What is a healthy reasonable goal weight?

Options
SamandaIndia
SamandaIndia Posts: 1,577 Member
I notice that we each have different goals. I can see for a 5ft 4 inch woman folk range from 110 -140lbs. I have a small body frame. I do not want to look like skelator nor get body image obsessive. I want to feel n be healthy. At 120lbs I feel like I am in the healthy zone for me. I am considering continuing journey to 115lbs and seeing if my body just naturally slows to a maintenance weight.

Thus curious what others are finding as a suitable goal and their experiences.

Replies

• kershaann
    kershaann Posts: 1,824 Member
    Options
    I am as well 5'4", I have a bigger build. I was 140 and looked very sick I have found when I was 160 I was my healthiest. After my wedding I slacked and went back up to 190. On my way to try and get back down.
  • SamandaIndia
    Options
    That's interesting @kershaann. Wishing you success on your journey -and may it be a lot faster than mine! I kept bouncing off a weight slightly higher than my wedding weight for years. Like a set point. 25 years later and I cracked it :)
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on your frame, your body composition type and your set weight. My set weight for most of my life was considered "underweight" yet it required no maintenance. It was very difficult for me to move up or down from it. Perimenipause seems to be causing the weight to steadily climb now. And although, I am still on the low side of "normal", on my frame it does not look good. So each person is different.
  • ariellenkov
    ariellenkov Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    At 5ft I felt most comfortable at 107. Now I'm at 114 and can't seem to lose anymore.
  • JeepHair77
    JeepHair77 Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    It really is different for everyone, I guess. I think my goal probably puts me near the "underweight" category in most people's minds, but I truly do look and feel my best at that weight. It's the weight my body maintained all by itself when I was younger and ate every single thing I wanted every single day of the week.
  • DiIDE
    DiIDE Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I think also that it depends on your fame. I am 5ft 6" and weigh 57kg which is at the lower end for my height but I have a small frame an still caring fat that I need to get rid of. Even though I work out It is a slow process.
  • niniundlapin
    niniundlapin Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I keep changing my goal weight... I'm 5'5.4" and currently around 117-118 lb (average 53.5 kg). My current weight was my goal at some point before but now I really want to go down to 52.5 kg later. Not a lot to lose but I'd like to see how I look if I can lose some fat while keeping my current muscle mass :smile:
  • misschellechelle
    misschellechelle Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of it depends on your frame. Some people are naturally smaller framed and look healthy at a lower weight while other are built with a naturally larger frame or more muscle tone which makes their goals different.

Many experts state measuring your wrist circumference can give you an idea if you are small, medium, or large framed. This site has an example:
    http://www.superskinnyme.com/body_type_calculator.html
  • M4rni3
    M4rni3 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I think you should just look at your body and see how happy you are with it, and not focus on a number. A same weight can look very different on 2 different people depending on body composition and natural body shape (where you tend to store fat the most etc)
  • tarabole
    tarabole Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I think setting a number isn't completely important and as others have said it depends on your frame and body composition. 2 people at the same weight and height can look completely different or even the same person at the same weight and height at different times in their life. I've put on a lot do muscle so I can wear the same size (same articles of clothing) that I was when I was about 15 lbs less than I weight now so I'm reevaluating my goal weight.
  • ARGriffy
    ARGriffy Posts: 1,002 Member
    Options
    I've come to learn I have no bloody clue what my Gw is anymore! As I've lost my body has changed way different than I expected and lumps and bumps I didn't expect popped up, along with pockets of fat that ain't budging! So uh originally my goal was 126 now I dunno.... 120?? Less? ? We will see when I get there! 124 this morning!
  • justrollme
    justrollme Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    I'm a small-framed 5'4.5" and my original goal weight was 130, but when I got there, I knew I wasn't done, so I changed it to 120. Now I've changed it to 115. Currently at 118 and feeling very good about a 115 ultimate goal.
  • SamandaIndia
    Options
    @justrollme same height and same goal point journey. I targeted 130 first, I am 121lb and aiming at 115lb right now. :)

Being small framed, I guess I could end as low as 110lb or up to 125lb if I gain lots of muscle and reshape. Just do not trust the "look n see how I feel" process as a reality check.

My mind still is seeing me at closer to over 140 lb than 120lb and I do not want that distortion causing me to try to keep loosing weight beyond something reasonable and healthy. Celebrity weights do not interest me and weight charts are such a huge range they felt like a poor guide. Thus I thought I would check with real women as a reality check, sounds like I am in a safe ball park. Thanks ladies.
  • Anya_000
    Anya_000 Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'6 and started at 143-144, with a goal of 135, which felt like was a lot. Well once I hit 135, I realized my frame is smaller than I realized, and I'm still a little over weight. Now I'm setting 2 lb weight loss goals, and reevaluating as I go. I'm at 133 now, and gonna keep going. I lift heavy, so the body that's emerging is different than the one I had when I was young. For the first time in years, I feel good about myself.
  • Kullerva
    Kullerva Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4", 150 and still not happy with where I'm at, but my hips can't get much smaller and neither can my stomach. Within 10 lbs or so, I'm probably not going to see any more loss. In some ways this makes me happy (the end is nigh!), but if I were 120 I'd look like a corpse.
  • pugglepants318
    pugglepants318 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I am 5'2" and muscular, so I am a size 6 right now at 140, and want to get down to a lean 132 size 4.
  • DorkothyParker
    DorkothyParker Posts: 618 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    5'4" as well! I have a small frame and carry extra weight in my belly (although keto is helping with that). My goal weight is 112, but I would like to gain muscle mass so would be comfortable in the 112-120 range depending on muscle gains. (I really need to lift more!)
  • overshadows
    overshadows Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'3", 116 lbs and look okay in clothes... I have fat thighs and an unshapely, smooshy butt.

Weightlifting is giving me a better shape in general, but I have more fat to lose. I am guessing that I should probably be around 110-112lbs or so to achieve the look I want.
  • wishfullthinking79
    wishfullthinking79 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I am 5'7 and weighed this morning at 130.6. I weighed 131.9 yesterday. So I imagine 8t will go back up slightly. I in tial goal was 135. I started at 155. After reaching 135 I lowered it to 130. I am now just trying to tone up. I would like to go to 125 but that would mean I would need new clothes. My boobs have gone from 36DD to 34DDD and now 34DD.

I really really want that toned look. I find it is much harder now that I 36. Body just is not the same.
  • DanyellMcGinnis
    DanyellMcGinnis Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I am 5'5" and my goal is 120 but I am 20+ pounds away from that. So I may change my mind when I get there. Or I may decide that I'd like to do recomposition and trade some more fat for a bit of muscle.

Before I gained weight (*this* time), I weighed 106, which was maybe not quite enough. Although, I am quite small-framed. I had a college roommate many years ago who was about the same height as I am and she weighed 150 but didn't look it -- but then she was the goalie for our women's hockey team and played on the softball team as well, so she was quite lean and muscular.

I think if you are in good health according to your doctor, blood work, blood pressure, etc., and are happy with you size, that is a pretty good place to be. But it can be different for all of us.