Omg HELP PLEASE

Options
jocelyn1577
jocelyn1577 Posts: 25 Member
Hi I have been trying to keto adapt for about 3 months , and think I have finally achieved that , my ketones hit 1.7 last night and this am I'm at 2.8 , I would love to be celebrating cause I've worked hard given up foods I enjoy skipped drinking nights & parties to get here , my problem is .... I FEEL SO STONED , pins and needles running thru my body , ( I'm guessing that's the euphoric feeling people talk about ? ) but my pupils are dilated , as if I'm drunk & I feel just really weird , can anyone tell me will this pass ??? I also can not stop drinking water like I've been smoking pot and I have dry mouth , water tastes like liquid gold I can't seem to put the bottle down

Replies

• auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    How much sodium are you getting daily? You sound dehydrated.
  • jocelyn1577
    Options
    A ton , I don't even worry about tracking my salt as I seriously have always over salted my food , I also drink a litre of water daily with BCAAs in it and addition to my over salting my food has additional 430 mg of sodium in it
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you need sodium. The brain fog, "stoned" feeling is from your body's dehydrated state. Even though you are drinking lots of water, it's the water making it worse! Every time you pee you are losing sodium, and if it's not fully replaced everyday you will suffer the consequences, like what you're feeling now. Sodium needs are 3000-5000mg a day, and just heavy salting of food isn't usually enough. I use sodium tablets, because of this. If I don't get enough (been doing this for a year) sodium everyday, I feel like crud! The need for magnesium supplementation is likely needed too! Using one like mag glycinate, or citrate (not oxide type), is super important too, because it's lost along with the sodium.

For a quick sodium shot, drink a third cup of pickle juice, or eat a pickle....and see if things don't improve for you! Good luck!
  • jocelyn1577
    Options
    Thanks you , I will add more , I do take magnesium daily , I'm going to go eat some pickles & hope this feeling passes
  • KarlaYP
    Options
    I believe it will, and I think you will be surprised how fast you will feel better! Hugs!

Oh, the Pink Himalayan salt is highly recommended and works better than regular ionized table salt! A heavily salted broth is good too!
  • MyPrimalLife
    MyPrimalLife Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    wow i have never experienced any of that. maybe i'm missing-out.
    :p
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    So, even though you get "a ton" of sodium, it may not be what you actually require. And may not be as much as you think.
    An average low carb person needs between 3000 and 5000mg of sodium a day. You really can't get that just by salting foods. You have to specifically choose salty foods in addition to salting other foods, drink broth or take a sodium tablet. AND, the more water you drink, the more sodium you need. AND, when ketones are high, you tend to urinate more, resulting in more water, sodium, magnesium and potassium loss.
    So, that's the next piece of the puzzle. If you've been low on sodium, you're probably very deficient on magnesium and possibly a little deficient on potassium too.
    Magnesium is used every day all day and is dumped with water when sodium is low. Everyone (almost) is already deficient anyway because soils are depleted and our food just doesn't have as much as it should. Supplementing a form that ends in "ate", like glycinate, will help restore over 300 enzymatic processes and balance your hydration. Anywhere from 400 to 800 mg (or more) a day.
  • dietbepsi
    dietbepsi Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I might go to the dr!
  • dietbepsi
    Options
    I mean with your pupils being dilated and everything. It sounds like it could be more than a sodium issue. I hope you feel better and keep us posted
  • Panda_Poptarts
    Panda_Poptarts Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    When I'm feeling like crap, a cube of bullion in a cup of hot water does the trick. It's about 2,500mg of sodium at once.
  • jocelyn1577
    Options
    Thanks everyone , for advice and wise words , 4 pickles later & some chicken stock & I feel completely normal , it was just Monday that I upped my water from 2ltrs a day to 3 , but I didn't add more salt , so I will be watching that closely from now on, so now I am celebrating because I've finally adapted after 3 long months
  • KarlaYP
    Options
    Yay @jocelyn1577! Rinse and repeat as needed, lol! Glad you're feeling better! :smiley:
  • jocelyn1577
    Options
    @karlottap thank you
  • KarlaYP
    Options
    :smiley: That's what this is all about my dear! :blush:
  • dietbepsi
    Options
    That's great to hear I'm glad that's all it was!
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    Glad you're feeling better!