Rockingthechange's OMAD Journey

Options
rockingthechange
rockingthechange Posts: 5 Member
edited March 2016 in Social Groups
I am excited to join this group!!!!
I have been flirting with the idea of OMAD not just for weight loss but for eventual weight maintenance as well.
I lost 60 pounds by eating within the boundaries of hunger and fullness but when I had to go back on steroids for a flare and started Lyrica and Cymbalta for pain relief, I lost control of my body's signals and gave into my incessant junk and "desire to eat for no reason at all" cravings.
Soooo, needless to say...I need to lose some weight again.
I have been dabbling with alternating lower calorie days with higher calorie days and throwing an occasional 18 to 24 hour fast in for good measure.
I am 42 now and had a hysterectomy several years ago and I feel as if OMAD and fasting is what will help me get the rest of this weight off once and for all.
But, what is important for me is developing self discipline and self control.
After my foray into eating too much again, I felt as if I lost all control.
The little bit of caloric cycling and modified fasting I have done has given me confidence to believe that I can regain self control again.
I have lost weight with the caloric cycling but I can't stop thinking about living an "OMAD-IC" lifestyle.
For me, this way of eating will allow me to enjoy my food, eat dinner with my family and eat out with friends and never have to say "I can't eat that because I am on a diet".
My only problem has been lunch.
It's my hardest meal to resist.
Many days lunch has been my only meal.
However, I want that "only meal" to be dinner!
I keep giving in to societal pressure and the desire to eat.
I would like to eat the occasional lunch with my coworkers because I WANT to not because I am giving in to my desire to eat lunch or participate in ordering delicious food because everyone else is.
Any tips on skipping that meal would be greatly appreciated!!!
Today, I had lunch and that will be my only meal for the day but tomorrow I would really, really, really love to skip lunch and just eat dinner and let that become my daily eating pattern unless I make a conscious, deliberate choice to eat at a different time for social reasons because it's important for me.
Fingers crossed I can do this!

Replies

• arguablysamson
    arguablysamson Posts: 1,706 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Hi, Rocking.

I, too, know what it's like to use Lyrica and a few other serious pain drugs. In 2011, I had my left foot rebuilt--3 months out of work and stuck at home. Developed a vicoden addiction in 2006 because of the foot. And yes, medicine can seriously mess with your body's hunger signals. I went from 345 to 360+ during those years. Sometimes, there isn't much that can be done...except have a rock-solid eating routine to never let things like this get out of control. OMAD is perfect for that.

What I'd advise is to try eating your meal in the mid-mornings, before the typical lunch window, which should make the cravings more manageable. Have your first window 9 am to 1 pm, preferably consuming your food in the early part of that timeframe. I've done it and it makes a difference!
  • Missbricker
    Missbricker Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Welcome, Rocking. I new to this way of eating, but like you, I think it is just what I need. Best of luck and look forward to helping each other.
  • rockingthechange
    Options
    Thank you for the encouragement and support. I do believe that OMAD is a perfect way to have a rock solid eating routine when dealing with some external factors that are out of your control: Illness, injury, medication, etc.

You have so much information, I am excited that others are pursuing this lifestyle. It really is very exciting.

But I don't want to eat during the day! Lol.
    I really want to just resist eating throughout the day and eat with my family at dinnertime.
    That is my ultimate goal.

I'll try your suggestion about the earlier eating window.

Thank you!
  • Lipka1le
    Lipka1le Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the encouragement and support. I do believe that OMAD is a perfect way to have a rock solid eating routine when dealing with some external factors that are out of your control: Illness, injury, medication, etc.

You have so much information, I am excited that others are pursuing this lifestyle. It really is very exciting.

I really want to just resist eating throughout the day and eat with my family at dinnertime.

Thank you!

If you are unable to resist the urge during lunch then try to have a dish of fruit during lunch and stick to only that. That way you are not consuming to many calories, you are able to "do" lunch with the friends and you are having your main meal with family at night. But be aware that a lot of what omad stands for is the actions your body is forced to take during the fast such as finding a fuel source, stability of insulin levels, ect.

Don't let lunch with the girls be the reason you are unable to reach your goals. Do strict omad for 2-4 weeks and then you can incorporate a lunch with CO workers once a week as a cheat day if needed.
  • vrojapu
    vrojapu Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Hi, @rocking, drinking a large green tea while coworkers eat has been helpful to me personally. I get to socialize, sit at the table with them, and drink while they lunch so I feel I'm participating. And the green tea keeps the hunger pangs at bay till later in the day. Hope this helps. Welcome to the OMAD group and journey!
  • totaloblivia
    totaloblivia Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    @vrojapu gives good advice!

Sometimes I have diet coke when in the office with co workers - I know it isn't the most healthy beverage, but it is my lunchtime treat. Having said that, I am going out for lunch next Thursday with colleagues and will eat both at lunch and dinner, but trying to keep both meals a bit lighter rather than my usual 1500kcal dinner!
  • blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    Options
    Lipka1le wrote: »

Thank you!

If you are unable to resist the urge during lunch then try to have a dish of fruit during lunch and stick to only that. That way you are not consuming to many calories, you are able to "do" lunch with the friends and you are having your main meal with family at night. But be aware that a lot of what omad stands for is the actions your body is forced to take during the fast such as finding a fuel source, stability of insulin levels, ect.

Don't let lunch with the girls be the reason you are unable to reach your goals. Do strict omad for 2-4 weeks and then you can incorporate a lunch with CO workers once a week as a cheat day if needed.

I think all real good advice. I decided I would allow once a week co-worker lunches (it is usually every other week). I usually eat a salad with some meat so I'm not getting a lot of carbs.
  • Missbricker
    Missbricker Posts: 29 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I believe everyone should do what works for them.. We all want to lose weight and get healthy, but part of that is having lunch and dinner at times with friends, family and co-workers. As long as it doesn't get in the way of the big picture (getting control of eating). Do your thing. If you see it is impacting your goal negatively make adjustments to the plan. Sounds like good advice, I hope I can follow it, lol.
  • rockingthechange
    Options
    Thank you everyone! All of you have such great suggestions! After reading all your replies, I don't know why I make everything so complicated! I will aim for OMAD but will allow an occasional lunch with my coworkers or brunch on the weekend with family. I will keep my calories on the low side the days I do happen to eat more than one meal. I realized that doing this even 75% of the time is better than doing nothing all of the time!!!! I wanted to be a purest, no diet sodas, sugar free gums or sugar free mints or artificial sweeteners but I have come to the conclusion that it does not have to be all or nothing. My recent weight gain is a heck of a lot more dangerous than a can of diet coke at lunch. I already am going to have weight loss that is a little slower than normal. I'm menopausal, in my 40's and take medication. I am not going sweat the small stuff as long as I keep my focus and work on eating one meal a day most days of the week. So grateful for this group!
  • arguablysamson
    arguablysamson Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone! All of you have such great suggestions! After reading all your replies, I don't know why I make everything so complicated! I will aim for OMAD but will allow an occasional lunch with my coworkers or brunch on the weekend with family. I will keep my calories on the low side the days I do happen to eat more than one meal. I realized that doing this even 75% of the time is better than doing nothing all of the time!!!! I wanted to be a purest, no diet sodas, sugar free gums or sugar free mints or artificial sweeteners but I have come to the conclusion that it does not have to be all or nothing. My recent weight gain is a heck of a lot more dangerous than a can of diet coke at lunch. I already am going to have weight loss that is a little slower than normal. I'm menopausal, in my 40's and take medication. I am not going sweat the small stuff as long as I keep my focus and work on eating one meal a day most days of the week. So grateful for this group!

There...NOW you are beginning to understand! :-)
  • blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    You may gain a couple of lbs of food and water weight after eating an additional meal but back on the diet in two days and it will be gone so DON'T get discouraged if you see that kind if temporary weight gain if you have an off day. Of course don't put a bunch of cheat days in a row or you could get real fat gain.