TED talk

Options
MyPrimalLife
MyPrimalLife Posts: 123 Member
someone posted this link and now i can't find the post where i came from. this is very powerful, and worth a 15 minute break to watch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=da1vvigy5tQ

Replies

• MyPrimalLife
    MyPrimalLife Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    i found who posted it - THANK YOU to

RalfLott :)
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    i found who posted it - THANK YOU to

RalfLott :)

My pleasure - glad it had the same effect on you as on me.

I'll bet her lucky patients and students are lifetime disciples.
  • ShootingStar72
    ShootingStar72 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    This video is awesome! Thanks for posting. I will be sending a link to this video to several members of my family who are pre-diabetic.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    This video is awesome! Thanks for posting. I will be sending a link to this video to several members of my family who are pre-diabetic.

I hope they watch it and it helps.
    I posted it on my T2D sisters Facebook page. I expect it to go "unliked" and un-commented on just like everything else I've ever shared with her. If it were cash angels or something, I'd get a response!
  • RalfLott
    Options

I posted it on my T2D sisters Facebook page. I expect it to go "unliked" and un-commented on just like everything else I've ever shared with her. If it were cash angels or something, I'd get a response!

Ah, but your followers like and comment on what you post here!
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »

Ah, but your followers like and comment on what you post here!

It's nice to know someone listens to me. Lol

It's been hours and no one has liked or commented on it, but she's shared a bunch of cheesy Facebook stuff and liked my new profile pic. Lol
  • RalfLott
    Options

It's been hours and no one has liked or commented on it, but she's shared a bunch of cheesy Facebook stuff and liked my new profile pic. Lol

Is it possible a basic shortcoming of the human condition is at play here?

Perhaps something like:
    Helpful advice tends to be dismissed as urban (rural) legend if it:
    • Does not taste good;
    • Comes from siblings with their *kitten* together (figuratively, Metformin notwithstanding); or
    • Looks like its intellectual digestion might burn too many calories for the recipient to remain comfortably camped in the "sedentary" category,
    Whereas
    • Cheesy Facebook stuff pretty much automatically qualifies as "reality."
    (Just wondering.....)

• KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    I've seen this Ted Talk before, but it's definitely worth another watch! I believe I might post this on my FB page too! Thanks @RalfLott!
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options

Is it possible a basic shortcoming of the human condition is at play here?

Perhaps something like:
    Helpful advice tends to be dismissed as urban (rural) legend if it:
    • Does not taste good;
    • Comes from siblings with their *kitten* together (figuratively, Metformin notwithstanding); or
    • Looks like its intellectual digestion might burn too many calories for the recipient to remain comfortably camped in the "sedentary" category,
    Whereas
    • Cheesy Facebook stuff pretty much automatically qualifies as "reality."
    (Just wondering.....)

Lol
    No doubt!

I wish she would get serious though. She's in seriously poor health. The lack of action drives me crazy!
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    Warning: Ted Talks can be addicting. :) Thanks for reposting this one.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,958 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I need to remember to send this one to my parents. Not that they will listen to me but still.
  • RobinK228
    RobinK228 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Great link! Thanks for posting. :smile:
  • ChoiceNotChance
    ChoiceNotChance Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    She has quite a few videos on youtube. They range in topics and have some good information.
  • ShootingStar72
    ShootingStar72 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    @Sunny_Bunny_ I hope your sister watches it! Hopefully over time your persistence will pay off :)

I am about to get persistent with my Mother. I think she is finally open to change since she has had a really bad year healthwise. She has finally losing weight, and has cut alcohol out of her diet completely (after 2 trips to the ER for heart arrhythmia). She is on the edge of having diabetes, and her doctor is encouraging her to go to the ADA nutrition class at the hospital... Noooo! I read the pamphlet and sample diet and there was bread in there! I hope she watchest his video...
  • kyedo
    kyedo Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Enjoyed the TED talk, which prompted me to check out the speaker.
    I found that Dr Halberg has a site fitteru.us that has a lot more videos.
  • RalfLott
    edited March 2016
    Options
    kyedo wrote: »
    Enjoyed the TED talk, which prompted me to check out the speaker.
    I found that Dr Halberg has a site fitteru.us that has a lot more videos.

Thanks for the link - lot's of good information there!

Here is another great presentation - a podcast by low-carb diet expert Dr. Stephen Phinney, Long-Term Stalls and Weight Gain Even On A Well-Formulated Low-Carb Diet.

This is nearly 2 hours of captivating and informative question and answer by a genuine expert.
    (You can download it to play in your car or listen online.)

Dr. Phinney is a co-author of The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living, which is free on Kindle Unlimited.
    (I haven't read it yet, but it's next on my list after listening to Dr. Phinney's illuminating podcast discussion.)

The accompanying website Art and Science of Low Carb is also a good resource. It's not extensive, but what's there is interesting. There are a few videos here.

• auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    What exactly are Ted talks?
  • RalfLott
    Options
    Ah, there are sweet, gooey treats in store for you!

They're short, stimlulating presentations by experts on a wide variety of subjects. There are over 2100 now available to watch online.

www.ted.com

There are also Ted Talks Android and iPhone apps.
  • RalfLott
    Options
    @Sunny_Bunny_ I hope your sister watches it! Hopefully over time your persistence will pay off :)

I am about to get persistent with my Mother. I think she is finally open to change since she has had a really bad year healthwise. She has finally losing weight, and has cut alcohol out of her diet completely (after 2 trips to the ER for heart arrhythmia). She is on the edge of having diabetes, and her doctor is encouraging her to go to the ADA nutrition class at the hospital... Noooo! I read the pamphlet and sample diet and there was bread in there! I hope she watchest his video...

Yea!!!

She is LUCKY to have you hovering around to guide her path and snatch those glucose-spiking ADA recommendations. Nice work!

• auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    Ah, there are sweet, gooey treats in store for you!

They're short, stimlulating presentations by experts on a wide variety of subjects. There are over 2100 now available to watch online.

www.ted.com

There are also Ted Talks Android and iPhone apps.

Oh interesting. I've seen them mentioned before but never watched any. I'm not much for videos. I watched this though and shared on my fb, I wonder if any of my over weight diabetic friends will even watch it