What's in your backpack?

Options
momwow17
momwow17 Posts: 1,653 Member
A thread for discussing what gear, food, equipment or other favorite necessities (or non essentials) you're carrying on your trip.

Replies

• momwow17
    Options
    ot7fcitp90l6.jpg

In other threads people like to post pix of their food, I thought why not here? Here's what I'm taking on a 4-hour fairly easy hike today . Total calories =640.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    In my daypack or overnight?
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    I usually do energy bars and fruit for day hikes.

Overnights, I'll usually do oatmeal with raisins for breakfast; beans, rice, noodles with various spices for dinner; and energy bars, trail mix, and jerky for during the day.

The key is that I will cook at camp at night, and I will cook at camp for breakfast (assuming I'm not pushing to get started right away), but not during the day. I just got a dehydrator, though, so I'm going to try to experiment with various foods. I already have the gourmet stove (MSR Dragonfly), but I haven't yet figured out how to make dehydrated carrot cake in a way that tastes excellent - seriously, I've heard of someone doing this and I totally believe it since this is a guy that eats fancier on the trail than I usually eat at home.

I'm doing a 6-day hike in Nov., and starting right now to experiment with my dehydrator. For now, just red beans and rice (so I can make my own that cook fast rather than buying the expensive hiker pantry stuff).
  • momwow17
    Options
    In my daypack or overnight?

Both and not just food, but your favorite equipment too.
  • momwow17
    Options
    @midwesterner85 when you find the recipe for carrot cake I hope you will share. I got a dehydrator recently and I think there's an art to getting the food just right, which I haven't figured out yet. Hope yours turns out well.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    Yea, I don't know... the story is he somehow made carrot cake, dehydrated it, then rehydrated it on the trail. Cooking gourmet on the trail is an art. I am not artistic, lol.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    I never go without my Kindle. Or my inflatable pillow. Both are in my pack right now as I head up to the Sierra for the weekend.
  • worstcaster
    worstcaster Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Compass, map, GPS, water, snack (if it is a long hike), first aid kit, nitrile gloves, zip locks (for field dressed game), paranoid, and fire starter.
  • jenglish712
    jenglish712 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Nothing right now. I have 2 25 milers (one overnight and one 3 day) in the next two months I will try to post pics of.

The overall answer is less and less. I used to carry a whole bunch of stuff in a 65l pack strapped up with gear like the Beverly Hillbillys truck. ANymore it's like a fresh baselayer to sleep in, socks, underwear and dehyudrated food/water. Typically oats and dehyudrated coffee for breakfast, some kinda quick boiling starch like noodles, stovetop stuffing, instant mashed potatoes etc for dinner. Little jet boil knock off and fuel. 1 aluminum pot and plastic cup, plastic spork.

usually it's MINI bic, my Morakniv, a couple of 750ml bottles of water, 300 mL water bottle refilled with Wild Turkey, alcohol gel.

To sleep it my down sleeping bag, cheap closed cell foam pad and a sheet of 3.5 mil plastic I have taped and grommeted into a 2 man steep pitched shelter to set up on trek poles.
  • jenglish712
    Options
    Oh, and if I do a 5 mile or less I take nothing but my truck key.
  • Cheesy567
    Cheesy567 Posts: 1,186 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    -Coleman F1 mini stove with butane canister
    -MSR sweet water filter
    - small, "flat" tea kettle for boiling water, I forget the brand. (Stove, lighter, and spices fit inside)
    - Dehydrated freezer-bag cooking meals
    - Down bag, insulated air pad
    - Several bandanas, use them for hundreds of things (covering sweatshirt for a pillow, straining water, sleeves to prevent sunburn, etc)
    - Map, compass, emergency whistle, bear bell if needed
    - Paracord, small pulley for hanging bear bag, caribeaners (sp?)
    - Emergency kit of a silver mummy bag, sewing kit, zip ties (for snowshoe repairs mostly), chlorine tablets, small flashlight, small whistle. Throw this in my pocket when I go away from camp.
    - First aid kit
    - Floss. It can fix anything that duct tape can't.
    - Cash and a credit card.

My "splurges" based on weight:
    -Coffee
    -a card game and/or dice game
    -a small book
    -extra socks (I cannot tolerate cold feet!)
    -extra winter hat regardless of season (for if my feet get cold!)
  • jenglish712
    Options
    Haven't started packing my food yet for October but I was down looking at my internal frame backpack. I looked over at my wife's cheapo Outdoor products with semi- rigid strips. Got out my scale and my framed pack weighs 6 lbs. My wife's pack with my shelter, sleeping pad, and 20F bag in it weighs under 8#. I am thinking with all dehydrated food, no water filter, couple water bottles and synthetic clothing I may slide under 25# from a few years ago rolling at 50#.

• undergloom
    undergloom Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    20z1ukg.jpg
    My load-out for a 2+ night trip. Food, water filter, shelter, liquor, cigars, cookpot, headlamp, camera, extra socks, rain jacket/pants, and a few survival tools that I keep on my person just in case I lose my pack for some improbable reason.
  • stang02
    stang02 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    undergloom wrote: »
    20z1ukg.jpg
    My load-out for a 2+ night trip. Food, water filter, shelter, liquor, cigars, cookpot, headlamp, camera, extra socks, rain jacket/pants, and a few survival tools that I keep on my person just in case I lose my pack for some improbable reason.

Looks like you've got some Oliva's in that pack. Maybe a couple Melanio Torpedos and a Serie G?? :)
  • undergloom
    undergloom Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    stang02 wrote: »
    Looks like you've got some Oliva's in that pack. Maybe a couple Melanio Torpedos and a Serie G?? :)

Impressively well-spotted :smile: