or low , whether it was blood pressure, glucose, or lipids.

It just is what it is.... but what it is is better than what it isn't, which is what it was.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options

Oy, vay.

I can't recall ever feeling that I was experiencing a high or low , whether it was blood pressure, glucose, or lipids.

It just is what it is.... but what it is is better than what it isn't, which is what it was.

Ok Dr Suess!
    I'm not sure what you're talking about. For realz. Lol
  • Jan93L
    Jan93L Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I haven't done the really low carb thing yet. Mostly in the 50-75 g range. Have lost 15 lbs in the last month , Since mid January. Dr. was impressed today. T2 D . Have been watching the sodium and when I feel low blood sugar am having pickle and ham or a cheese stick instead of something higher carb. That plus more water. It seems to be working well. I'm so thankful for all the insights and info from this group.
  • sault_girl
    sault_girl Posts: 219 Member
    Options

Yes to this. And sadly, people will not believe you when you tell them it's about blood sugar highs and lows... My coworker has asked me, "I never see you snacking on anything, how do you make it to lunch or through the afternoon?" she always has her "healthy snacks" at her desk (a fruit smoothie, a bag of grapes, a package of crackers, yogurt and berries).

The improvement in blood sugar high & lows is the biggest thing eating low carb has fixed for me. I used to have to eat every 2.5-3hours OR I WAS GOING TO DIE. Now I can go however long I need to... usually it's about 8-10 hours between my lunch and dinner most days and that's no problem.

Actual, real hunger should come on slowly, and build gradually. It is not an emergency!
  • sault_girl
    sault_girl Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Jan93L wrote: »
    I haven't done the really low carb thing yet. Mostly in the 50-75 g range. Have lost 15 lbs in the last month , Since mid January. Dr. was impressed today. T2 D . Have been watching the sodium and when I feel low blood sugar am having pickle and ham or a cheese stick instead of something higher carb. That plus more water. It seems to be working well. I'm so thankful for all the insights and info from this group.

15 pounds since January is fantastic! Sounds like you are doing it right!
  • RalfLott
    Options

Oy, vay.

Ok Dr Suess!

Haha (I think...). Just saying I have never experienced any physical feeling associated with BG, BP or lipids, but they're all better than they were since I started low-carbing!

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    wabmester wrote: »
    Aha! Interesting tip..... Any idea why carbs > 30g leads to hungry and snacky?

The more insulin resistant you are, the more you'll need to restrict carbs.

Ok, I've got one for you - can you reliably estimate insulin resistance with glucose measurements alone, or do you also need to measure insulin levels?

Thanks again.

My measures are a bit odd. Before going LCHF 8 months ago, my A1C and fasting BG are (or were) prediabetic. My insulin was at the high end of normal or just out of that range (can't remember) yet my triglycerides were low normal to low and my HDL was a low normal; LDL was fine. My Lp (a) was high though... Bah. I should know in a few weeks if things are better now.
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    Hm interesting about HDL and tri's. My tri's were 217 when I was Dx'ed with prediabetes but once I got my blood sugar back in the normal range, my triglycerides were down to 52. My HDL has always been around 60 or so. I've definitely had symptoms of hypoglycemia beyond then though; not since starting keto but occasionally before that.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options

Oy, vay.

Ok Dr Suess!

Haha (I think...). Just saying I have never experienced any physical feeling associated with BG, BP or lipids, but they're all better than they were since I started low-carbing!

I see.
    Maybe your swings weren't real dramatic. I'm assuming you have a diagnosis then? I think many people don't even get their diagnosis until things get that noticeable.
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    It should be noted that I don't know my actual numbers as of recently. I am also a special snowflake and don't expect most people to eat nearly as much as I do. I only got to this level of consumption after several years of low carb and metabolic healing. And, my calories went up as my fat percentage went down, as I had less fat being carried around to feed my needs. The levels here are about 600-700 calories higher than I was eating at my heaviest.

The last time I changed my macros they ended up at:
    • 0g carbs
    • 208g fat
    • 156g protein

That works out for 2500 calories a day, which would be around a half-pound a week loss. I typically eat 2700-2800 calories a day and maintain my weight.
  • RalfLott
    Options

Oy, vay.

Ok Dr Suess!

I see.
    Maybe your swings weren't real dramatic. I'm assuming you have a diagnosis then? I think many people don't even get their diagnosis until things get that noticeable.

I was diagnosed about 15 years ago, and my swings were quite dramatic at the time. In the meantime my lows don't get below 80 or my highs above around 180.

I have never been on any medications that tend toward hypoglycemia. I don't seem to be able to shake the metformin habit. I suspect even if I ate a carb-negative diet (whatever that is) I would still be hooked!
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options

Oy, vay.

Ok Dr Suess!

I see.

I was diagnosed about 15 years ago, and my swings were quite dramatic at the time. In the meantime my lows don't get below 80 or my highs above around 180.

I have never been on any medications that tend toward hypoglycemia. I don't seem to be able to shake the metformin habit. I suspect even if I ate a carb-negative diet (whatever that is) I would still be hooked!

How long have you been low carb?
    I think getting the major swings under control says a lot about the progress you've made. Maybe metformin' days will be numbered. Just have to wait and see. :smile:
  • DorkothyParker
    DorkothyParker Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    sault_girl wrote: »

Yes to this. And sadly, people will not believe you when you tell them it's about blood sugar highs and lows... My coworker has asked me, "I never see you snacking on anything, how do you make it to lunch or through the afternoon?" she always has her "healthy snacks" at her desk (a fruit smoothie, a bag of grapes, a package of crackers, yogurt and berries).

The improvement in blood sugar high & lows is the biggest thing eating low carb has fixed for me. I used to have to eat every 2.5-3hours OR I WAS GOING TO DIE. Now I can go however long I need to... usually it's about 8-10 hours between my lunch and dinner most days and that's no problem.

Hmmm, I used to see spots after exercise and get bad headaches if I didn't eat after working out. I thought it was the drop in blood sugar. My triglyceride levels measured low at old WOE (<45 but the test couldn't measure below that so not sure how low) so I think that means I don't have IR issues. Right?
    Anyway, wondering if it was the lack of sodium causing the problem. Thinking here...