Welcome

Options
mweckler
mweckler Posts: 623 Member
Hello and welcome please take a minute to introduce yourself and share your story.

Replies

• daniellethesheep
    daniellethesheep Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    My name is Danielle and I'm a college student and marathon runner. I lost about 40 points when I started running in high school and ate very healthy for the next few years. Freshman year of college I gained the "freshman 15" then lost it the following summer as I trained for a marathon.i ran my first marathon in a time of 3:32, qualifying me for this years Boston Marathon (~60 days away). Following the marathon I developed an injury, then turned to binge eating for emotional reasons and due to the fact I was up not eating as much as I should have been. Since qualifying for Boston I have had about 7 different injuries and become pretty depressed from the lack of running. I've gained about 30 pounds, and am absolutely terrified that my ultimate goal race is in 60 days and I'm heavier than ever and can't seem to control what I eat at all.
  • mweckler
    Options
    Hello Danielle and welcome. I am sorry to hear about your struggles and injuries.
  • lynzieryn
    lynzieryn Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm Lindsay and I am going through a daily struggle of anxiety and binge eating. I'm also a runner and exercise to burn off all the extra calories I take in. I weigh around 140 and get so angry with myself to wake up and find I've gained even the smallest number of lbs. I also dislike the way I feel. I've been secretly going through this for about a year and just this week spoke to my doctor about it. She changed me from lexapro to zoloft because she believes it's all anxiety related. I'm just waiting to see if it improves. I just want to be able to talk to those who have the same negative feelings and see what they do to cope.
  • mweckler
    Options
    So the change in medicine most likely will not be noticeable for a few weeks. So trying to find the cause of your anxiety is key. Also weight will fluctuate daily so a swing of a pound or three is a normal part of being alive. Many thing can influence weight. How much water you have taken in, if you ate a high sodium meal, exercise, and for women your monthly hormonal shift can all make your weight fluctuate. Find one day of the week and make that your weigh-in day. Try to weigh yourself once a week at the same time of day wearing the same thing you previously wore to weigh in. Daily weigh ins can almost be maddening.
  • mweckler
    Options
    My name is Danielle and I'm a college student and marathon runner. I lost about 40 points when I started running in high school and ate very healthy for the next few years. Freshman year of college I gained the "freshman 15" then lost it the following summer as I trained for a marathon.i ran my first marathon in a time of 3:32, qualifying me for this years Boston Marathon (~60 days away). Following the marathon I developed an injury, then turned to binge eating for emotional reasons and due to the fact I was up not eating as much as I should have been. Since qualifying for Boston I have had about 7 different injuries and become pretty depressed from the lack of running. I've gained about 30 pounds, and am absolutely terrified that my ultimate goal race is in 60 days and I'm heavier than ever and can't seem to control what I eat at all.

What sort of injuries did you sustain? I am not a runner and joke that if you ever do see me running you should run too as someone is chasing me. But be proud in the fact that you qualified for the Boston marathon, that is a huge accomplishment. A lot can change in 60 days. We are all here to support and help in any way that we can. Do your injuries prevent you from walking/running? Even moving a little a day can help to start losing weight.
  • daniellethesheep
    daniellethesheep Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I've had a lot of different injuries but the ones that affected me most were stress fractures/stress reactions, because at that point you can't run and shouldn't exercise. I'm getting back to running now and have made a lot of progress in increasing my activity but I can't get my eating under control. I run and stationary bike quite a bit. I'm afraid that if I keep gaining, I'll get another stress fracture from increasing the impact so much.
  • irishjeepgirl1969
    irishjeepgirl1969 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Hey, y'all. My name is Kelly. I just turned 47, and I have been binge eating since childhood. My earliest memory of it was being told that while everybody else could have seconds of ice cream, I couldn't because I was getting too porky. I remember standing in the kitchen crying and making the decision that when I grew up, I would eat anything I wanted and as much as I wanted.

I look back at pictures and do not see a fat girl. In fact, in 1975, I won a beauty pageant. But my grandmother (an army nurse) always had me on diets. The rice diet, the egg & grapefruit diets, the boiled fish diet....

When she died, I lived with my mother and older brother, both of whom were alcoholics. Mom was a morose, sad drunk. Brother was belligerent and violent. We lived in squalor and poverty. Food was always the only thing that there was enough of. I ate and lived out of control and unsupervised from age 12 until about age 17. I don't have any photos of myself from those years, so no clue if I really was fat or not. My wonderful brother constantly told me how fat, stupid, and ugly I was, so that is what I believed about myself and I still do.

I somehow married a wonderful guy. I have a sweet twelve year old daughter who I love. I have two jobs that I love, two dogs, a church family and circle of friends who love and support me. But I still binge.

I began 2014 at (I am guesstimating) 300+ pounds. I got the binging under control and joined a gym! I love exercising! I lost down to 190 pounds and plateaued. Then I was triggered over the summer. Still, I held on and maintained until the holidays hit. Between Dec and the end of January, I jumped back up to 225.

I am now at 210. I can control the binging for a few days to a week and then something happens. This weekend, doughnuts were brought into my house. Not by me.

In the past two years, I have regained my life. I've been a part of my family's life rather that being apart from it. We've gone hiking, biking, roller skating, and done all of the active, fun things that families do together. I feel like I have gotten my life back in the last two years. And now I am seeing it slowly slip away again.

How do I stop this craziness? How do I keep living. I can't go back.

• mweckler
    Options
    Irishjeep you need to find the source of the eating. Is it emotional based? Start a journal and see what is going on when you feel the urge to binge. See if you can start to notice a pattern.
  • pey_love
    pey_love Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks for putting this together. I was diagnosed with BED about 6 years ago and it continues to be a battle with every emotional struggle. I have been binge free for about 2 months after starting keto and opening up to some close friends about my disorder. This is the first time I've joined a group or introduced myself in this way-- but for some reason feel empowered to do so tonight. Here for anyone who needs a partner/support system. ❤️
  • annkatqq
    annkatqq Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi guys. I'm Katherine. I haven't been diagnosed with BED but I have an extremely hard time controlling what I eat. I dieted for about 2 months recently, then gave myself a cheat day on Superbowl Sunday, and haven't been able to stop overeating since. I really need some support & advice because this is honestly consuming my life. All I think about is my next meal and when I'm going to have the time to try to exercise to burn off all the extra calories I ate. If anyone has any advice, I'm willing to listen so please reach out to me if u have anything to say!
  • mweckler
    Options
    Hello @annkatqq and thank you for finding us. I was the same way, I would eat good, and go to the gym and be healthy, and think I can handle a cheat meal, which turned into a cheat day/week/month. Even if I allowed myself the cheat day, and I would then go back to eating healthy and working out I found myself over eating on junk food and hiding that from my family, I would eat what I could after everyone went to sleep, or alone in my car and I never recorded how much I really ate. I would track when I was healthy but when I binged I would stop tracking out of feeling ashamed. I was only recently diagnosed with B.E.D. But you do not have to be diagnosed to find help and support within the group. All are welcome, I started this group to make more people aware of this disorder, in the hopes it would allow people who felt like I did, alone and overwhelmed with why they were eating like they were, to get some answers. So welcome and feel free to ask questions, and read the links posted and share your successes and failures alike.
  • FAVteach1
    FAVteach1 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi there! My name is Lori and I am a mommy to two, wife, teacher and mentor to youth at my church. Life has always been a struggle to me inside my head, others see me one way and I see myself another. I never feel like I can do it right or good enough and always see that the world is against me. This had helped depression and anxiety to take root in me. I had this mentality for as long as I can remember and it lead to binge eating. I wasn't officially diagnosed til about a year and a half ago. I started therapy and have gotten better but still have a way to go. I joined up to help keep myself heading in the right direction. I started taking exercise classes in the morning with another friend and that has been working out great! I am excited to get moving in the right direction and feel good and be healthy.
  • mweckler
    Options
    Welcome and thank you for finding us. I hope you can find accountability and support here, as well as sharing some things that have helped you to start to overcome and get healthier.
  • ramandagetsfit
    ramandagetsfit Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hi, my name is Amanda. I have not been diagnosed with BED, but I do have some tendencies of BED. I have been struggling with my weight for the last 6 years, but these past two years my weight has gotten out of control and I gained around 80lbs over the course of two years. I found myself turning to food during stressful situations and I have had many huge stressors over the last two years. My biggest struggle with binging is the obsessive thoughts that go along with it. I'll make good choices for food all day, but I'll be upset about something and I'll obsess about the possibility of binging as soon as I get the chance to be alone. I would then go to fast food and order way too much and eat it all alone in my car.
  • melrose721
    melrose721 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hey I'm Michelle and I've been diagnosed with EDNOS since I was 16. I've struggled with an eating disorder since I can remember and I've been through treatments for it as well. I have patterns of severe restricting followed by intense binges on and off throughout my weeks even months. Literally I'm all over the place. I'm a college student so stress is a huge trigger, not to mention my sleeping patterns are of the wall. Most people know me to be an extremely healthy person because I've been trying really hard to keep a balance and eat like a normal person, but it's very very hard. I've gotten much better with my habits but some days are really rough still. I find it hard to control myself around most unhealthy foods, especially sweets. Fast food used to be a huge binge food for me but for the last year I have made it a point to cut that out of my diet (baby steps!). Now it's group gatherings, parties and outings where I have the most trouble, along with night time cravings <--- can't handle those. Anyway I'm here for support maybe it'll be helpful.
  • irishjeepgirl1969
    irishjeepgirl1969 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    FAVteach1 wrote: »
    Hi there! My name is Lori and I am a mommy to two, wife, teacher and mentor to youth at my church. Life has always been a struggle to me inside my head, others see me one way and I see myself another. I never feel like I can do it right or good enough and always see that the world is against me. This had helped depression and anxiety to take root in me. I had this mentality for as long as I can remember and it lead to binge eating. I wasn't officially diagnosed til about a year and a half ago. I started therapy and have gotten better but still have a way to go. I joined up to help keep myself heading in the right direction. I started taking exercise classes in the morning with another friend and that has been working out great! I am excited to get moving in the right direction and feel good and be healthy.

I can SO relate to what the world sees v/s your inner reality. My co-workers see me as competent, assertive, and as a leader of sorts. Inside, I see a hot mess who says and does all the wrong things. In my church, I continually find myself in leadership positions and I am endlessly amazed. I feel like a fraud because I don't see myself as capable of leading anything other than a binge.

You've come to the right place. Welcome :)

• HorrorGeekLiz
    HorrorGeekLiz Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I'm Liz. I have had a life long battle with depression and binge eating. I was taught to be ashamed of how much I ate from pretty early on, and that started a lifelong unhealthy relationship with food. I ate "normal" in public (basically tiny portions so as not to "seem like a pig") and then binged in secret. In my teen years I exercised enough to keep the weight at bay, but in my twenties, as my untreated depression worsened, so did my binges. Now in my late 30's, I got incredibly close to 300 lbs recently. I'm trying to get this under control. I don't binge nearly as often as I used to, but when I do, it's ugly.

I'm here to confess to people who understand and hopefully learn how to gain control of this. I had an ugly episode this weekend and I'm so ashamed, but I'm also just exhausted with this whole cycle.
  • mweckler
    Options
    Hello @HorrorGeekLiz I am glad you found the group. This group is made up of people all going through similar things as you are/did. Some have been officially diagnosed, others just have not but are still looking for support as they are struggling on their own. This is a tough thing to deal with, as most people are not aware this even exists. Unlike anorexia and bp bulimia which have been talked about for many years, not a lot is out there about B.E.D. So to someone who is not educated it can be hard to explain what is going on when the urge to binge hits, or why we can not control ourselves. But take a look at the posts, share your successes and struggles, and I hope that you can find some coping techniques, and support here.
  • FAVteach1
    FAVteach1 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the welcomes! I am interested in having some friends if anyone is interested :) Not sure how this really works on this site.........
  • mweckler
    Options
    Just like any other site find someone you share a connection with, or have common interests and send a friend request. Just that simple