Chronic Pancreatitis and blood sugars

Options
Are there any other sufferers of chronic pancreatitis here? I've been having a flare up for the last two days.
Yesterday my FBS was 5.1, which is the lowest it's ever been first thing in the morning.
This morning, it's 7.3 which is the usual for me.

Does pancreatitis raise your blood sugar, or lower it, or does it really not affect it at all?
Thoughts?

Replies

• mrtastybutt
    mrtastybutt Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I don't know about chronic pancreatitis. I'm sorry. I've dealt with chronic systemic inflammation before though that has shot my BG through the roof and nothing could bring it down to normal until the inflammation was dealt with. That was through plaquenil. It took being on it for almost four weeks but then my BG plummeted.

So, I would consult with your doctor and see if it may be causing inflammation issues, perhaps? It seems that any stress on the body seems to cause my BG #'s to go up. YMMV though.
  • zcb94
    zcb94 Posts: 3,679 Member
    Options
    I don't know about chronic pancreatitis. I'm sorry. I've dealt with chronic systemic inflammation before though that has shot my BG through the roof and nothing could bring it down to normal until the inflammation was dealt with. That was through plaquenil. It took being on it for almost four weeks but then my BG plummeted.

So, I would consult with your doctor and see if it may be causing inflammation issues, perhaps? It seems that any stress on the body seems to cause my BG #'s to go up. YMMV though.
    This. I survived MRSA but was forbidden from drinking water without a HUGE dose of insulin before and after!
  • judyvalentine512
    judyvalentine512 Posts: 927 Member
    Options
    Well, pancreatitis is inflammation of the pancreas. Because of a surgical error, I'm left with half a pancreas, and the doctors told me that would be considered chronic pancreatitis. So, from time to time, it gets irritated. I am getting better at learning what foods to avoid so this doesn't happen. I'll have to look back a few days to figure it out.
  • judyvalentine512
    Options
    Wanna hear something strange? I am still in pain from the latest pancreatitis flare up. So, today I was considering either going to emergency (I've been told to do that if it gets too painful) or call the doctor. I was just about to lay down, when lo and behold, the doctor calls me. My lipases are extremely high on my last blood test, and that was before I started feeling like crap. So, clear fluids until I see them on Tuesday. Unless I get a fever or start vomiting.

Funny though eh? I was thinking of my doctor and they called me. ESP?
  • phxteach
    phxteach Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    @judyvalentine512 - that is called God having your back. Listen to Him. Feel better.
  • judyvalentine512
    Options
    phxteach wrote: »
    @judyvalentine512 - that is called God having your back. Listen to Him. Feel better.

:)
  • JaneKnoll1
    JaneKnoll1 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Best wishes Judy! I hope you feel better soon!!
  • judyvalentine512
    Options
    Thanks Jane. I'm doing better today.