dietbepsi Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    No I do not use a scale but I do measure out my food
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    dietbepsi wrote: »
    No I do not use a scale but I do measure out my food

That would be the first place to start then. Measuring cups are not accurate.

A food scale is not a prerequisite to lose weight, but if you're not losing or gaining, then this is the very first place I would start.
    There's a video that gets posted often on the main forums showing the difference between weighing and measuring. I'll try and find it and post it here.
  • Christine_72
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Edited: The other video is more thourough
    0.jpg 40.4K
  • Christine_72
    Options
    This is the video I was looking for, much better better than the other one I posted

https://youtu.be/JVjWPclrWVY
  • dietbepsi
    dietbepsi Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Thank you I'll check that out. But in other news I'm quite happy because I just shaved two minutes off my best mile time tonight!
  • mlinton_mesapark
    mlinton_mesapark Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    You might hate me for saying this, but the problem might be that you're trying too hard, and/or expecting results too soon. Stress is sometimes the hidden enemy.

It sounds like you're following a stellar program. Have you been on this exercise routine for a while, or did you recently start or up the intensity?

How much weight are you wanting to lose, and by when? How tall are you?

Please forgive me if you've answered some of this already. I can't see your original post without deleting mine.

I just know I see a recurrence of people who are shooting for fairly low calories per day, which can make following any WOE difficult and can lead to frustration and discouragement and ultimately abandoning the program. Sometimes adding 50-200 calories per day can make all the difference in the world in sustainability, and the weight ends up coming off after all. Hope this helps.
  • Sarahb29
    Sarahb29 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    Tia_N_Mac wrote: »
    Bio: I lost 30 pounds maybe 2 years ago and I've put about 17 back on. I've been trying to lose again (I want to lose 40 total) and it's harder than it was before. I looked at my diet and saw how carb-heavy it was and decided to try low-carb. I chose 50 grams/day based on some things I read since I'm not doing it for health reasons and I don't want to exclude everything. (I was probably eating about 150/day)

Monday will make 4 weeks and I've only lost about 3-4 pounds. I work out at least 4 days a week (kickboxing or step), I drink 96 oz of water a day and I eat when I'm hungry (which we know is a lot less on this plan). I log on Spark People (just where I started) but I like the forums here better so I listed the total calories and carbs for the last 5 days.

I expected to lose more weight from everything I read. Anything you have to offer is much appreciated. Not sure if I should stick with this or go back to calorie counting.

Sat: 1090/ 44
    Sun: 1204 / 44
    Mon: 728 / 25
    Tue: 935 / 39
    Wed: 972 / 48

What exactly did you read? If you're talking about a keto diet, then yes you tend to lose weight very fast in the beginning but you're restricted to 20 NET carbs a day to enter ketosis.

If you're eating 50g it's still low carb but you won't lose as quickly. That being said 4lbs a month, one per week is pretty normal, especially when you are at a lower weight. Those accounts of people losing 10lb+ are usually over 350lbs and have a lot to lose. The smaller you become the harder it becomes to lose weight.
  • CMYKRGB
    CMYKRGB Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I've slowed way down in my loss,too, and tried fasting for one day with lots of water. I've started losing again. Maybe try intermittent fasting?

Also, if you're exercising, perhaps you are losing fat but gaining some muscle. Are you measuring?
  • SamandaIndia
    SamandaIndia Posts: 1,577 Member
    Options
    pe6j7y7614by.jpg

Attached is my weight loss chart for close to 180 days. Each different colour is two months (Sept/Oct); (Nov/Dec); (Jan/Feb and first 5 days of March). The projections are based on overall trend, the colour trended from a 2 month period to match colour of that period and a red trend for that predicted loss from 5 days ago.

My point in sharing the chart is that although each 2 months I lose weight and there are some steps down in there, there are also some frustrating ups too. I feel similar to @dietbpepsi at times, and I do measure my food either on a large digital scale or a tiny cute one for accuracy in small measurements. I suspect stress is holding onto my weight. In wierd scale moment of the week, I lost 1 kilo from yesterday to today. Clearly unrealistic but I gained that much mid last week over a few days with no sensible logic to that either. Thank god for non scale victories!