Quiver in Fear Below Your New Over-Lord!

Options
FIT_Goat
FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
edited February 2016 in Social Groups
:lol:

Just kidding. I don't know if anyone would notice, but our long-term member @Sabine_Stroehm has been made a group leader. We feel like she's going to be a good example of our commitment to welcoming those at all carb-levels. She eats "Slow-Carb" and eats a lot more carbs than I would eat.

I welcome her to post an introduction here. That's if she wants. I didn't warn her that I was going to publicly out her on here. But, I am really posting this to let you know that those of you who aren't Very-Low-Carb ( < 30 grams ) have a representative here. You're welcome and you are valued members here. If you feel like I am coming across too strong or being obnoxious with saying carbs are evil, you have someone to go to who understands.

I know those of us who consume the least carbs are the most vocal, but we're not the only people here.

EDIT:
  • In complete fairness, this is NOT the only reason we brought her aboard. It is not even fair to her to make it seem that way. There were several reasons, including the fact that she's remained extremely civil and calm even when dealing with challenging people. She's consistently on here. She is an excellent resource for a more moderate approach that appeals to many. She is also a great voice out on the main forums, calmly and rationally helping people out.
Feel like this should be added. It came off as if we just added her because she wasn't keto. But, there are half a dozen reasons we feel like she's a valuable addition to the Leaders here.

Replies

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Excellent! Welcome Over-Lord! ;):)
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Yay! A low-crap diet proponent!

I expect the very-low-carb vibe will continue, though. It's the loudest voice here because it's the least conventional and possibly because it also requires the most support. Nothing to do with the mods, IMO.
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    wabmester wrote: »
    Yay! A low-crap diet proponent!

I expect the very-low-carb vibe will continue, though. It's the loudest voice here because it's the least conventional and possibly because it also requires the most support. Nothing to do with the mods, IMO.

I don't think it's a "mod thing" because we make it a point to not mix our personal diets/opinions with our duties. But, I have seen a few posts lately about people feeling unwelcome here because of some of the advice that I would classify as "keto" advice more than general low-carb. I don't know that we can change the tone, but it will be good to bring balance to the moderation team.
    • In complete fairness, this is NOT the only reason we brought her aboard. It is not even fair to her to make it seem that way. There were several reasons, including the fact that she's remained extremely civil and calm even when dealing with challenging people. She's consistently on here. She is an excellent resource for a more moderate approach that appeals to many. She is also a great voice out on the main forums, calmly and rationally helping people out.
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    Welcome, Over-Lord! :) I'd love an intro if you want to share more about yourself for those of us who are newer and don't know you as well. I'm intrigued to know more about slow carb, too.
  • wabmester
    Options
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options

Ohhh yes, I was directed to that thread not long ago when I asked about maintenance. One of the all-time best threads on MFP!
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your new overlord title oh great and powerful one!
  • camtosh
    camtosh Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    Good news for us middlin' carbers... congratulations, Sabine! and many thanks for all your help over the years.
  • erinseattle
    erinseattle Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Congrats! Love that maintenance thread! I do follow Keto macros, but it's after 18 months of figuring out what feels right. When my trainer introduced me to low carb, if she'd asked that I shoot for 20g of carbs/day, I would not have ever started! I don't think there is one right way to eat, so I'm really glad all perspectives are welcome here!
  • SamandaIndia
    SamandaIndia Posts: 1,577 Member
    Options
    Congrats @Sabine_Stroehm looking forward to hearing more from you
  • Ringbearer2
    Ringbearer2 Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    Yay Sabine! I follow that approach as well, although I love hearing other approaches to carb intake.

• KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    Yay for Sabine! You, dear over-Lord have been a super supportive member of this woe! Well done!

• KetoGirl83
    KetoGirl83 Posts: 546 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    A very kind and supportive overlord! Well deserved, Sabine!

::flowerforyou::
  • inspirationstation
    inspirationstation Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Welcome to your new role!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    How fun! I was not expecting a big "outing". Thanks Goat.

For those who don't know me, I'll do an intro. Here's the TL/DR: I eat slow carb/low crap. And I'm a big Michael Pollan fan.

I decided to learn how to eat about 14+ years ago, as the scale kept going up and I knew NOTHING about nutrition or cooking. Fast food and junk food was all I knew.
    Early on I heard an NPR interview this a doctor who was talking about "good carbs" and the glycemic index and glycemic load, and for me it just made sense, so I learned everything I could about good carbs and started eating that way. About 6 months later the south beach diet book came out and I figured out that the Dr. I'd listened to was Dr. Agatston of the south beach diet. So I started his phase 3. :smile:

I've been eating roughly that way ever since (though I do eat potatoes from time to time). I strictly limit heavily refined carbs, and focus on high fiber nutrient dense ones, primarily vegetables. When I do log, I tend to be around 75 gross, and usually around 40 or so net. If I'm logging, I'm going with net, for sure.

I've been in maintenance for about 14 years now. But MAN is menopause hard (regardless of what's said on the main boards). After all these years eating the same way, ever time I blink the scale goes up. I truly do believe it is or causes insulin resistance. So now I'm playing around a bit with my carb levels to see if I can keep it back to the lower end of my happy range. And when the scale does go up, I go on South Beach Phase 1. It STILL makes sense to me. I moderate the SB board, but only two of us post there. ha.

On other fronts, I'm a professor in a large university, married to my best friend (no kids, two dogs). He's mostly vegetarian (was raised that way), and we cooks a lot a home. I run 3x a week, Yoga 2-3x a week, Pilates 2x a week, and walk or ride my bike to work every day.

5'6", 135, 50 years old.

Thanks again for the warm welcome! I try to guide folks here when I can, and try to be supportive of folks looking for a different way! cheers!
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,802 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your new role! :)
  • wabmester
    Options
    When I do log, I tend to be around 75 gross, and usually around 40 or so net. If I'm logging, I'm going with net, for sure.

Interesting. So you're pretty much very-low-carb without really targeting it. I'm curious if you've ever tried to measure your ketone levels. Did you track your health markers along the way?

14 years of maintenance is great. I hope I can say that one day. :)
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    Welcome, Madam Overlord!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    When I do log, I tend to be around 75 gross, and usually around 40 or so net. If I'm logging, I'm going with net, for sure.

Interesting. So you're pretty much very-low-carb without really targeting it. I'm curious if you've ever tried to measure your ketone levels. Did you track your health markers along the way?

14 years of maintenance is great. I hope I can say that one day. :)

Never once measured them, no. And never actually counted carbs until I started reading this group. I didn't consider what I was doing a "low carb" diet. Nor did I count calories when losing. I just changed how I ate and the weight came off. I *have* lowered my carbs a bit since menopause. Before that I was eating a bit higher in carbs probably.
    These days I eat lots of vegetables and protein and good fats, basically. And a low carb tortilla, or really healthy bread when I want bread.

I didn't track health markers either. ha. But my numbers are all fabulous. REALLY fabulous. My doc loves my numbers.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,958 Member
    Options
    SABINE! YAY!
    penguin.gif