No wonder so many of us are sick and overweight

Options
auntstephie321
auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
I used to see things like this and think "what a cool idea" now I think "wow that actually looks like poison, why are we not cooking with oil and eggs?" Instead we are substituting soda pop! It's insane.

lre8xve8790c.jpg

Replies

• KetoGirl83
    KetoGirl83 Posts: 546 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I don't even understand what that's supposed to illustrate. I've never made a cake from a box, are you supposed to use the soda to "cook" the cake or to drink with the finished product?
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Wow... I hear you. Five or ten years ago I might have tried this but now it just seems like a frankenfood experiment. The saddest part is that most people I know would not understand why it is a bad idea.
  • auntstephie321
    Options
    KetoGirl83 wrote: »
    I don't even understand what that's supposed to illustrate. I've never made a cake from a box, are you supposed to use the soda to "cook" the cake or to drink with the finished product?

Yes you pour the soda in the mix instead of adding oil and eggs and bake it.
  • KetoGirl83
    Options
    KetoGirl83 wrote: »

Yes you pour the soda in the mix instead of adding oil and eggs and bake it.

OMG! My Mother would have a fit at such an idea. And why would anyone eat a mix of unknown chemicals when a simple cake is so easy to do? Sometimes I so miss a still warm cake with my tea. Sadly I'll probably never have it again but compared with that it was the fountain of youth (flour, butter, eggs, orange juice and orange peel). Better stop thinking about it.

• carlsoda
    carlsoda Posts: 3,412 Member
    Options
    I did this during my weight watcher days, cake mix with diet pop. It was good mind you, and low in points but not good for you :) awe memories!
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I never ate those things anyway, which might be reflected in the fact that I've never been overweight by BMI standards. I'm pretty healthy, but everything is not perfect just because my weight is healthy.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    I did use the boxed cake mixes. Never with the soda though! I don't think I would have liked it!
  • cottagegirl71
    cottagegirl71 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    that looks disgusting! :s
  • LowCarbInScotland
    LowCarbInScotland Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    I've been low carb way too long to even remember thinking that cake out of a box is desirable. If I was going to binge on cake when I was LCLF, it was going to be some really yummy cake from a bakery (and not one inside a grocery store), followed of course by an entire weekend of eating utter garbage because I felt so guilty and ashamed of myself and what better way to deal with those emotions than eat more? Thank god those days are behind me!
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    "SINLESS" DEVIL'S FOOD CAKE Total carbs: ~480

The mere fact that you're not sinning doesn't mean you won't need insulin.
  • auntstephie321
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »

Haha but just think about how much faster you'll get to heaven
  • KarlynKeto
    KarlynKeto Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    That photo looks like a shelf in my pantry before I started my focus on getting healthy six months ago (and 60 pounds ago!). I kept cake mixes and canned frosting and so much other sugary type foods as STAPLES in my pantry. I would always walk that isle when shopping just to buy what was on sale. I'd bake batches of cupcakes for friends or with the excuse I wanted to send my husband to work with a batch, but of course that was after eating several myself. I never did the soda can version before, but I did do the jello version quite often. Gah!! What was I thinking?!! Never again.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »

Haha but just think about how much faster you'll get to heaven

So that's the point!
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    KarlynKeto wrote: »
    That photo looks like a shelf in my pantry before I started my focus on getting healthy six months ago (and 60 pounds ago!). I kept cake mixes and canned frosting and so much other sugary type foods as STAPLES in my pantry. I would always walk that isle when shopping just to buy what was on sale. I'd bake batches of cupcakes for friends or with the excuse I wanted to send my husband to work with a batch, but of course that was after eating several myself. I never did the soda can version before, but I did do the jello version quite often. Gah!! What was I thinking?!! Never again.

Are you sure you're not my wife? This is my pantry and exactly what she does.
  • KarlynKeto
    KarlynKeto Posts: 323 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    FIT_Goat wrote: »
    Are you sure you're not my wife? This is my pantry and exactly what she does.

If you also have frozen cookie dough in the house, we might be married! They are needed for those emergency cookie bakes that happened quite often. (**facepalm**, that was another bad habit I had.)

• LINIA
    LINIA Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    Very Interesting post and if we look around, the answer to better health is right in front of us.
  • sault_girl
    sault_girl Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I'm just amazed at how many people are FLOORED that I can make a cake from scratch. Like they cannot wrap their heads around it. They think I'm an alien when I say I made the icing, too.... but <sigh> I don't do much baking these days. I used to make all my own bread and muffins and everything from scratch...
  • auntstephie321
    Options
    sault_girl wrote: »
    I'm just amazed at how many people are FLOORED that I can make a cake from scratch. Like they cannot wrap their heads around it. They think I'm an alien when I say I made the icing, too.... but <sigh> I don't do much baking these days. I used to make all my own bread and muffins and everything from scratch...

Same here. I'm planning to make low carb gf red velvet cupcakes for my sister and my birthday next weekend. I'm really kind of excited to bake something again. I can guarantee it won't include a can of soda lol
  • KetoGirl83
    Options
    sault_girl wrote: »

Same here. Sadly for some people even "good" carbs are bad carbs. I also used to make cakes and bread and most everything from scratch and still ended T2D. For me it's either carbs + meds or no carbs + no meds. I'm grateful that there is an option without meds.

::flowerforyou::
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    carlsoda wrote: »
    I did this during my weight watcher days, cake mix with diet pop. It was good mind you, and low in points but not good for you :) awe memories!

LOL Yep I've done it before with the diet soda, too!

Though my preferred swap was a can of pumpkin with a box of cake mix. Yum.