Doing a 5k tomorrow - please give me day before LC/HF food advice

Options
LINIA
LINIA Posts: 1,046 Member
Have done 5k's before but new to this WOE, what should I eat today to prepare for tomorrow am? Severe coconut, nut & dairy allergies --- should I eat regular carbs today above 20-50 grams of carbs? Thanks.

Replies

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I would do whatever you did in your training. Race day is not a great day to experiment, IMO.

Good luck and have fun! :)
  • erinseattle
    erinseattle Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    If you're fat adapted, all you have to do is eat normally and hydrate :)
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    I'd do it fasted
  • KarlynKeto
    KarlynKeto Posts: 323 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Stay on keto, you can do it
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    If you're very new to low carb, you're going to have a hard time. The longer you're low carb, the more adapted you'll be and don't need any extra carbs at all.
  • Working2BLean
    Working2BLean Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    5K may be a personal stretch but it isn't going to require any change in your eating. You will probably burn 500 calories and you have that stored in glycogen

Just relax and enjoy the accomplishment !

Your body adapts to burn more fat as you are on a low carb lifestyle. So it will be fine!

No need to worry at all.

Good luck!
  • LINIA
    Options
    Began LC about 1/6/2016 - thanks for advice, have to admit am kind of concerned because of losing the hour in the morning and normally breakfast is "bulletproof" (w/o coconut stuff)....
  • bisky
    bisky Posts: 983 Member
    Options
    I did a 5k today and I had two eggs and turkey bacon plus coffee. Did fine. In fact afterwards we (a group who did this run on base) went out for lunch several hours later and I was not that hungry. More thirsty....drank a liter of sparkling water at lunch.
  • LINIA
    Options
    @bisky First 5K since beginning low carb & what time did you eat breakfast?
  • bisky
    Options
    I ate at 0730 and 5K at 1000 (here in Italy) :) Goodluck! Now 8pm going to bed early.
  • BRobertson23
    BRobertson23 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I just ran a 5K this morning and I ate half an avocado, 1 egg and 2 slices of thick cut bacon. I still had plenty of energy. I'm working my way towards running a 10K for the first time with this WOE myself, and in the past I would do toast with peanut butter or oatmeal to fuel myself before those longer races...I'm keeping track to see how this WOE works for energy and fuel for longer runs....but I don't consider a 5K a "longer" run....For me, I just know that I need to have eaten something at least an hour before race time to help me do well. If I wait too long (like 2+ hours) I will likely pass out, which is almost what happened at my last 5K in October when I ate 2+ hours before my race and tried not to eat a bunch, but I tapped out my resources and felt dizzy and light-headed. Good luck!!
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    I'm running a 5K tomorrow as well. My first low-carb 5K was the same St Paddy's Day race, one year ago.

If you haven't tried running fasted while low-carb, you absolutely should. At first you'll be amazed, and then you'll be hooked -- fueled entirely by body fat. Plus it'll give you bragging rights since all of the sugar-burners will be in awe. :)
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    wabmester wrote: »
    If you haven't tried running fasted while low-carb, you absolutely should. At first you'll be amazed, and then you'll be hooked -- fueled entirely by body fat. Plus it'll give you bragging rights since all of the sugar-burners will be in awe. :)

Ya, I did a Spartan race fasted. It was cool. The lunch afterward definitely hit the spot!

• LINIA
    edited March 2016
    Options
    @wabmester @kirkor

Fasted, even though have only been LC/HF since 1/6/2016

Also, have been wondering about hydration?
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    2 months is plenty of time to adapt, especially if you've been running during that period.

The only reason some people fret about fueling a run is because they're more dependent on glucose than you are.

You've been fueled mostly by fat for 2 months now. The safest bet is to change nothing. But try a fasted run when you're less nervous about the outcome.

Bring a baggy with nuts or something if you're worried about bonking or hypoglycemia or even just plain old hunger. I'd be surprised if you ever feel the urge to eat something from that bag.

No need to worry about hydration either. Drink if thirsty, but it's best to wait till after the race if you can.

The only thing "special" about fueling for low-carb exercise is potentially a greater need for sodium. I used to eat a pickle before and after a run just to ensure I had some sodium, especially in the summer when you lose more via sweat.

If you feel light-headed, fatigued, or a headache shortly after your run, that's a sign that you need some sodium. It'll fix you up pretty quickly.

FWIW, the last organized event I did was a bike ride a couple weeks ago. 3 hours on a very hilly course. I brought a bag of snacks with me. Never opened the bag. Not a bit tempted. I wasn't even a little hungry for several hours after the ride.
  • LINIA
    Options
    @wabmester -will bring pickles etc as a back up - thanks for info esp timeline on adaptation.
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    I did a 5K three weeks into keto. My speed and stamina were still a little lower at that point but I just ate my normal LCHF food and had a relatively good race. Good luck!
  • bisky
    Options
    How did it go??
  • LINIA
    Options
    @wabmester @bisky @kirkor @BRobertson23 @Sunny_Bunny_ @Working2BLean @KarlynKeto @erinseattle @nvmomketo :):D:)

The 5k went very well, my first as Keto Adapted, it was the 5th 5k i've done--used some of EVERYONE's advice ----am feeling really good about this WOE. Thanks again Lc/Hf pals.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Great! Congrats on doing it. :)