Steaks!

Options
KBGirts
KBGirts Posts: 882 Member
edited January 2016 in Social Groups
I love a good steak. I've become really skilled at preparing them in my cast iron skillet, too! But we all know that the price of beef, especially pasture-raised, is high and is ever increasing. I've found a source for a cut that is relatively inexpensive for the tenderness that it provides. I'd like to continue buying this cut exclusively to maximize the amount of beef per dollar. But I don't want to miss out on the benefits of other cuts of meat. Here's my question:

Aside from fat content, does anyone know if different cuts have different nutrient profiles or is it simply a matter of personal taste, fat content, tenderness?

I'm specifically asking about muscle meat here. I know organ meats will be different and more beneficial. But right now, just trying to determine if I should be buying various different meat cuts or if eating the same cut is fine.

Anyone have any research they've read? Also this question could expand to other animal meats as well.... but those are not so critical because it's easy to buy a whole chicken, etc.

Thanks!

Replies

• monkeydharma
    monkeydharma Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    There must get be minor differences, but not enough to make an appreciable difference in your diet. Generally speaking, the more variety the better, so if you are eating a wide range of foods then it shouldn't be an issue.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    Well, I believe that most of the good (or bad) stuff is in the fat so the source of the animal is what matters. When it comes to muscle meat I doubt there are many nutritional differences, and source would matter less (well not to me ethically). At my healthiest I don't eat a huge variety (and avoid veggies). Pork aggravates my blood sugar, strangely, and my body just flat out rejects chicken and fish (though I force myself to eat them occasionally anyway). So, variety wise it's beef, lamb, goat, caribou, elk, deer, moose and whatever red meats I can get my little hands on and ideally with the most fat if it's grass fed or wild.

Money for me is now a big issue too so it could be down to ground beef 90% of the time.
  • monkeydharma
    monkeydharma Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Well, I believe that most of the good (or bad) stuff is in the fat so the source of the animal is what matters.

This is very true. 85% of the benefit between feedlot and pastured beef is the ratios of Omega3/6 in the fat. The other 15% has to do with corn/soy pass-through, etc. While it is always best to support the organic/humane foods movement, conventional beef is sometimes the only affordable choice.

Since the OP is trying to keep costs down by buying conventional beef, the following guideline is germane: if the meat has fat, trim it - and then cook in a paleo-friendly fat (coconut oil, butter, palm oil, etc).
  • LHWhite903
    LHWhite903 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I bake dark meat chicken in the oven, sometimes with my own homemade sauce on top and let the fat of the chicken be the fat it's cooked in. If I buy in bulk and freeze it, meat can be cheaper.
    Poultry in the United States is without hormones, I believe, so I usually get that. Although, if you're that worried about Omega 3s, fish come in many varieties.

Organ meats are delicious and very high in nutrition. Why not make some liver and onions? I love that. :smiley:
  • amelialoveshersnacks
    Options
    This is probably off tangent, however it may or may not be well known.... My parents would often buy chuck steak, put kiwifruit on it (skin removed) overnight, then fry it the next day. Something to do with the acid breaking down sinew or something like that. It was pretty good. Ok, sorry, back on tangent now lol
  • JessiBelleW
    JessiBelleW Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    I think I read somewhere that the dark meat of chicken has more nutrients than the white meat. Not sure if this applies to red meat since its all red. A very interesting question though
  • KBGirts
    KBGirts Posts: 882 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I should have been more specific. The source IS grass-fed. Just a cheaper cut.
    Well, I believe that most of the good (or bad) stuff is in the fat so the source of the animal is what matters.

Since the OP is trying to keep costs down by buying conventional beef, the following guideline is germane: if the meat has fat, trim it - and then cook in a paleo-friendly fat (coconut oil, butter, palm oil, etc).

Anyway, I didn't think there would be much of a different between cuts... not in terms of the muscle meat. Just curios if anyone had read anything at some point. I understand about the fat also. This cut is pretty lean though (no marbling), but does have a strip of fat. I use grass fed butter to cook it with. :)