Is this "The meat and cheese" diet?

Options
motown13
motown13 Posts: 688 Member
I was talking to someone at Barnes and Noble about LCHF, and she said "Oh yeah, the meat and cheese diet, I know about that."

So, right away I got a bit defensive.... and I told her that my fats come from many sources like coconut oil, avocados, olive oil and some nuts ( not often with the nuts, though ).

When I got home, I reviewed my food diary.

Most of my fat does likely come from meat and cheese. And while I do eat vegetables, I could ( should? ) probably eat more. Last night I had 4 cups of garden salad. Net carbs made that OK.

So, where are you getting your healthy fats from?

Replies

• Sarahb29
    Sarahb29 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    My fats come from: Avocados, all sorts of cheeses (cheddar, goat, feta, marble, pepper jack), sausages, pepperoni, fatty steaks, olive oil, butter, nuts, dark chocolate.. loads of sources :)
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    Avocados, cheeses, HWC, coconut oil, olive oil, full-fat coconut milk, almonds, peanut butter ... and meats.
    A lot of it is from meat and cheese but not quite ALL. ;)
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,802 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    hahaha. You must have been talking to my husband. He started this diet with me and told his friend that it was basically taking everything you love and replacing it with meat and cheese. He quit the diet but I've been doing it over five months. Now it's a running joke that I only eat meat and cheese. ;p I actually probably get most of my fat from heavy cream followed by meat, cheese, cashew/almond butter, butter, salad dressing, and avocados on occasion. I do eat either some salad or steamed veggies once a day or so.
  • MyPrimalLife
    MyPrimalLife Posts: 123 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    yes i do eat meat & cheese, but i also eat very healthy greens & veggies & fruits. this diet has NOT stopped me from eating healthy, in fact, i would dare say that i eat healthier than i did before. instead of a pop-tart, yogurt, cereal and fat-free milk, i now eat meat, eggs, cheese, fruits, veggies, etc. as a sample of breakfast. i think the general population is misinformed about this diet (as was I)

**sorry i didn't quite answer your question: cream cheese, butter, olive oil, nuts, meat & lovely HWC
  • moe0303
    moe0303 Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    where are you getting your healthy fats from?
    Ribs
  • hakamruth
    hakamruth Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    moe0303 wrote: »
    Ribs

Fat from meat is also one my favorite ways to get fat. I have always enjoyed fatty meats. This diet allows be to enjoy it without the guilt. The rest of my fat intake comes from butter, HWC, cream cheese, avocados, and Coconut oil. For some reason I do not lose weight as well with cheese. Other dairy products is okay just not cheese. Which does not mean I do not indulge every once in awhile. I love cheese.

• DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    Butter, coconut oil, bacon drippings, beef fat, chicken fat, mayo.

Dan
  • kimmydear
    kimmydear Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I thought that too and I think people who are really keeping their carbs really low are more forced to have meat and cheese. I am having veggies with most meals, 3x a day. Occasionally I have fruit but not often. Instead of crackers, breads, noodles, rice--I'm filling up on more nutritional things. I love this meat and cheese diet! :)
  • LowCarbInScotland
    LowCarbInScotland Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    It's a heck of a lot healthier than the cake and cookies diet! Lol
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    I'm dairy free, so no cheese here. My fat comes from olives, coconut, avocado, ghee, and meat.
  • DorkothyParker
    DorkothyParker Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    Butter, coconut oil, eggs, and meat and cheese.

I'm still in KISS mode.
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options

Can I just say how much I hate the term "healthy fats"? I rank it right up there with the "Ministry of Truth" from 1984. People use the term "healthy fats" almost exclusively when referring to those fats which are bad for our health. All those "healthy" non-saturated fats we have dumped into our diet are the worst possible things for our health. It is as if asbestos was associated with healthy lungs and people kept saying "how are you getting your healthy asbestos particles?"

Animals fats ARE the healthy fats. How do we get them? By eating meats (and cheese, if you're into that).

This has nothing to do with vegetables (meh), but everything to do with what fat sources you should be focusing on. You should focus on those fats which we have adopted to eat, not those we are told have been manufactured to be healthier for us. I am growing more and more convinced that everything everyone believes about health is exactly the opposite from what actually is true.
  • motown13
    motown13 Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    Well there are unhealthy fats, so it goes that there are healthy fats.
  • ogmomma2012
    ogmomma2012 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    FIT_Goat wrote: »

Can I just say how much I hate the term "healthy fats"? I rank it right up there with the "Ministry of Truth" from 1984. People use the term "healthy fats" almost exclusively when referring to those fats which are bad for our health. All those "healthy" non-saturated fats we have dumped into our diet are the worst possible things for our health. It is as if asbestos was associated with healthy lungs and people kept saying "how are you getting your healthy asbestos particles?"

Animals fats ARE the healthy fats. How do we get them? By eating meats (and cheese, if you're into that).

This has nothing to do with vegetables (meh), but everything to do with what fat sources you should be focusing on. You should focus on those fats which we have adopted to eat, not those we are told have been manufactured to be healthier for us. I am growing more and more convinced that everything everyone believes about health is exactly the opposite from what actually is true.
    Avocados and olive oil are manufactured? Please explain. o.o
  • ogmomma2012
    ogmomma2012 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Lot of eggs. Lately it's been some almond flour because I've been trying to bake stuff but usually I eat a ton of low carb veggies with butter or coconut oil and cheese.
  • LINIA
    LINIA Posts: 1,101 Member
    Options
    Before beginning this WOE all of my numbers were fine, no elevated BP, or diabetes, but horrible osteoporosis & arthritis (inflammation). I generally feel ok and am enjoying the foods i eat now.

Steak, Bacon, Ribs, chicken, beef, pork, egg yolks, the irish Butter, pickles and heavy whipped cream--almost no cheese whatsoever. i usuallly have boullion or bone broth, 2 cups of salad a day or one cup of veggies a day.

Am hoping that this WOE results in lowered pain from arthritis.
  • blacktie347
    blacktie347 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I get my fat primarily from egg yolks. It doesn't sound like much, but 16 eggs later, it adds up. I suppose that is from an animal, though.
  • bisky
    bisky Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    LINIA wrote: »
    Before beginning this WOE all of my numbers were fine, no elevated BP, or diabetes, but horrible osteoporosis & arthritis (inflammation). I generally feel ok and am enjoying the foods i eat now.

Steak, Bacon, Ribs, chicken, beef, pork, egg yolks, the irish Butter, pickles and heavy whipped cream--almost no cheese whatsoever. i usuallly have boullion or bone broth, 2 cups of salad a day or one cup of veggies a day.

Wow, I just realized my hips and knees have not bothered me at all this winter despite winter hiking and snow shoeing......maybe just from no processed sugar???? Amazing.

• WhatLouAte
    WhatLouAte Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Meta, cheese, mayo, pork scratchings, dark choc, coconut oil, butter
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    bisky wrote: »
    LINIA wrote: »

Wow, I just realized my hips and knees have not bothered me at all this winter despite winter hiking and snow shoeing......maybe just from no processed sugar???? Amazing.

Low carb pretty much eliminates inflammation. :smile: