Difficulty losing weight with Coeliacs disease

Options
Can anyone advise me regarding your difficulties losing weight on a gluten free diet. Lost weight at the start then just piled on 20 kilograms and cant get it off.

Replies

• FreshSage
    FreshSage Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    it can happen... calories are still calories ... like you an initial loss just from getting the gluten out then it stiopped then I gained... For me the prepacked GF products were my down fall
  • shaneriordan67
    shaneriordan67 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Gluten free takeaway has been my weakness. Im finding I'm having sugar cravings as well. I need to do something to lose this weight.
  • AutumnBreeze07
    AutumnBreeze07 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Gluten free foods usually carry more calories than their regular counterparts. They also have higher carb loads than whole grain versions -- lack of fiber that would otherwise help keep blood sugar in check. I'm guessing that when you first went on a GF diet, you had cut down on calories, and now that you have found more GF options, you are probably eating a lot of processed foods again. I can't eat processed foods, and GF foods are worse for me! I feel better eating GF foods, but the higher carb load makes me pack on weight faster than the regular foods.
  • BoomstickChik
    BoomstickChik Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I haven't had difficulty. My celiac diagnosis was a blessing. I was struggling for 8 years gaining, gaining, not losing. All blamed on my Hashimotos.

Lost 49 lb since my diagnosis Feb 2015, and I have a 5 month old.

Many people gain eating the "gluten free" processed replacement junk.
  • shaneriordan67
    shaneriordan67 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Yeah I need to monitor what I eat more. Im trying to eat breakfast more often as well as having a healthy lunch. I have to star t eating a healthier dinner
  • allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    I don't have celiac's but I do have issues with wheat...so I make my own GF items from whole grain, vs the usual rice. For whatever reason, the storebought/processed GF items don't agree with me. With that said, I have to keep a lower-than-before thyroid issues calorie intake PLUS I have to make every effort to keep active in order for me to lose any weight at all. My calorie intake is generated by hunger signals. usually I am hungry enough and eat all of my calories for the day by 1-3pm and then nothing at night. for whatever reason, that is working for me. If that means I scarfed 900+cal for "lunch" then that's what it is. Dinner time am not hungry at all. I have tried spreading out the same amount of calories during the day and for months absolutely no weight loss at all. So for ME, switching it up to eat when I'm hungry and then NOT eating when NOT hungry fixed that problem. As for the activity, I do alot of cycling. I can't lose an ounce on just calorie cutting alone which sucks, so I do a fair amount of bike riding at a pretty good pace. I have the time, the bike, and the energy. So really, I have no excuse.

As for you saying you need to monitor your daily intake, weighing & logging your daily food is a crucial step in getting to your goal. Without weighing and logging, I would just be kidding myself.
    Good luck to you.