Boys don't read this...ladies, am I alone here??

Options
2»

Replies

• cheekitty
    cheekitty Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I had an IUD inserted right before my surgery, but for the first 6 months or so, I had a lot of spotting. After that I stopped having a period entirely, which was pretty fantastic.
  • cmchandler74
    cmchandler74 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    cheekitty wrote: »
    I had an IUD inserted right before my surgery, but for the first 6 months or so, I had a lot of spotting. After that I stopped having a period entirely, which was pretty fantastic.

I'm still waiting for this to happen. It's been right around 6 months with mine in now. This gives me hope! The spotting has been ridiculous.
  • Dannadl
    Dannadl Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    From my 1st period at 13 years old to now at 48 I've been absolutely regular as a calendar and NOTHING seems to disrupt me at all. My period returned with in 2 months of giving birth both times (and I exclusively breast fed for 6-12 months both times), and it returned so regular you could set your calendar by it. Same thing after RNY. For the love of all that's holy, I'm having every other peri menopause symptom, but still regular as clockwork.
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    Dannadl wrote: »
    I'm having every other peri menopause symptom, but still regular as clockwork.

Me too and it's super frustrating! Also, because of my age, my doctor doesn't recommend birth control, but she says as long as I am cycling there is still a chance (if only a very slim one) of getting pregnant.

I got my period the day after surgery and have been mostly really regular, the only time I was off schedule was when I was taking black cohosh for hot flashes. I have heard though that a lot of people have changes in their cycles due to hormone levels changing. As if we weren't going through enough changes post surgery!

• Robin628
    Robin628 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    OMG I am having the opposite problem. I had my surgery on 12/7 and while I got my period on time the week of Christmas, I have skipped both January and seems February now. I am 44 and over the last couple of years my periods have gotten heavier, I have skipped it once or twice (thank you, perimenopause) but I have never skipped 2 months in a row. I am hoping it is just wonky from surgery/weight loss. On one hand I would be glad to never get it again but on the other, a little sad too.
  • Dannadl
    Options
    garber6th wrote: »
    I'm having every other peri menopause symptom, but still regular as clockwork.

Me too and it's super frustrating! Also, because of my age, my doctor doesn't recommend birth control, but she says as long as I am cycling there is still a chance (if only a very slim one) of getting pregnant.

I got my period the day after surgery and have been mostly really regular, the only time I was off schedule was when I was taking black cohosh for hot flashes. I have heard though that a lot of people have changes in their cycles due to hormone levels changing. As if we weren't going through enough changes post surgery!
    tye

That's funny, my Dr. put me on birth control pills to control the peri menopause symptoms. He offered Ambian, Xanex and an anti-depressant to deal with sleep disruptions, hot flashes and anxiety, or I could take birth control pills and likely alleviate all the symptoms. I opted for the birth control pills and they work great. He didn't feel that my age (48) would pose any health problems re taking the pill. My BP is quite low & my overall health is good. Now I frankly see the irony of the fact that I'm 48 years old and on the pill and my husband has had a vasectomy.
  • Moe4572
    Moe4572 Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options
    I have same "problem" as Robin628...had surgery 11/23 and only one period since, and that was very light. I have blocked tubes, so likelihood of pg is very low, though I have been pg once before (had m/c) and bf would be THRILLED if a pg occurred, as would I, but we know we need to wait, and have sooo many factors against us--biggest one is age as I am almost 44. I would be thrilled to never have another period, though for sure.
  • cmchandler74
    cmchandler74 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    That's funny, my Dr. put me on birth control pills to control the peri menopause symptoms. He offered Ambian, Xanex and an anti-depressant to deal with sleep disruptions, hot flashes and anxiety, or I could take birth control pills and likely alleviate all the symptoms. I opted for the birth control pills and they work great. He didn't feel that my age (48) would pose any health problems re taking the pill. My BP is quite low & my overall health is good. Now I frankly see the irony of the fact that I'm 48 years old and on the pill and my husband has had a vasectomy.

Please just be careful - there are very real risks associated with women who take oral contraceptives over the age of 40 (heart issues, blood clots, bone fractures, etc.). My doctor was pretty insistent that birth control pills were a risk she was not willing to take in prescribing. I ended up getting an IUD.
  • Dannadl
    Options

Please just be careful - there are very real risks associated with women who take oral contraceptives over the age of 40 (heart issues, blood clots, bone fractures, etc.). My doctor was pretty insistent that birth control pills were a risk she was not willing to take in prescribing. I ended up getting an IUD.

Scientific data from the past decade have proved that the age of 35 years is not an obligatory border at which to stop taking oral contraceptives (OCs). Combined OC formulations (COCs) are safe and effective for healthy women up to the age of the menopause. The use of OCs in women who do not smoke does not result in an increased risk of cardiovascular disease. Since the risk of thromboembolism increases with age and the level of obesity in women of 40 and over, it is wise to prescribe the lowest available dose of ethinyl-estradiol in the COCs. Some authors prefer levonorgestrel to any third-generation progestogen in COCs, but the excess risk of venous thromboembolism associated with the use of third-generation products can be balanced by the reduced risk of myocardial infarction associated with the same products. When OCs are considered for perimenopausal women, it is important to take into account progestogen-only pills. In consequence of the reduced fecundity, these have a better contraceptive efficacy in this age group than in women aged below 35 years. Their only important possible adverse effect is an unpredictable bleeding pattern; further, they do not alleviate climacteric symptoms if these are present. In such cases, progestogen-only pills can be combined with cyclic hormone replacement therapy

• NicoleL874
    NicoleL874 Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    I guess I'm the weird one, but for me normal is weird! I stopped my birth control a month before surgery. Since I was a teen my cycle was wonky, no rhyme or reason. I would get it every 21 - 65 days and it would last 3 - 21 days. So, birth control for a long time. Now, I'm on a 25 day cycle and it lasts 3 - 4 days. Granted, the first two days is definitely CSIish...but I'll take it over never knowing when it will come, and how long it will stay!
  • Nixygirl
    Nixygirl Posts: 35 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I've just sat here giggling at the thought of how many men saw the title of this thread and snuck in to read what us ladies were talking about, and then went NOPE jumping out of the thread just as quickly! :lol:

I've yet to have my surgery but it helps to hear all of this stuff to prepare me *buys jumbo-size tampons*. Thank you ladies for giving me a laugh this evening. :smiley:
  • nakeddog
    nakeddog Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    This was very helpful for me too...not sure what to expect. 43yrs, very heavy periods, but always regular...I have low iron. Little concerned about that, esp if they give blood thinners, trying to take iron pills, but seems like all the progress is gone after every cycle. What was said about estrogen and fat, makes so much sense. I just hope the family forgives me, with even more mood swings...lol. I will warn hubby, and encourage him to get a uniform, haha., might bring some sex back into the marriage.