Logging food on MFP makes me feel obsessive.

Options
2»

Replies

• tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    I used to track when I first started (I never weighed, just measured or eyeballed). Once I got to the point where I really had a feel for what foods I can eat with reckless abandon, what foods I can have, but need to watch portions/frequency, and what foods to avoid pretty much altogether, I stopped logging. I will check in from time to time and log a day, just to see how I'm doing, but I can't imagine logging every day for the rest of my life. So I don't.
  • wishfullthinking79
    wishfullthinking79 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Oh man. i have to log everything. Like others have mentioned I eat a lot of the same kinds of food. I know what 4 oz of fish looks like. I think it keeps me aware of what I am putting in my body. Weighing and logging my food is what has helped me lose almost 17 pounds. If I am looking to try something different I look it up first. If the numbers do not look good I do not eat it. I am already obssessive in other areas of my life. Why not do it when it really matters. My health is so important so I look at it as time well spent. I am invested in me!!
  • dtobio
    dtobio Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I remember in college we did an experiment where you partnered up with someone for 8 hours. You wrote down everything your partner ate. On the following day, you wrote down what you remembered eating. It wasn't uncommon for people to forget 1/3 or more of what they ate.

I weigh/ measure most foods and it's worth it to me to take the extra few seconds to log them. I like being able to see if there's a pattern when things don't go the way I expected or if other changes occur.

• sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    I also have a crappy short term memory so what I usually do when I am cooking is write down the food and the amounts I measured up on a piece of paper and then enter it into a recipe on MFP. Then I portion it out for meal preps and it helps with pre-logging.

It is also helpful because then my food doesn't accidentally burn as I am logging.
  • mlinton_mesapark
    mlinton_mesapark Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I tried giving up logging recently, and it proved to be too slippery a slope for me. I don't benefit from trying to get really exact with logging, but the act of simply noting everything I eat and drink all day tends to keep me on plan.
  • nicintime
    nicintime Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Logging is easy.

I do it because I want objective measurements.

If I have results I like or love, I want to know WHY!!! No guessing!

Knowledge is power in this regard.

So logging is a privilege not a punishment.

Just eating without attention is what got me to 350+ pounds. No more!

And as I near maintenance logging will increase as I experiment.

Small price to pay for health!
  • tigakai
    tigakai Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Weighing food and tracking calories helped me with portion sizing. I tend to overeat and would mis-estimate a lot until I started to measure. Yeah it might 'feel' a certain way, people might think its weird. A lot of armchair psychiatrists over the internet would say its ED activity. Well, it works. I don't care if its not convenient, or weird. Not fitting into my pants any more sure is a lot less convenient than measuring what I fuel myself with. Measuring works for me and that's why I do it.
  • DorkothyParker
    DorkothyParker Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I don't mind logging, but I don't weigh. I know it's not precise. There are some things I use measuring utensils for. But on the other hand. If I know the total in the ingredients (like the kimchi fried cauliflower rice I'm making tonight), I roughly divide it into X servings and figure it's close enough.

I have enough of a deficit to cover 100 kcal give or take and truthfully it's not like I subtract calories when I don't eat all my food. It's a wash.

Similarly, when I have something at work that I eat over 3 days, I divide it into 3 rough servings. If my last serving is smaller than my first, it doesn't matter. I don't think my body knows that I ate 400 calories for lunch one day, 300 another, and 200 another. I log the 300 all three days.

Other people may disagree, but I am comfortable with this. I don't sneak carbs though. I'm firm on that!
  • dtobio
    dtobio Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    nicintime wrote: »
    Logging is easy.

I do it because I want objective measurements.

If I have results I like or love, I want to know WHY!!! No guessing!

Knowledge is power in this regard.

So logging is a privilege not a punishment.

Just eating without attention is what got me to 350+ pounds. No more!

And as I near maintenance logging will increase as I experiment.

Small price to pay for health!

I might frame this!
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I can't stand the thought of not weighing and logging.. If I didn't I'd just be winging it and hope I'm coming in close. I need the reassurance of seeing that data everyday and knowing I'm on the right track.
    I also have a fitbit, and I'd be a blithering mess without that too lol

I've done a few tests over time.. I'd guess the weight of things and then weigh it. Each and every time I waaay underestimated it. If I went to eyeballing/estimating foods I'd put on weight toot sweet, and not knowing the where's or why's would drive me nuts.