Keto & cancer

Options
TerriWert
TerriWert Posts: 2 Member
edited February 2016 in Social Groups
Hi All, starting Keto lifestyle after having mets to the lung in January (from original 2013 colorectal cancer).
Have read much literature on Keto & cancer in the last month and wondering if anyone out there is in the same boat. Has been only two weeks and haven't received all my supplies yet to check ketones/glucose and such.
Any guidance is appreciated! Thanks!

Replies

• kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    What are "mets to the lung"?
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Hmmmmmmmm..........................

• PameW
    PameW Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm a twenty year ovarian cancer survivor and my cancer didn't go into remission until I went Keto/Paleo 2 1/2 years ago. I followed a keto calculator and determined what my macros to get into ketosis were. My diet is based mostly in fish with some red meats occasionally for iron.My fats come mostly from Avocado and Coconut oil, avocados, nut butters, nuts, olives, eggs. I occasionally eat cheese but only from grass fed cows.

Praying this lifestyle change helps to keep keep your cancer in a manageable state.
  • hazleyes81
    hazleyes81 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    kirkor wrote: »
    What are "mets to the lung"?
    logically, metastasized.
  • dawlfin318
    dawlfin318 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I have read about cancer and keto as well. I told my mother in law about it since she has lung cancer.

I know that cancer burns a ton of calories (and leaves the host starving), and sugar is the main source of food for those out of control cells. I hope you have a doctor that is open to your ketogenic plan. It makes sense.

Make sure to eat enough healthy fat to keep yourself healthy. You don't want to starve your healthy cells.
  • dawlfin318
    dawlfin318 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of very knowledgeable people in the group below.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group
  • totaloblivia
    totaloblivia Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Good luck. I hope you find what you need.
  • TerriWert
    TerriWert Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your kind replies. I found a nutritionist who specializes in cancer patients.... Also has personally done Keto for many years. Oncologist isn't supportive of the diet... Expected. Seem to be on the right track, I just have to build up my arsenal of recipes and tweak the ones I make for the family so I'm not doing double duty in the kitchen. Miss, MISS the fruit.... But other than that it's doable.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Since cancer thrives on sugars, anything you can do to starve it will help your immune system a bunch!
  • Rockkap
    Rockkap Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I have Cervical Cancer and just switched to Keto this week, for that exact reason.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    I've had some cancer patients actually ask me about the ketogenic woe! Word is getting out, and cancer patients tend to talk too! It makes sense to cut the sugar that feeds the tumors! Best of luck for the positive outcome you deserve! Hugs!