Is it easier or harder to lose weight when you are over 50?

Options
Mccmack
Mccmack Posts: 195 Member
I had some fried chicken on a Sunday and on Monday, I had serious gas. I love hot food, but man do I pay a price the next day. When I was in my 30's, I would go out and eat a one pound prime rib most every week. I can't remember the last time I had prime rib, but I won't get a one pound portion anymore. Losing weight requires discipline at any age. But the benefits of eating good for 4 or 5 days in a row are much more tangible and appreciated now that I am older. I think it is easier now because now I can't ignore how it helps me. When I was younger I didnt pay so much attention.

Replies

• marekdds
    marekdds Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    With age, your metabolism slows, just biology. Doesn't mean it can't be done, just believe it is harder for me.
  • Mccmack
    Options
    I understand metabolism slows down, but eating at a deficit will lose you weight regardless of metabolism. I think that metabolism was harder to deal with when I was younger, now that I don't have one. Surprised to hear you say that after what you have accomplished.
  • luluinca
    luluinca Posts: 2,899 Member
    Options
    I haven't really found it to be more difficult to lose weight as an older person.....once I got off the couch and started tracking what I was actually eating the weight came off.

It's not too difficult to rev up your metabolism but you have to like exercise I think, and if not, then you're stuck eating less than you probably could when you were younger.

I think we just naturally become more sedentary as we age, kids are gone, our work hours slow down and we just don't stay as busy most of the time.

I used a back injury as an excuse for the six years it took me to gain 60 lbs. Once I got tired of being lazy I fixed my back and went to work on getting healthy and strong again. I think we have to want it.
  • marekdds
    Options
    Not liking exercise is my problem. Since I love to eat, that is not a good mix with age and a non-functioning thyroid. But those are all excuses, if you want to lose the weight, you will. I just meant it was more of a challenge for me. I spent decades over eating and never moving and got fat. What a shock! I know exercise is not optional for me, but I still hate it. It does however, beat being fat. We all have our issues, we chose to defeat them or let them defeat us.
  • luluinca
    Options
    I think my goal has changed now that I've lost the weight. I really just want to remain mobile, flexible and strong for as long as I can and that means exercise. I'm lucky that I enjoy it although I have to admit it can be difficult sometimes to keep it up. Injuries always threaten my positive attitude.

Since I've been going to therapy for my shoulder I see a lot of people there who I don't want to become. I'm not saying that to be mean, I just want more than that from my body. I'm enjoying the ability to remain active. Losing weight is only part of the equation.
  • marekdds
    Options
    I absolutely agree. My mom was in a scooter for 15 years before she died. I know she had physical problems, but I feel like she just succumbed to them. Most people 60 or better (and some younger) have arthritis and "snap, crackle, pop" with movement. I know I do, but I don't want to give in and make age an excuse. BTW you are amazing, Lulu.
  • luluinca
    Options
    marekdds wrote: »
    I absolutely agree. My mom was in a scooter for 15 years before she died. I know she had physical problems, but I feel like she just succumbed to them. Most people 60 or better (and some younger) have arthritis and "snap, crackle, pop" with movement. I know I do, but I don't want to give in and make age an excuse. BTW you are amazing, Lulu.

I'm really just stubborn Jen............:)

I agree completely though with not succumbing to injury or arthritis or even illness for that matter.

I wish I would have encouraged my parents to be more active......
  • JMarcella57
    JMarcella57 Posts: 1,902 Member
    Options
    Now that I'm older, it's easier to see the necessity of living a healthier lifestyle. I don't think it's been more difficult, it's been different. December 2014, I started this current journey with more knowledge and better motivation than when I was younger. With consistency and focus I've lost nearly 40 pounds and have just over 20 to go. With the healthier habits I also feel tremendously better! So, I guess I agree with Mccmack, it's easier because of wisdom and necessity. :)
  • UncleMac
    UncleMac Posts: 12,998 Member
    Options
    I suspect part of the problem about losing weight for those of us past fifty is the entrenched eating habits.

For example, I've been working at the same employer for 27 years and eating out for lunch each work day during that entire period. So when the dietitian said start bringing a lunch so you can control the contents & portion size, it took quite an effort for me to come to grips with doing so. I'm still not bringing a lunch daily but I do so two days per week... of which I only cook one. How? A coworker and I do a lunch exchange. On Mondays, she feeds me and on Wednesdays, I feed her. So far, it works great!!

I'm one of those pre-60 folks with arthritis that Jen mentioned. So I'm fighting the battle to restore and maintain range of motion, flexibility and strength. Those are quality of life issues. My weight is higher than I would like but that is less distressing to me than not being able to shoulder-check appropriately on my motorcycle because my neck was becoming impinged by arthritis.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    I'm not as hungry as I've aged.
  • UncleMac
    Options
    I'm not as hungry as I've aged.

How lucky are you?
  • patrickjd9
    patrickjd9 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Losing weight is much slower, but keeping good habits seems easier right now. Of course, technology is helping in the forms of MFP and Fitbit.
  • Mccmack
    Options
    patrickjd9 wrote: »
    Losing weight is much slower, but keeping good habits seems easier right now. Of course, technology is helping in the forms of MFP and Fitbit.

I agree, I think I can keep good habits now but could not do it when I was younger. I have a lot of friends on mfp who are young and trying hard, but some of them will probably not be posting in a few months because they have too much to deal with.
  • luluinca
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I was thinking about what some of you said about it being easier now to stay on track or keep good habits. I think that's true. In part though it's because most of us aren't buying groceries for children and teenagers any longer.

My fridge and pantry look completely different than they did when the kids were growing up. There are no more pizza parties post games or swim meets (I miss those days) or eating on the run.

I buy what I want us to eat now, it's not necessarily what we always want, but it's easier to resist temptation when it's not staring you in the face.....LOL
  • Montepulciano
    Montepulciano Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    I think technology helps me be aware and accountable.

And luluinca, completely agree with your comment about seeing what I don't want and that being a motivator. I no longer have the 'I am gonna live forever' mentality.

But at the end of the day it seems to me, it does boil down to how much you want it, irrespective of age.
  • chamblisk
    chamblisk Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Surprisingly, I'm thinking it is easier now too...for all the reasons mentioned; focusing on my needs not the kids, plugging into the technology available, being aware of the passage of time and realizing it will take effort to continue to be active into my "golden years". @UncleMac, the shoulder-check (in a car, not on a bike!) was my wake-up call. I suddenly realized how much range-of-motion I had lost and then started to notice how I no longer had the strength to lift my cast-iron pot, my knees gave out, my ankles ached, I walked slowly and practically had to drag myself up the stairs. I can remember some nights actually bear-walking up to the bedroom. I still smile as I "jog" up and down now. This time, the journey isn't all about weight....I really do want to live longer and stronger. It just so happens that the weight loss has been a very motivational by-product! With age comes wisdom, if we are lucky. @MostlyWater, wish I could say I'm not as hungry. THAT really would be lucky!
  • MSDave
    MSDave Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    For me, it's harder to stay focused as I get older. Also, it's harder to get motivated, and I never used to mind exercising in the cold, but that, too, has gone by the wayside.
  • nikkib0103
    nikkib0103 Posts: 968 Member
    Options
    I have always found it hard. But I think it can be done at any age. Just sometimes takes longer than you want it to.
  • UncleMac
    Options
    chamblisk wrote: »
    With age comes wisdom, if we are lucky.

I keep hoping but at this point I'm old enough to know better but too young to resist… lol
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    Being stubborn can help. Some people can't stand being told that they are going to fail. "Hey it's great that you lost all that weight. But umm, just so you know science says you're going to gain it all back within five years,". A co-worker told me this a little over five years ago. It pissed me off enough to keep going. I'm stubborn that way.