bored of plain meats any ideas to make it tasty ??

really getting bored of plain chicken and other meats. tomatoe based sauce is making me feel sick.is there any others that are fat free to try?

Replies

• firephoenix8
    firephoenix8 Posts: 102 Member
    Not sauce exactly, but I had a recipe call for herbes de provence recently (it's a French spice blend, Provençe being a region in France), and it was really really good.

http://www.recipe.com/chicken-spiced-apples/
  • quzzdragon
    quzzdragon Posts: 140 Member
    Chicken in particular is a boring meat. It's versatile and is low-fat low-calorie, but it's boring. Definitely need something to spice it up.

I just made Hasselback chicken last night (http://tiphero.com/hasselback-chicken/) and it was super easy and SO tasty.

I also LOVE this recipe for salsa fresca (http://thecozyapron.com/pan-seared-salmon/). I put it over salmon the first time (super good) and over pan seared chicken the second time. I cut my chicken into small pieces, seasoned liberally with salt, pepper, and Italian seasoning, threw it in a pan with a little olive oil and garlic, cooked it hard to get a nice brown color, and mixed it in with this salsa. There was so much of the salsa that it made 4 heaping servings - so much that I didn't even add a starch with dinner that night.

Hope that helps. Definitely try mixing up your herbs and consider non-fat yoghurt sauce recipes. Also try soups and slow-cooker recipes to get moist chicken that's flavorful.
  • ChelseaPeanut
    ChelseaPeanut Posts: 15 Member
    This is the best chicken I've ever had.

Rinse about 4 chicken breasts or 10 boneless, skinless tenders.
    Take one packet of Italian dressing seasoning and mix it with 2 tablespoons of brown sugar.
    Dip each piece of chicken in the mixture.
    Lay on a foiled lined baking sheet and bake for 45 minutes at 375.00
    Super easy and the mixtures cooks to a delicious caramelized coating.
  • Taryn628S
    Taryn628S Posts: 7 Member
    This is the best chicken I've ever had.

Rinse about 4 chicken breasts or 10 boneless, skinless tenders.
    Take one packet of Italian dressing seasoning and mix it with 2 tablespoons of brown sugar.
    Dip each piece of chicken in the mixture.
    Lay on a foiled lined baking sheet and bake for 45 minutes at 375.00
    Super easy and the mixtures cooks to a delicious caramelized coating.

This sounds soo yummy! Making it tomorrow!
  • guinevere96
    guinevere96 Posts: 1,445 Member
    Chicken with chinese style honey glaze is a nice treat sometimes :) lots of recipes on pinterest.
  • SamanthaLeeann1
    SamanthaLeeann1 Posts: 12 Member
    Do you like bone in chicken? I find it is way more tasty and often adds to the same calories if I "jazzed up" a chicken breast. I roast drumsticks, thighs, etc. in the oven with all different kinds of spices. My favorite recently has been drumsticks with salt, pepper, orange zest and oregano on a tray with crumbled chorizo and new potatoes. Roast it all in the oven and you have a full meal (just add veggie!)
  • jgwriternyc
    jgwriternyc Posts: 22 Member
    edited February 2016
    Been craving southern fried chicken, so I took some almond flour, and simply organic has a chophouse seasoning mainly for steaks, but I mixed the seasoning with the almond flour, coated the chicken thighs, legs, and wings... and baked..... delicious!!!

(Simply Organic Chophouse Seasoning – Kansas City, Chicago and Montreal are all known for their steak seasonings . . . well, our Chophouse blend combines the best of the best for a taste that will have chicken and pork wishing they weren’t “other” white meat! All Simply Organic Grinders have adjustable grinder tops. Pull up for a coarse grind and push the grinder top down for a more fine grind.)

https://www.simplyorganic.com/products.php?ct=sogrindertop&cn=Chophouse+Seasoning
  • ForeverSunshine09
    ForeverSunshine09 Posts: 966 Member
    I use a spice blend of paprika, chili powder, garlic powder and onion powder. It is so delicious on any chicken. We also do an Anniversary chicken which depending on the size of your breast can be low cal. It is breaded with Panko and Italian seasoned breadcrumbs. Browned in a small amount of oil then put in a casserole dish topped with some ranch, shredded cheese, green onions and bac o bits or real bacon bits. Doesn't sound low cal but if you are careful a breast can be under 300 cals easily.
  • Melodieccurn
    Melodieccurn Posts: 966 Member
    I love smoked paprika which is a combination of red sweet peepers ground with other spices. It will give your food a nice hickory smoked taste and a tiny kick.
  • punkyb07
    punkyb07 Posts: 43 Member
    I love green curry sauce. Using lite coconut milk it comes to about 15 calories per tablespoon and its simple to make. 1 can of lite coconut milk, 1 tbsp of green curry paste (I add more), 1 tbps of brown sugar, and basil. I cook my chicken with salt and pepper and then add 2 tbsp of this on top.
  • hlegace
    hlegace Posts: 8 Member
    Try lemon chicken recipes. they're great and refreshing.
  • MarciBkonTrk
    MarciBkonTrk Posts: 310 Member
    I like to make cornflake crusted chicken thighs. I take skinless chicken thighs and dip them in buttermilk mixed with hot sauce. Then I dredge them in ground cornflake crumbs (seasoned with salt, pepper, garlic powder, and paprika) and bake for about an hour at 350 degrees. Usually when I make that chicken I serve it with some type of salad. I love spinach, arugula, and romaine mixed together then sprinkled with some low sugar dried cranberries and nuts.
  • michproca
    michproca Posts: 19 Member
    If you brine the chicken the day before, it will add a lot of flavor and moisture to it and will help enhance any recipe.
  • Btheodore138
    Btheodore138 Posts: 182 Member
    edited March 2016
    I got sick of eating plain chicken breasts, so I do a mock chicken cordon blu. I pound a boneless chicken breast, season well and cook it all the way through. I split it in two and on one half I top it with some sliced ham and one asiago or swiss laughing cheese wedge and top with other chicken breast half, like a sandwich. I also make a lot of chicken stir fry, which is just cooked chicken, stir fry veggies, and soy sauce, ginger, and garlic.
  • sandykay71
    sandykay71 Posts: 1 Member
    What do you recommend for someone who doesn't like chicken? My husband refuses to eat it.
  • smit7633
    smit7633 Posts: 182 Member
    Eating plain chicken is not essential to weight loss. There are thousand of low cal recipes out there which don't call for chicken! Sorry you have a chicken hater at home! Good luck!
    sandykay71 wrote: »
    What do you recommend for someone who doesn't like chicken? My husband refuses to eat it.

• Jaxxy01
    Jaxxy01 Posts: 18 Member
    staceyjox wrote: »
    really getting bored of plain chicken and other meats. tomatoe based sauce is making me feel sick.is there any others that are fat free to try?

My daughter hated chicken until I discovered the simplest Balsamic recipe EVER!

Just slice your chicken breasts in half so they're not too thick to pan fry them with salt and pepper. Once cooked, remove chicken from the pan and prepare Balsamic sauce in it. Pour 1/2 cup of Kraft Italian salad dressing in the pan, along with 3 tbsp's of balsamic vinegar and 2 tbsp's of honey. Mix them together and bring to a boil. Then add your chicken to it along with some grape tomatoes cut in half. Cover the pan to allow the tomatoes to soften, then serve. ENJOY!!
  • 64heyjude
    64heyjude Posts: 38 Member
    Try some of the little dry gravy packets.Just add water and they are fat-free and almost no cal. Chicken,pork,or beef.