Super Cheap Meals? Help!

Options
JessicaLCHF
JessicaLCHF Posts: 1,265 Member
Due to out of state move and job issues (licensing problems) we've been on cut rations for three months now. Two weeks away from a decent paycheck (finally), and I just gotta tough it out two more weeks! Ideas? I'm pretty much turkeyed out. We've have many meals of eggs and leftover turkey soups. We've had lots and lots of chili, too. Anybody have any favorite gotos when times get tough that I might have overlooked?

Replies

• landiodo
    landiodo Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Egg tacos are pretty cheap and delicious.
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    I've found pork roasts tend to be fairly inexpensive here and provide a fair amount of food.
  • lowjax75
    lowjax75 Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    Taco Salad (with any kind of meat, just need some spices), lunch meat (cheap stuff works) with some cream cheese on it will be a bit filling. A can of shredded chicken w/mayo and salt/pepper/cayenne pepper works for lunch for me most days.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    Taco flavored ground beef is cheap and is versatile! Ground beef is usually on the cheaper side (meat loaf, meat muffins...many options, or just eat it with a spoon like @FIT_Goat!)

Chicken is still a cheaper meat and provides many options for stretching a budget when creating multiple meals (take a rotisserie type chicken, then use leftovers in a chicken salad, for instance)when you can.

Best to you!!
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,803 Member
    Options
    Egg roll in a bowl is pretty inexpensive. Just ground meat (i use either sausage or ground chicken), cabbage, ginger, and soy sauce!
  • V_Keto_V
    V_Keto_V Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Eggs, cabbage, & EVOO was the diet of a poor college student rounding out the end of the semester...good times
  • bluefish86
    bluefish86 Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    Tuna, sardines, eggs, ground beef, pork chops & chicken thighs are all great (inexpensive) protein. Frozen vegetables are good to have too as they are convenient and don't go off as quickly as fresh veg (no waste). You can also buy meat that's on sale and freeze it. I often buy meat that's been marked down because it's close to it's sell by date... it will generally keep for another day or 2 in the fridge or a couple of weeks in the freezer.
  • JessicaLCHF
    Options
    anglyn1 wrote: »
    Egg roll in a bowl is pretty inexpensive. Just ground meat (i use either sausage or ground chicken), cabbage, ginger, and soy sauce!

That sounds delicious! Thanks all. Will def try some of these.
  • JessicaLCHF
    Options
    Found this recipe, seemed like one of the simpler ones and pinned it. Can't wait to try this! http://www.bunsinmyoven.com/2015/08/24/sausage-egg-roll-in-a-bowl/
  • JessicaLCHF
    Options
    I pretty much know what low cost foods there are, (except I forgot about canned chicken, thanks!), I guess I'm just looking for flavors and new ways to make it.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Does anyone have new suggestions? Most of my favorites are covered here. Pepperoni is one I like (doesn't take much), adding cream cheese to scrambled eggs (preferred meat is ground beef), etc. And honestly, buying butter as cheaply as possible to add it to just about anything.

And making friends with a local butcher/meat department manager can get you heads up on all the discounted meats!

Oh, and use Walgreens Points to document your weight, steps, etc., and get points you can use on about anything except milk/eggs/cheese.
  • tigakai
    tigakai Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Crack slaw! Filling and real cheap. Ground beef is my go-to but keep an eye on meats for discount, my Albertsons puts meat on sale near the end of the day.
  • megemrj
    megemrj Posts: 547 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Tuna with coconut oil, salt & pepper does it for me. Can't get much cheaper than that :)

I also wait until raw shrimp packs are buy one get one at our local grocer and stir fry with home made ghee, garlic, and Cayenne pepper. Then add couple TBS of heavy whipping cream, raw baby spinach, and anything else from my fridge I think may work well. I usually have mushrooms or other veggies to use in it. Really this dish is as versatile as ur imagination allows. I usually adjust my ingredients to fit my remaining macro allowance for the day.

One of my hubs most frequent requests. He's not lchf but eats it anyway BC it's so good!
  • BRobertson23
    BRobertson23 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I did parmesan encrusted chicken tenders not that long ago. Dredge the tender in a little egg wash and parmesan cheese (we only had the "jarred" kind, not the shredded at the time). Baked in the over til crispy. Husband and son loved it! Served it with green peas mixed with crumbled bacon and a little red onion covered with some mayo for dressing.
  • canonri
    canonri Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I just buy my meat from the butcher instead of grocery store. It saves a lot of money and you can use different cuts to reduce cost. Also frozen vegetables instead of fresh.
  • Tanukiko
    Tanukiko Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Chicken thighs (with skin). I bought 5lbs for $6 yesterday. you can sautee them or bake em. Nice and fatty and meaty.
  • Keto_T
    Keto_T Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    I love pork tendoin. It's super cheap at Sam's here lately. About $1.69/lb or so last I checked. Very versatile. I can make a dry rub and throw on grill, can throw in oven, can throw in crock pot, can give it spicy or mild flavor, can do Asain-y, Mexican spicy, BBQ pulled pork. So many options.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    My daughter has been making "sushi rolls" (not exactly) on low carb tortillas by spreading the whole thing with cream cheese, adding canned salmon, thinly sliced avocado and cucumber and rolling it up and slicing it. Seems pretty good.
    I don't eat those low carb tortillas but I bet it would be good on nori too.
  • sault_girl
    sault_girl Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Organ meats are very inexpensive and nutrient dense.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I did parmesan encrusted chicken tenders not that long ago. Dredge the tender in a little egg wash and parmesan cheese (we only had the "jarred" kind, not the shredded at the time). Baked in the over til crispy. Husband and son loved it! Served it with green peas mixed with crumbled bacon and a little red onion covered with some mayo for dressing.

Another even easier one is slather chicken pieces with mayo, pour parmesan (Kraft jarred grated will work) over top to coat, and bake. Even better if you can crumble a bit of dried oregano and basil on top.