Tall girls? 5"10 plus...

Options
tracefan
tracefan Posts: 382 Member
Do you find that so many tall women .. have such different weight ranges? Is there really a thing as big boned women?

Replies

• mkozmik
    mkozmik Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    @tracefan I've been told I'm "fine boned" based on my wrist circumference. I wonder where the terms originated? Hmmm.....
  • mkozmik
    Options
  • tracefan
    tracefan Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Ahh Thank you for that article. I'm basically small/med boned. 6.2 Very interesting. I'm 5'11" I will now call myself thin boned lol
  • angie_kins
    angie_kins Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I see such a variety of maintenance weight based on what I see tall women posting here in the forums. I'm 6'0 and weigh about 180, wear a size 12, and would like to get down to 170. Anything less than that and I look like a bobble head doll. But I've seen people in the 5'10 - 6'0 range post that they're in the 130's - 150's and for me, I just can't see how that's sustainable.
  • no_day_but_2day
    no_day_but_2day Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    angie_kins wrote: »
    I see such a variety of maintenance weight based on what I see tall women posting here in the forums. I'm 6'0 and weigh about 180, wear a size 12, and would like to get down to 170. Anything less than that and I look like a bobble head doll. But I've seen people in the 5'10 - 6'0 range post that they're in the 130's - 150's and for me, I just can't see how that's sustainable.

You are my twin!
  • mkozmik
    Options
    @angie_kins ...I'm 5'10"... I got down to 143 for my daughter's wedding (nearly 4 years ago now). I was aiming for 145 so I think it was the stress of it all that dropped me under 145. I maintained 145 -150 for quite some time after that.

In high school I was an athlete, playing basketball in the winter and was an equestrian during the summer months.....I was a solid 145# of muscle. I never had a 6 pack, but I was fairly toned and muscular.

For me 145-150 is sustainable. I feel healthy, I eat well, and it fits. I'm guessing if I were a couple inches taller, I wouldn't be aiming for 145-150 either. ;-)
  • glassofroses
    glassofroses Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    I agree, I see tall women posting their goal to be in the 130s and I despair. Maybe their muscle tone is a lot less (and therefore they weigh less) than some of us?
  • Melisarian
    Melisarian Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Case in point, whether this is true or not, Rebecca Romijn must be extremely small boned at 5'11"?! http://www.howtallis.org/rebecca-romijn-height-weight-measurements/
    I'm 5'10 1/2" and medium boned, at 164. A year ago was down to 154 and a size 8, through lifting more weights and eating very, very clean. I can't imagine being smaller than that a size even smaller than I was in college. At an 8, even my weight-obsessive sister in law warned me to not getting smaller than I was!! Everyone is built so differently, you have to do what's right for you.
  • mkozmik
    edited March 2016
    Options
    My mom & sister routinely tell me I'm anorexic and that since I'm tall, I can carry extra weight.

Um.....no. :p
  • kirstenb13
    kirstenb13 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I'm 6'0 and weigh about 180, wear a size 12, and would like to get down to 170. Anything less than that and I look like a bobble head doll. But I've seen people in the 5'10 - 6'0 range post that they're in the 130's - 150's and for me, I just can't see how that's sustainable.

Honestly, I used to think that too (I started at 193 and am 5'11). But now that I made it down to 155 lbs I can see that I am still far, far from too thin. I could easily lose another 10 lbs and still look totally average I'm sure. I think it's partially due to people having a skewed perception because they are around so many overweight people. It is still a healthy weight of course, so if you are happy at it, just stay there - but to say it looks funny is just not true for the large majority.
  • utahchic89
    utahchic89 Posts: 14 Member
    Options

You are my twin!

I cannot imagine weighing between 130 and 150. That's insane. My personal goal weight I'm trying to achieve is roughly 175, and my nutritionist thinks I should be around 165. I'm 5'10". I feel like if I were to drop even further below that, I would be sickly! :/
  • NutritionHealth4Life
    NutritionHealth4Life Posts: 90 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I'm 5' 10" tall and I look great around 170-175

But I'm focusing on measurements instead of killing myself trying to be a number on the scale.
  • kennedyer627
    kennedyer627 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I am 5'10 and I like to be between 145 and 150. I find that with my height, it isn't impossible to weigh less (more body must weigh more mentality,) but I have found that I can weigh more without it being as obvious. I look thinner than my best friend that is 5'5 and she weighs about 20 lbs less than me at any given time. The only reason I have my weight goal so low is because I have a very short torso. I am not comfortable or confident with my midsection when I am over 150 even though I look fine. Even at my heaviest 166 my long legs kept people from noticing.
  • rj2mng
    rj2mng Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am still very young and not as tall as some of you guys but a year or two ago I was about 145-150 and that was the happiest I had been with my weight. I am 5'9 and I felt like I was very proportional. Unfournatley, I didn't stay at that weight and just kept gaining. It is now my goal to try and get back down to that weight very slowly. My body has really suffered from the weight I have packed on over the past few years. At first everyone was happy that I was gaining because I had been very underweight for most of my life but when my weight just kept going up everyone was concerned.
  • mkozmik
    Options
    @kennedyer627 I'm 5'10" and have a short torso as well. So frustrating. Especially since that seems to be where my fat seems to reside! It seems we are even shooting for the same weight range too. :)