Bulletproof Coffee

Options
Panda_Poptarts
Panda_Poptarts Posts: 971 Member
edited March 2016 in Social Groups
I have what may be a very unpopular opinion, so brace yourselves.

BPC sucks.

I am on board with the coconut oil. I'm good with the heavy cream. But add in that butter and I shudder to swallow.

How do folks do this daily, willingly? I'm chugging cup #2 and looking forward to tea later.

Replies

• Tanukiko
    Tanukiko Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I make sure to use a handblender for T least 15 seconds and drink it while still frothy. It becomes and oil slick if I wait too long.
  • Panda_Poptarts
    Options
    Tanukiko wrote: »
    I make sure to use a handblender for T least 15 seconds and drink it while still frothy. It becomes and oil slick if I wait too long.

I popped it in my standing blender and it was definitely frothy. It's the flavor I can't wrap my head around. Maybe I'm using the wrong butter? It was just BAD.

Buy I'm trying IF today, so it was kind of necessity.
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    Are you using grass feed butter? The kerrygold tastes so much different from regular butter. I don't use butter in it anymore maybe once in a while. I also add stevia drops and cocoa powder to mine too.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options

BPC sucks.

I am on board with the coconut oil. I'm good with the heavy cream. But add in that butter and I shudder to swallow.

How do folks do this daily, willingly? I'm chugging cup #2 and looking forward to tea later.

Gasp! ;)

I tend to go with coconut oil for mine. I haven't actually tried butter yet. Perhaps just use that if you need fats.

Or better yet, make a coconut oil fat bomb.
  • SamandaIndia
    SamandaIndia Posts: 1,577 Member
    Options
    Maximum froth 16g unsalted or salted butter, depending on what you prefer, 8g coconut oil is my standard. Might be worth trying different butter or just HWC if you prefer.

My problem with BPC is that since I started it 5 weeks back I have gained a little weight rather than the all promised wonderment of going even lower carb (<20g) and even higher fat. My weight loss had slowed this year so thought I would try a different strategy but now it is if anything flat to up a little. Calories in constant.
  • motown13
    motown13 Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    I agree, BPC is wretched. Just wretched.

Now ( as of today ) I use coconut oil, and a tiny bit of SF syrup, and no cream at all.
  • Panda_Poptarts
    Options
    Are you using grass feed butter? The kerrygold tastes so much different from regular butter. I don't use butter in it anymore maybe once in a while. I also add stevia drops and cocoa powder to mine too.

I used President. Could be why. I'll try Kerrygold next time :)
  • Panda_Poptarts
    Options
    motown13 wrote: »
    I agree, BPC is wretched. Just wretched.

Now ( as of today ) I use coconut oil, and a tiny bit of SF syrup, and no cream at all.

I think I love you. Lol
  • Panda_Poptarts
    Options
    Maximum froth 16g unsalted or salted butter, depending on what you prefer, 8g coconut oil is my standard. Might be worth trying different butter or just HWC if you prefer.

My problem with BPC is that since I started it 5 weeks back I have gained a little weight rather than the all promised wonderment of going even lower carb (<20g) and even higher fat. My weight loss had slowed this year so thought I would try a different strategy but now it is if anything flat to up a little. Calories in constant.

I am trying intermittent fasting today, so I have no doubt the calories will balance out. I did the "original" recipe. 2tbsp butter, 35g coconut oil (but over standard), 2oz cream, olsplit between 2 cups. I am so full, wich I suppose is the point.
  • Panda_Poptarts
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »

BPC sucks.

Gasp! ;)

I tend to go with coconut oil for mine. I haven't actually tried butter yet. Perhaps just use that if you need fats.

Or better yet, make a coconut oil fat bomb.

I'm trying the intermittent fasting thing, and figured I should go all the way. Seriously awful though, but I choked it down! I really prefer coconut oil and HWC in my coffee / tea.
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    I don't use near as much lol maybe that's why
  • megemrj
    megemrj Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    I do bpc a little unconventionally. I'm constantly picked on about it here:
    2 cups coffee
    1-2 tsp homemade ghee (occasionally) or 1 TBS mct oil (also occasionally)
    2 sprinkles powdered cinnamon
    1 tsp vanilla extract
    1 square (10g) lindt 85-90% dark chocolate
    20 drops vitamin d3 with mct oil
    1/2 tsp sweetleaf stevia
    Blend in my blender for about 30-40 secs until well incorporated
    Add after blending, 2 tsp heavy whipping cream until frothy
    Add 1 cup ice and blend until ice is gone

Pour & enjoy - I don't normally like the taste of coffee so this helps me. I usually enjoy this with an egg or two and piece of bacon or two. I switch up the bacon and eggs by one or two each to not be bored.

Another thing that helped me adapt to the bpc was to progressively add the ghee or mct oil. 1 tsp on day 1 & 2, then 2 tsps in day 3 & 4. And so forth until u are where u want to be.
  • Panda_Poptarts
    Options
    megemrj wrote: »
    I do bpc a little unconventionally. I'm constantly picked on about it here:
    2 cups coffee
    1-2 tsp homemade ghee (occasionally) or 1 TBS mct oil (also occasionally)
    2 sprinkles powdered cinnamon
    1 tsp vanilla extract
    1 square (10g) lindt 85-90% dark chocolate
    20 drops vitamin d3 with mct oil
    1/2 tsp sweetleaf stevia
    Blend in my blender for about 30-40 secs until well incorporated
    Add after blending, 2 tsp heavy whipping cream until frothy
    Add 1 cup ice and blend until ice is gone

Pour & enjoy - I don't normally like the taste of coffee so this helps me. I usually enjoy this with an egg or two and piece of bacon or two. I switch up the bacon and eggs by one or two each to not be bored.

Another thing that helped me adapt to the bpc was to progressively add the ghee or mct oil. 1 tsp on day 1 & 2, then 2 tsps in day 3 & 4. And so forth until u are where u want to be.

That sounds yummy!
  • megemrj
    megemrj Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    It really is. Up until 2 wks ago, most of my macros came from bpc. Through trial and error with my workout schedule, I found I enjoy eating breakfast with my bpc.

Up until 2 wks ago, I was using the same bpc ingredients above but instead of occasionally using ghee and mct oil I used 1 TBS of each every morning.
  • kZorel
    kZorel Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I was a straight black coffee drinker for years but now I love my butter coffee in the morning - no sweetener. That said I have run out of butter from grass fed cow's milk in the past and it doesn't taste nearly as good to use regular butter. I use Rolling Meadow unsalted or Kiwi Pure unsalted (1 tbsp) with MCT oil (1 tbsp) and put it in the blender for about 40 seconds. Some days I don't get hungry until dinner time.
  • erinseattle
    erinseattle Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I do 1 TB coconut oil and 1 TB HWC to 12 oz of coffee.

My secret to this woe: I have to love whatever I'm ingesting in order to keep this lifestyle.
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    I understand. I've been grossed out by it BEFORE. I had to start with just HWC and and a tiny bit of coconut oil and gradually increase that. I finally found kerrygold butter recently and I agree it tastes much better than regular, but I still only put about 1 tsp of that.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    If you want to drink BPC so that you can incorporate intermittent fasting, there's a few things that will be helpful to know.
    First, true fasting Is consuming nothing but water. BUT, drinking bulletproof style coffee seems to allow the fasting state to remain and provide some food for energy and satiety to make it easier to do.
    However, if you add HWC to the coffee, you break the fast. The carbs and dairy proteins that it has start up digestion and trigger insulin and you're no longer in a fasted state. Same with artificial sweeteners.

As far as the taste... Did you use salted or unsalted butter? This is more likely than the brand you use to be the issue. Some people like salted, like me, but most use unsalted. Plus, combining HWC and the other 2 ingredients might just be overwhelming and could also contribute to the bad taste.
  • ogmomma2012
    ogmomma2012 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Try some "Rocket Fuel" instead, no butter needed. http://www.healthfulpursuit.com/2015/04/rocket-fuel-latte/
  • suesuarez
    suesuarez Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I made and had my first coffee with 2tbs (grass fed, unsalted, local) butter. I used an immersion blender to emulsify it.
    It was interesting And certainly not terrible.
    Other than the coffee flavor, it tasted nothing like a latte.
    I look forward to going back to HWC and Splenda tomorrow. I think I missed the one bit of sweet I have.