Do you eat any fruit?

Options
ettaterrell
ettaterrell Posts: 887 Member
edited February 2016 in Social Groups
What fruit do you allow and how often? Anyone eat green apples every once in awhile?

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I do. I'm not all that low carb, and I love plant foods. I don't eat much refined carbs, nor much rice, nor much added sugar, but do eat lots of vegetables. And I do eat fruit. Sometimes daily, sometimes less. I aim for lower sugar, higher fiber fruits.
  • V_Keto_V
    V_Keto_V Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Avocados & olives are the official keto fruits
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Yes. Occasionally some berries. I've had a clementine here and there as well. I aim for 20-30 net carbs/day so my allowance is higher than some.

I'm now near maintenance and trying to follow more of the Wahls Protocol for my MS so that incorporates at least 6 cups/day of fruits and vegetables from 3 categories so I'm gradually increasing those. Mostly berries (brightly colored is one category) in terms of fruit.

Well and I eat avocados and pumpkins, though I admit I don't tend to think of those as fruit.
  • hakamruth
    hakamruth Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Since I am trying to lose weight I am avoiding fruit even the berries. I just don't seem to respond well when having fruit. But plan to add them back a little once I get to maintain mode. Depending on you definition of fruit. The only fruit I allow currently is avocado and tomato.
  • tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    Yes, but my carb level is fairly high compared to many here (50-80 g). Avocados, tomatoes, peppers, eggplant, squash, cucumbers - all technically fruit, lol, and I eat those pretty regularly. I do eat a small amount of berries now and then, maybe once a week - with heavy cream.
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    I forgot about squash and cucumbers. I eat those intermittently as well. Though the main veggies I eat are green leafy ones, some broccoli, green beans, sometimes cauliflower or brussels sprouts.
  • Panda_Poptarts
    Panda_Poptarts Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    Squash sometimes, the occasional green apple if I can spend 10 carbs, and frozen raspberries in my smoothies
  • riaward1990
    riaward1990 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Once a week I'll have a couple of berries, usually with some whipped cream. If I'm good ill also a bit of watermelon once a week. Sometimes I do, some times its just that time of the month and I use any spare carbs for a tiny bit of dark chocolate instead.

I keep my carbs at total of 20-30 and do IF of 6hr/18hr.
  • Couchpotato39
    Couchpotato39 Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    I eat 50g net and have berries daily in my smoothie. I also eat 1/2 an avocado every day.
  • KetoGirl83
    KetoGirl83 Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    Berries, almost every day (±25g).

I have a friend with an old abandoned farm where some fruit trees still survive even though they've almost reverted to wild. In season I have had apples, persimmons, pomegranates, figs, loquats, grapes and whatever else the birds and bugs don't get first. Only grapes have a significant effect on my blood sugar.
  • LowCarbInScotland
    LowCarbInScotland Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    We have delicious rasbperries and strawberries in Scotland and I used to have a serving of berries every day when I was at 35 net carbs. Right now though I'm keeping a very tight leash on the carbs.
  • sault_girl
    sault_girl Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Lots of tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers, zucchini, eggplant, squash, avocadoes, and sometimes berries (and definitely berries in season that I go foraging for!). I'm not super low carb, and I get really bored of eating the same things so I eat lots of vegetables, the above "fruits" and some berries, but I don't really eat things like apples, bananas, grapes, pineapple, etc.
  • mao1962
    mao1962 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    My hub and I are not currently eating any fruit(berries, apples, etc). However, we do eat lots of avocado, zucchini, olives. I did not realize those items were considered fruit. I love that I am constantly learning something from this group. Thanks to everyone!!
  • SamandaIndia
    SamandaIndia Posts: 1,577 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Daily avocado, bi weekly treat of a cherry tomato or raspbeŕry, main veg is spinach, some kale n some brussel sprouts, eggplant n courgette on ocassion too plus nori seaweed for sushi without the rice.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Almost none except for the occasional avocado, and I am cutting back on those. Low fruits is not a deprivation issue for me because I was not much of a fruit eater to begin with. I doubt I ate fruit more than a few times a month before my dietary changes.

Nuts and coconut are my hard ones to cut down on. Mmm, nuts.

I was having a couple of veggies per day but I am trying to cut carbs back now. I find I miss them a bit, but that could be just cultural training - it'sstill weird to not have side of veggies with my meats.
  • cedarsidefarm
    cedarsidefarm Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Ah, yes fruit, Mother Nature's dessert. I eat berries about twice a week and I'll have a pear once a month. But just wait until pear season late August/early Fall and my pear consumption will go way up because of the pear trees on our property give the best fruit in the world. But recently I've limited my fruit so I could reach 50 gram of carbs.

Oh, goosh I just realize I have 5 beds of strawberries coming on in the spring. I planted them last year and they are going to fruit this year. And my plum tree will be coming on, while my friend has an organic blue berry ranch. OK, my fruit consumption will go way up in the spring and fall. There is no way I'm passing up all that chemical-free fruit for the picking.
  • lowjax75
    lowjax75 Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    I eat a few berries with cream once in a while. I also eat a bit of muskmelon at time. And since tomatoes are technically fruit, I guess those count as well.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I have avocado and raspberries and blackberries every single day
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    I haven't had any fruit since blueberries last summer. We have our own bushes, so these are hard to resist, but at least they aren't year round! I have been strictly carnivore this month, and plan to continue on with it. I might have some strawberries, since they are in season now. Otherwise I don't consume fruit regularly.
  • 110challenge
    110challenge Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I eat avocado frequently but berries etc., never. I might start the occasional strawberry or two with hwc in the summer, organic raspberries are a favourite too but I haven't indulged the 8 months I've been doing this except the day my boss bought me about 2 cups of strawberries at a surprise event and I was obligated