You know what I did today? You will have to read the post. :)

Options
motown13
motown13 Posts: 688 Member
I am saying that LCHF is the impetus for my even being able to post such a ( silly? ) message. There is just NO WAY I could have done this 6 weeks ago.

I have a really bad back problem. Severe pain. Almost crippling pain, but today I took a pain pill and went to the gym, which, in itself is almost a miracle.

I am 53 years old, 5' 5" tall, and between 260 - 265#s.... depending on how much the scale hates me on any given day. I also have an incredibly short inseam.... like 24". There are no pants in the world that I can wear right now unless I get them shortened and hemmed.

Now, you folks are way too nice to laugh at this, but I would be OK if you did.... in fact, I am laughing that I am even posting this... but at the same time I am almost AMAZED that I did this today.......

I jogged for 2.5 minutes. ( start laughing now )

They say the longest journey begins with the first step..... But seriously, this just blew my mind.... and if it wasn't for my back, and the pounding on my shins, I could have likely done 5 minutes. But I was afraid of making my back worse, or hurting my shins. 260 pounds is a lot of force hitting the ground...... I have goal of jogging 10 minutes by April 1st.

So, yeah, I am posting for a "Go Motown, go!" moment because I feel so proud of myself.

But I am also posting because if I can do this, you can too..... and the final part of the backstory is that I had a GIGANTIC heart attack and a 6 valve bypass in 2007. Plus, my diabetes keeps me in a constant state of feeling worn out, in my opinion.

Some of you may be worse off than I am.... but I still think you can do this! And I wish you all the willpower and health, and whatever other good things that should come your way from #LCHF!

You - we all - can do this!

Replies

• daylitemag
    daylitemag Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    What a great and inspirational post, @motown13 - I love it! I'm planning to up my own activity as the weather improves. I used to do a lot of walking and can't wait to start again (was up to 12km at a time). I also would like to take up Kayak/fishing this spring/summer and you story is spurring me on to have the confidence to do it.
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Way to go, Mo!

It will get easier and less painful as you gain strength and endurance. Take it slow!

FWIW, new shoes completely cured my shin splints. Maybe have a running store fit you for some good shoes if you plan to keep running.
  • motown13
    Options
    Yessir... I used to bike ride 100 miles a week 20 years ago. Would like to get back to that number.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    That is awesome @motown13!! I'm so happy to see your progress here, and I look forward to many more success reports!! :smiley:
  • moe0303
    moe0303 Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    Awesome @motown13! Way to win one for the short guys.
  • RobinK228
    RobinK228 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    That's fantastic! 2.5 minutes is better than no minutes! I attempted using an elliptical and lasted less than 2 minutes before I had to use my rescue inhaler (asthma). So I stick to walking on the treadmill and rowing. Maybe a Couch to 5k is in your future?
  • kimbo8435
    kimbo8435 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Woohoo Mo! I'm impressed by anyone who runs. You go!
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    That's wonderful! ! Way to go!
  • dietbepsi
    dietbepsi Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    That is really awesome. Congratulations to you!
  • LowCarbInScotland
    LowCarbInScotland Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    That's totally fab!!! I imagine what it feels like to go for a jog, but I'm just not ready to put that into practice yet... Though I'm feeling a little more inspired now!
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    This is a terrific non-scale victory (NSV)! I'm pleased and happy for you as well!
  • 7aneena
    7aneena Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Good job! 2.5 minutes is actually good. I remember I couldn't even do a minute the first time I tried :lol:
    There's an app that can help you train to increase your jogging intervals, It's called C25K I don't know f you heard of it but it is supposed to train you to do a 5k :smile:
  • motown13
    Options
    7aneena wrote: »
    Good job! 2.5 minutes is actually good. I remember I couldn't even do a minute the first time I tried :lol:
    There's an app that can help you train to increase your jogging intervals, It's called C25K I don't know f you heard of it but it is supposed to train you to do a 5k :smile:

Yes, my daughter has it and used to use it. A more fun one is called Zombies Run! ( I think ) You get chased by zombies, and you have to run until you "lose them", but they find you again, so you have to run again. There is a moderator yelling at you that the zombies are closing in, and not to let them catch you.
  • krazyforyou
    krazyforyou Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    Very inspiring
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    wabmester wrote: »
    Way to go, Mo!

It will get easier and less painful as you gain strength and endurance. Take it slow!

FWIW, new shoes completely cured my shin splints. Maybe have a running store fit you for some good shoes if you plan to keep running.

Very much this!

Also, keep an eye on your form. Poor form will leave you prone to injury probably even moreso than your weight. Running shouldn't be painful from the impact and if it is, you should probably tweak things. A good running store might be able to help you with that, too.

Good luck, and congrats on running for 2.5 minutes!
  • bametels
    bametels Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    Congratulations, that is AWESOME!
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Great work! I don't know if I could jog for 2.5 minutes!
  • SamandaIndia
    SamandaIndia Posts: 1,577 Member
    Options
    Love this. I choose endurance walking n eliptical training to protect my knees. If your back hurts or have knee issues these can be a kind way to build up health and strength. If you can get away with jogging huge congrats!!
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    That is wonderful! Congratulations! :)
  • Jan93L
    Jan93L Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Well done! I don't think I could do it even now.