Owned by Hidden Carbs?!

Options
klkateri
klkateri Posts: 432 Member
FYI - There will be some TMI bathroom issues in there but I need to post them to give you all the information so I can get some advise. Thanks.

So, Saturday afternoon, Hubby and I went out for omelettes from the Pancake House. They are huge and fluffy and tend to fill me up for a good chunk of the day. I got a polish sausage and cheese, Hubby got bacon and we shared (Half to each). I ate about half of each and was stuffed... even felt a touch bloated but stuffed.

After we ate we went and did our normal Saturday running when, a couple hours later I had to run to a restroom as I had a sudden bout of diarrhea. Went, felt better... that was the end of it, had a little gas that evening but felt pretty good overall.

Sunday, woke up bright and early before the Hubby hoping to get everything done around the house before he woke up. Tossed in a load of wash, started dusting and had to run to the loo suddenly again. Had a small BM but then, the most intense and debilitating stomach cramps ever. ended up going back to bed for an hour hoping they would pass.

Fast forward the day... cramps, gas, nausea, repeat. I was hungry and had an appetite but the pain was incredible. Was so miserable I went to bed around 10pm moaning and groaning.

This morning, same pains as last night now in my back still feeling bloated, gross, in pain and still nauseous.

I am wondering how long this will last and how to speed it along. A friend of mine suggested that Original Pancake House, like IHOP, may also put pancake batter in the omelettes as well to fluff them up. I went online and they [pancake house] claim that the omelettes are 6 egg and baked in the oven. However, their menu states they are only 3 eggs that are "whipped". I feel that since both myself and Hubby have been sick after eating them (Him not nearly as bad as me though) that there is more to them then just whipped eggs.

HELP!! I feel awful and just want this to be over! I feel like I'm trying to pass a gassy bowling ball and nothing I've tried so far seems to help (Currently drinking coffee in hopes of it helping things along).

Replies

• ms_smartypants
    ms_smartypants Posts: 8,278 Member
    Options
    I know Denny's and Ihop put pancake batter in their eggs for omelettes ( I have friends that work at both) .....In the past I have told them I just want eggs for my omelettes no pancake batter or whatnot and they ususally do it right ....I hope you feel better soon .....I would eat light for a few days ....broth, soup ( I personally love ruled.me 5 minute keto egg drop )
  • LowCarbInScotland
    LowCarbInScotland Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Definitely looks like they put batter in them. According to their nutritional facts, the omelette alone, with no ingredients, has 7 g carbs - I'm not aware of any eggs or griddle grease that would generate that many carbs :disappointed:

http://www.ihop.com/menus/main-menu/-/media/ihop/PDFs/nutritionalinformation.ashx

That's a bummer, who would have thought there would be hidden carbs like that in an omelette.

Their allergen info is even more eye-opening. All of their omelettes include dairy, soy, wheat and gluten. And grossly enough, apparently the spinach and mushroom one contains fish! WTH?

http://www.ihop.com/menus/main-menu/-/media/ihop/PDFs/allergeninformation.ashx

I think homemade omelettes will be your safest bet :smile: They may take a little work, but at least you'll be safe!

Hope you feel better soon.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I've never heard of this, or thought of this. Thanks for posting. And hope you feel better soon.
  • klkateri
    Options
    We generally have found that eating out really is a hassle so we cook at home but, dang it!! lol, we just wanted to go out and be served and have a nice time. i guess that'll teach us.
  • klkateri
    Options
    Definitely looks like they put batter in them. According to their nutritional facts, the omelette alone, with no ingredients, has 7 g carbs - I'm not aware of any eggs or griddle grease that would generate that many carbs :disappointed:

http://www.ihop.com/menus/main-menu/-/media/ihop/PDFs/nutritionalinformation.ashx

That's a bummer, who would have thought there would be hidden carbs like that in an omelette.

Their allergen info is even more eye-opening. All of their omelettes include dairy, soy, wheat and gluten. And grossly enough, apparently the spinach and mushroom one contains fish! WTH?

If an omelette has wheat and gluten in it, there's a fair bet, at least in my book, that there is batter in them which could be why I'm so sick. I guess from here on in, if I want to eat out I'll stick to the local diner where I know it's just eggs and everything is as it's listed on the menu. Steak is steak, omelettes are eggs and you can see into the kitchen!
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    Oh yes, you've been carbed, and glutened! So sorry you feel so bad!! Next time get the over easy eggs! They can't hide the pancake batter in those! It will pass, but so sorry!!
  • ettaterrell
    ettaterrell Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    Never heard of batter in in eggs wow glad I learned it I really was going to go get some a few weeks ago so glad I didn't!
  • Jan93L
    Jan93L Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Sounds like food poisoning as well as gluten and carbs.
  • kepotak
    kepotak Posts: 10 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Sounds like food poisoning, especially considering it had sausage....bad meat?
  • BRobertson23
    BRobertson23 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    kepotak wrote: »
    Sounds like food poisoning, especially considering it had sausage....bad meat?

I agree...I vote you got some food poisoning, and perhaps the carbs within that mix made it that much worse. So sorry! Hope you feel better soon!
  • bametels
    bametels Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    Never in my wildest dreams would I have thought that pancake batter would be put into an omelette. I'm so sorry that you're not feeling well. Thanks you for sharing your experience as a warning to the rest of us.
  • youngmomtaz
    youngmomtaz Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    Wow, I typically don't state that I am gluten free when ordering eggs. From now on I will if ordering an omlette! So sorry you got sick, I am amazed at what they actually do to our food sometimes.
  • klkateri
    Options
    I don't think food posioning, which, ironically, I got the last time I ate out asi haven't thrown up but I feel like there's a bowling ball in my guts.
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,803 Member
    Options
    Is it possible you have celiac or gluten intolerance? I'm celiac and I will have issues for many days after a glutening.
  • Panda_Poptarts
    Panda_Poptarts Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, most places put pancake batter in their eggs these days. It's just very few who actually advertise it - I think iHOP is one of the only ones. You have to ask for your omelet sans batter, or they fill it up with carbs.

I am in the bathroom all day after an oops too. Hang in there!
  • SamandaIndia
    SamandaIndia Posts: 1,577 Member
    Options
    Sounds like food poisoning. Broth n rest and not too mutch coffee as it too has a poison affect on our bowels and is likely to make ugliness occur behind whatever block you are feeling. Stay hydrated! Lots of water and matching electrolytes. Good luck. Thxs for sharing. In USA this week n now know to ask!
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    Ugh, I'm sorry!!
  • mandycat223
    mandycat223 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    It's hard to be safe safe eating out anywhere. What's filling and good for the restaurant's bottom line? Carbs. What plumps up processed foods and is good for the manufacturer's bottom line? Carbs. Who are the only ones who really care about our health and well being? Us.
  • klkateri
    Options
    This experience has been an eye opener for sure!! It goes to show that you really have to watch everything and, it makes me angry for people who have real food allergies or issues. I have two friends with Celiac and can't even image how something like this could have really hurt them. Sure, I wasn't exactly in heaven either but my body healed up and moved on in a weekend. If there was ever a case for eating only at local, non chain restaurants, I think that was it. I went today out for lunch and where I went had a steak in the grass flatbread... managed to get them to make me a steak in the grass salad instead. Was I getting looks from my lunch companions.. nope, they know and understand and no one in line cared either as they were on their phone.

Point of the story then is that I have to also be willing to state clearly what I want in regards to my food and to be willing to speak up!!