Hello... Newbie here... I have a situation that may be diabetes related. Need input please!

Options
jady333
jady333 Posts: 22 Member
First off, hello everyone! I'm happy to have found this group. I'm hoping to add more friends for support and inspiration!

A little about me. I am 34, 220, 5'7" with uncontrollable diabetes, and I'm starting a serious diet and exercise regimen for the first time. I've been been feeling really bad for a long time, so I decided that it was time to change and get healthy.

Here is my situation...

I just started a low cal, low carb diet/lifestyle and exercise routine. I can see that my glucose is starting to come down (finally) but my skin is so dry. I feel like my face is sunburned. I feel like I am drinking plenty of fluids but no matter how much lotion I put on my face it is still peeling and hurting. The only other time I had this was when I was breastfeeding and felt dehydrated all the time. Has anyone else had this? Any insight would be great!

Thank you!

Replies

• wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Low-carb is dehydrating. It's basically a diuretic. The effect can be countered with high sodium intake. Are you increasing sodium intake?

There may also be a flushing effect due to the ketones. That seems to go away after a while.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    What @wabmester said is the priority, and also take a look at the lotion you use. Does it have any alcohol, fragrance or perfume (often also alcohol) in it?
    I just use ordinary old coconut oil. Feels amazing! I even use it on my face. And this is coming from someone that used to sell high end cosmetics and skincare is important to me
  • jady333
    Options
    I'm not intentionally increasing my sodium. I've gone over the amount that MFP set for me a few times. I'll have to do some research to find out how much sodium I should have.
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    Yes keep your fluids and sodium up. Also make sure your eating enough fat. How low cal are you?
  • jady333
    Options
    I'll try the coconut oil. I put some joboba oil on my face last night after my shower but I could feel my face tighten right back up.
  • jady333
    Options
    I am trying not to exceed 1600 calories. I don't think that's too extreme. MFP originally had me at 1400 calories but with the exercising I thought that was too low.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Sodium recommendations for low carb diet are a minimum of 3000mg to 5000mg or even more for some people.
    Keep in mind, this is only to REPLACE sodium that your body is constantly dumping as you have used glycogen stores and depending on your carb levels, may also be excreting excess ketones in your urine.
    When your sodium is low, you can stay properly hydrated. You are dehydrated...
    You also lose magnesium and potassium which are necessary as well. And can cause cramps, headache, fatigue, brain fog.. Lots of symptoms are associated with low electrolytes.
    You HAVE TO replace the lost sodium every day to prevent magnesium and potassium deficiency. Since you are having symptoms, you've no doubt already lost some of the other electrolytes as well.

Dehydration also makes sense with the symptoms during breastfeeding since you lose a lot of water then too.
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    jady333 wrote: »
    I just started a low cal, low carb diet/lifestyle and exercise routine.

Hello and welcome. We are glad you found us too! I hope you mean Low Carb and NOT Low Calorie - it nearly impossible to do both long-term and trying to do both is, simply put, a recipe for failure since it would be impossible to maintain it in the long-run. Much of the foods we eat following Keto are considered by many in the mainstream to be "high calorie" simply because of the healthy fat content. Nuts and seeds are a great example of this what with the fact that portion sizes are relatively small, yet they are high in calories.
  • jady333
    Options
    I don't know what I'm doing, to be honest. That's why I'm reaching out.
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    Welcome!
    1600 cals seems reasonable to me. I agree coconut oil can help for moisturizing. CeraVe cream is also really good, or Vanicream.
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    And yes, ditto pp's on your sodium/electrolytes. Very important for low carb!
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    jady333 wrote: »
    I don't know what I'm doing, to be honest. That's why I'm reaching out.

No worries. This is a very warm, welcoming, supportive and knowledgeable group. We're happy to answer questions, help guide you along your journey and be a reliable cheering section!
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    macchiatto wrote: »
    Welcome!
    1600 cals seems reasonable to me. I agree coconut oil can help for moisturizing. CeraVe cream is also really good, or Vanicream.

I agree regarding calories, at least depending on the exercise. If you're doing high intensity stuff, you can probably increase your calories, but light exercise is probably in the 1600 range.
    Yes keep your fluids and sodium up. Also make sure your eating enough fat. How low cal are you?

Fat levels are crucial, too. If you're trying to do low fat, too ("high protein"), then you're not giving your body the fat it needs to keep your body hydrated and your skin smooth.

Start with the sodium, though, and go from there. Broth/stock is a good way to get extra sodium in.
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    I swear, you all are on low calorie diets. Where are my peeps that eat around 3,000 calories a day? :wink:

I think 1600 calories is not what most here would be worried about when we think of "low calorie". We think of people in the 500-800 calories a day range, which is highly discouraged. The amount you're eating seems perfectly fine, depending on what your actual calorie needs are.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options
    My diary is public if you are curious to see the different high fat foods I'm including to get ideas and compare.
    The most important thing right now is to get your sodium up so you can start feeling better.
    Don't feel like everything has to be perfect with your macros from day 1. It can be overwhelming. Work on focusing on different things as you go. So right now, get the salt. Feel better and take a look at your fat totals and sources.
    Baby steps. We all had to evolve into our plans and tweek them here and there to maximize our health. And we're mostly all still working on it. :smile:
  • Sarahb29
    Sarahb29 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    ... oh so THAT'S why I've had such bad chapped lips? Low sodium? Dang! I've been going through chapstick and lotion like it's going out of style.
  • jady333
    Options
    Thank you, everyone, for the info. I upped my sodium at dinner and I'm feeling a little better. I'll definitely be more conscious of my electrolytes from now on. I'll guess I'll have to keep a chocolate bar and a can of chicken broth on me in case of emergencies.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options
    My emergency stash at work is a baggie of coconut oil with a spoon in it, boullion cubes, coffee and butter. Lol
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    Hi @jady333, LCHF goes against everything we've been told about healthy eating! I was way too resistant to increase sodium to the level that's needed, and I paid for it with some preventable symptoms, like leg cramps, insomnia, and hot sweats out of nowhere. I began LCHF last March, and it wasn't until September that I finally focused on the sodium, everyday, and have felt better since I did!

My biggest issue is that I'm unable to eat the amount of food needed to get the amount of sodium that's essential for combating these symptoms everyday. So, I use sodium tablets to increase my salt intake. Even after a year it's still something my body needs to remain balanced. I do hear that some are able to adjust, without needed supplements after becoming fully adapted to this woe.

Good luck!
  • TLCFORM
    TLCFORM Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    My diary is public if you are curious to see the different high fat foods I'm including to get ideas and compare.
    The most important thing right now is to get your sodium up so you can start feeling better.
    Don't feel like everything has to be perfect with your macros from day 1. It can be overwhelming. Work on focusing on different things as you go. So right now, get the salt. Feel better and take a look at your fat totals and sources.
    Baby steps. We all had to evolve into our plans and tweek them here and there to maximize our health. And we're mostly all still working on it. :smile:

Hi - I took a look at your diary as I'm new to this and looking for meal ideas. Do you mind me asking why you take 2000mg of vit c supplements a day, is there are benefit to this when following a low carb diet? Thanks!