A book on Keto is OK with the 80/20 rule?

Options
motown13
motown13 Posts: 688 Member
edited March 2016 in Social Groups
I am reading a book on keto and and one point the author says something like this "Don't beat yourself up if you falter. As long as you follow the 80 /20 rule, you are doing pretty well."

That was heavily paraphrased, but for those who don't know the 80 / 20 rule, it is basically this : If you are doing it right 80% of the time, but not doing it right 20% of the time, you are OK.

This doesn't make sense to me for someone following a keto WoE.

Replies

• Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    The problem with such a thing is we generally still want 100% results.
    That's where it's a real issue. Then we blame the process...
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    I think it makes sense. I see many putting incredible pressure on themselves to be perfect on this woe or really any way of eating then beat themselves up when they falter. They feel like failures and sometimes give up.

It's a good reminder that even if you do stumble you're doing better than you were before.

I'd like to read the full context of the statement though.
  • motown13
    Options
    I guess I think differently since I not only have weight to lose, but have diabetes.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    motown13 wrote: »
    I guess I think differently since I not only have weight to lose, but have diabetes.

That's the big difference there. I think the rules are slightly different for people using this woe as a weight loss tool, than those who are doing keto to manage health conditions.

If I go over my carb limit on occasion it doesn't affect me one way or the other. But if I had diabetes, PCOS etc etc then I would be more likely to stick to the 100% rule.
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options

That's the big difference there. I think the rules are slightly different for people using this woe as a weight loss tool, than those who are doing keto to manage health conditions.

If I go over my carb limit on occasion it doesn't affect me one way or the other. But if I had diabetes, PCOS etc etc then I would be more likely to stick to the 100% rule.

Good point.
    I initially started it mostly for weight loss but now for other health reasons, too. But now I'm experimenting to see what level of low carb I need to be to get the other health benefits.
  • LowCarbInScotland
    LowCarbInScotland Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options

I think you hit the nail on the head there. That's like taking your meds 80% of the time and expecting not to have problems. If I had big carb blowouts 20% of the time I would never see results, it takes me two weeks to get my blood sugar back on track if I hit 100 grams. I'd always be off track if I ate poorly 20% of the time.
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options

I am with @Christine_72. We all have different reasons why we turned to this WOE and we all have different ways in which we live it. So not all rules and suggestions are going to be good for everyone.
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    It's just a way of eating. Nobody complies 100% to a way of eating. Do you think our ancestors needed to count carbs or calories to avoid diabetes? Nope, they did fine by simply eating real food instead of Oreo cookies. :)

The only problem with going "off plan" 20% of the time is that most people who do that end up increasing the off-plan eating to 40%, 80%, and eventually 100%. If you make low-carb a habit, it's not hard to hit 95% compliance or so.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    wabmester wrote: »
    It's just a way of eating. Nobody complies 100% to a way of eating. Do you think our ancestors needed to count carbs or calories to avoid diabetes? Nope, they did fine by simply eating real food instead of Oreo cookies. :)

The only problem with going "off plan" 20% of the time is that most people who do that end up increasing the off-plan eating to 40%, 80%, and eventually 100%. If you make low-carb a habit, it's not hard to hit 95% compliance or so.

So true!

I don't have diabetes but I'm not about to try to eat things that I know aren't good for me just because they'll taste good for the few minutes they're in my mouth. That just seems silly to me. Especially when I have other options that won't do a number on my body.
    And because I am a sugar addict, there is no such thing as addiction in moderation.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Yep - 20% is a lot!
  • sault_girl
    sault_girl Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I am reading a book on keto and and one point the author says something like this "Don't beat yourself up if you falter. As long as you follow the 80 /20 rule, you are doing pretty well."

That was heavily paraphrased, but for those who don't know the 80 / 20 rule, it is basically this : If you are doing it right 80% of the time, but not doing it right 20% of the time, you are OK.

This doesn't make sense to me for someone following a keto WoE.

I think it's more about - Don't let "perfect" be the enemy of "good".

The only problem I have with the "80/20" rule, is that I'm not quite sure how we're measuring that.... is it 80% of each week that is supposed to be followed? 80% of each day? 80% of each meal?
  • motown13
    Options
    wabmester wrote: »

I have so far, but I have to tell you, unless the pounds start dropping off again, I will find it very much harder to follow. But I am only 2 months in.
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    If you're only 2 months in, the pounds will start dropping again. For me, it slowed to a stop around 9 months. That seems to be fairly common, but some keep on losing for over a year.

I know how you love graphs, so here's a typical low-carb weight loss progression. :)

04-Isaac-Knoflicek-Weight-Loss-History-after-starting-PHD.jpg