Jenny's Progress :)

Options
1235»

Replies

• retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,753 Member
    Options
    Jen, I have just been told I 'might' have hypothyroidism. I have another test scheduled for a couple of weeks from now. Took me totally by surprise. Since I had never been above the normal range, my doc wanted to makes sure before starting treatment for it. She said is possible it is just a glitch and by adding iodized salt back into my diet, I could get an all clear. I have been doing some research of course, but from what I read, starving isn't necessary, just a good balance of iodine is needed. So seafoods, seaweed, iodized salt, some common veggies should help tremendously. I have a 3 pound range I can't seem to get out of, since doing a reset in August. This might be the issue for me.

Hope we both get this under control shortly.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Glad you got some insight.

That effect it has on your daily burn by moving less can really add up sometimes. Unless you just have a job that requires movement, exercise usually isn't enough to balance it out.

That's where even the best average TDEE tables will fail - medical issues.
  • jennytree
    jennytree Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Jen, I have just been told I 'might' have hypothyroidism. I have another test scheduled for a couple of weeks from now. Took me totally by surprise. Since I had never been above the normal range, my doc wanted to makes sure before starting treatment for it. She said is possible it is just a glitch and by adding iodized salt back into my diet, I could get an all clear. I have been doing some research of course, but from what I read, starving isn't necessary, just a good balance of iodine is needed. So seafoods, seaweed, iodized salt, some common veggies should help tremendously. I have a 3 pound range I can't seem to get out of, since doing a reset in August. This might be the issue for me.

Hope we both get this under control shortly.

This has taken me by surprise too. It has been a few years since I got my bloods checked though! I've read about seaweed and kelp too, can't do any harm anyway :smile:
    heybales wrote: »
    Glad you got some insight.

That effect it has on your daily burn by moving less can really add up sometimes. Unless you just have a job that requires movement, exercise usually isn't enough to balance it out.

That's where even the best average TDEE tables will fail - medical issues.

Yup - my FitBit is completely pointless at the moment too! So sometimes, you can have all the technology in the world and your body will still do it's own thing.

Only thing that will help now is some patience, and working with my doctor to get the balance right. No point in me stressing about TDEEs etc etc when my body will be adjusting over the next few weeks!
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Now Fitbit should actually reflect the fact you are moving less because lowered thyroid slows you down.

In studies I've seen, the effect on base metabolism isn't that much at all - it's the fact you feel tired more easily that kills your TDEE. Fitbit should pick up on that.
  • jennytree
    Options
    heybales wrote: »
    Now Fitbit should actually reflect the fact you are moving less because lowered thyroid slows you down.

In studies I've seen, the effect on base metabolism isn't that much at all - it's the fact you feel tired more easily that kills your TDEE. Fitbit should pick up on that.

Thing is, I'm not feeling especially tired or worn out. Or maybe it's been so gradual I haven't noticed, and I haven't been pushing myself fully during workouts? Definitely feeling the affects mentally, however.

I've started taking iron supplements too. I had noticed that I would feel slightly light-headed pushing up from squats etc so that should hopefully help with that.
  • 3furballs
    3furballs Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Hope you are feeling better. If you are taking a non prescription iron supplement, there is a liquid one you can get at the natural food stores that is very easily absorbed by the body and doesn't cause side effects like constipation.
  • jennytree
    Options
    3furballs wrote: »
    Hope you are feeling better. If you are taking a non prescription iron supplement, there is a liquid one you can get at the natural food stores that is very easily absorbed by the body and doesn't cause side effects like constipation.

Thank you so much for this. I wasn't aware there was a liquid form, but I got some today so hopefully it won't mess with my stomach as much as the tablets I had did :)
  • ambsnic17
    ambsnic17 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    How are doing since all of this?
  • jennytree
    Options
    Hey :)

I'm only finishing week 2 of my meds, so not expecting any results yet. I weighed myself at the start, may do so again at the end of this week.

TDEE is still around 2,300. Average food around 1,900.

Was at a wedding this weekend and ate all around me so not expecting anything tbh!

I've relaxed with the logging and the stress relief has been huge. I gave myself a very hard time about not training 5x a week, and that's not healthy either. It should be an enjoyable process. I feel much more positive, so mentally I'm in a much better place. I'll see where I am, physically, around the end of March.
  • ambsnic17
    ambsnic17 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Good to hear. Most of its mental I feel, so that's good you're in the right mindset!