Does anyone drink Bulletproof Coffee?

Options
WholeFoods4Lyfe
WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
Currently I enjoy my coffee with coconut milk, with the occasionally iced coffee with milk.

I was thinking about trying Bulletproof Coffee but am wondering if I really need the Brain Octane or if I can just use a good coconut oil instead.

Thoughts?

Replies

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    I just high grade coconut oil from Krogers for my source of MCT oil. It does not have to be coffee. Just hot water will work but coffee or tea is a plus in my mind. :)
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Technically it's coconut oil and butter. MCT oil just gives a different strength of certain fatty acids that are in coconut oil, while excluding other fatty acids in it. I personally use a high caprylic acid MCT, similar to Brain Octane, but for a very specific purpose of providing more of that faster energy for my brain as part of my ADHD treatment.
    It's absolutely not necessary for the weight loss and hunger control to use MCT.
    One of the ideas with the coffee is to remain in a fasted state by only having the coffee in the morning and waiting to eat later on. You technically break a fast by consuming foods that trigger certain aspects of digestion. So, cream and milk break the fast. But coconut oil and butter don't. At least by a bulletproof (fat fasting) definition.
  • klkateri
    klkateri Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I drink it occasionally. I'm trying to drink it more. **Perhaps a goal for next week?!**

I just use coconut oil, kerrygold butter, some vanilla extract and a touch of spelnda and finish it off with a dash of cinnamon. I've tried it without the extra's and I just can't choke it down.
  • blacktie347
    blacktie347 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Although I like milk and sweetener in my coffee and in my espresso & water (the Americano), I don't really know if I'm brave enough to try coffee and oil or coffee and butter with other stuff.

Also, I don't understand the appeal. Someone want to tell me? The Wikipedia page on this is a little sparse.
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    Although I like milk and sweetener in my coffee and in my espresso & water (the Americano), I don't really know if I'm brave enough to try coffee and oil or coffee and butter with other stuff.

Also, I don't understand the appeal. Someone want to tell me? The Wikipedia page on this is a little sparse.

I like it because it helps you get your fat in, therefore increasing satiety. Also, the butter creates this creaminess that allows you to eliminate the milk in your coffee.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I do mine with coconut oil and a bit of coconut cream or whipping cream. Later in the day I add protein powder too.

Just make sure you blend it or whip it. I like to put mine in a Contigo travel mug and shake it hard.
  • esaucier17
    esaucier17 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I tried it but don't care for it so much.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    edited March 2016
    Options
    It has to be blended to create the smooth, creamy cup of coffee. Tastes just like coffee with cream but maybe a little more rich.
    Looks exactly like coffee with cream. Feels exactly like coffee with cream in the mouth.
    2kq32ueh3skg.jpeg
  • KetoGirl83
    KetoGirl83 Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    I've been doing coffee and coconut oil almost since I started LCHF (also black tea, now and then). I blend it and, surprisingly, loved it from day one, even though before I never had coffee or tea without sugar.

It took me a year to try butter, somehow the idea was more difficult than coconut oil. But it is, again, surprisingly good. Similar to a good latte with extra cream. For me, it was a brain twist, butter and cream are pretty much the same product and as soon as I saw it that way, it was ok. Now I add coconut oil and/or butter and have it for breakfast almost every day. The coffee and 3 fried eggs for breakfast allow me to have just 1 other meal a day, usually without snacks.

::flowerforyou::
  • lukos05
    lukos05 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I tried the CO and butter and something just didn't sit right; too much dairy to the butter and cream cheese I've put in my diet already, maybe. So I did a little research and started MCT oil (brain octane) and *cacao butter this week. (With stevia.) Yummo! Gives it a chocolatey flavor. Have tried it blended, just stirred, and in a shaker bottle: the shaker bottle works in a pinch, just be mindful of the hot gases released from the pressure. <.<
  • CMYKRGB
    CMYKRGB Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I make my own, and add a tsp of unsweetened cocoa powder. Love it!
  • blacktie347
    Options
    thanks for the explanation :)
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options

I didn't think I would like it, but then I read that you're supposed to mix it up in a blender to emulsify the fats. It's rich, foamy and delicious.
  • blacktie347
    Options
    lithezebra wrote: »

I didn't think I would like it, but then I read that you're supposed to mix it up in a blender to emulsify the fats. It's rich, foamy and delicious.

Cool, thanks :)
  • carsonheim
    carsonheim Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I actually just had my first one today. My husband had started drinking this about a year ago. I thought it seemed so gross with salted butter in coffee. Well, it. Was. Delicious!!! I put the coffee in my vitamix with my butter and 2 tablespoons of sugar-free flavoring syrup and also 1 tablespoon of heavy cream. Whipped all that stuff up in the vitamix and damn it was delicious!!!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I tried bullet proof tea once. It was okay, but nothing I'd do on purpose regularly.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options
    carsonheim wrote: »
    I actually just had my first one today. My husband had started drinking this about a year ago. I thought it seemed so gross with salted butter in coffee. Well, it. Was. Delicious!!! I put the coffee in my vitamix with my butter and 2 tablespoons of sugar-free flavoring syrup and also 1 tablespoon of heavy cream. Whipped all that stuff up in the vitamix and damn it was delicious!!!

You can also use unsalted butter. Most people do. But I actually like salted myself.
  • SamandaIndia
    SamandaIndia Posts: 1,577 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I cracked our cheap blender as the coffee was just off the boil and the lid vaccuum sealed on so i could not open it then the pressure difference as interior cooled cracked the plastic. Will spend more than $15 next time. Any great easy to clean blender tips? Just for mixing drinks like this.

Blending well is key. Small amounts to start.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    Any great easy to clean blender tips? Just for mixing drinks like this.

I whirl some water water and detergent through the blender, then rinse, to clean it. Hopefully I'm not courting food poisoning that way.

• landiodo
    landiodo Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I bought a hand immersion blender. I don't like coffe so I make bullet proof broth. It is so good, I don't feel like myself if I don't have it.